cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dawn dish washing trick ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several posts about caulking mention using the " Dawn dishwashing trick " . Whats dat !
14 REPLIES 14

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We use the **** out of it.....for EVERYTHING.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Dawn dish soap is the only soap you need in your TC..Great for fleas and ticks for your pets...

Good stuff!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to try to spray it on the awning on my open range, then role the awning up wet for a couple hours. My awning has not been white for years. I even have shirts with bleach marks on them from trying to clean it.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
downtheroad wrote:
Works great for washing the roof too, but Dawn makes it real slippery up there so be careful......(maybe wear spiked golf shoes).....:B

Helps if you rinse it off...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Works great for washing the roof too, but Dawn makes it real slippery up there so be careful......(maybe wear spiked golf shoes).....:B

Better than rubber roof cleaner?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The "trick" the OP wrote of is to put a few drops of Dawn in the water you dip your finger in to smooth the caulk. I find it works well enough just to use the water alone though.
If you really want it to look clean, mask the area with tape before caulking.

It also does a great job for washing vehicles but as mentioned above, it also removes wax.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Few drops of Dawn in a squirt bottle stops stink bugs in their tracks.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
If using Dawn for washing your vehicles, keep in mind it is a grease cutter so if you have it waxed, Dawn will remove the wax.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Dawn dish soap for years to wash all of my vehicles, including my camper. It works great.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
There's also this one with a squirt bottle, cool idea except he keeps using the silicone word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4t6VDmwbD8

Keith

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've never heard of it referenced here for cleaning up stains.

My usage is this:

Mix up a small bowl or cup with water and some dish washing soap. After applying the caulking, dip you finger in the solution and smooth out the caulk if it needs it. Keep your finger wet with the solution.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. A friend of mine showed me the Dawn answer to stains just last year.

Dawn used straight out of the bottle, put on a wet dish rag, will take out ANY stain on your clothing you can think of in an instant. Even old stains. Blood, grease, bbq sauce etc. all come right out.

There isn't a stain removal product out there that works as well as Dawn. I use it all over now.

Go figure!! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Good question. The Dawn Dishwashing Trick I know of is one that I use to clean our awning and works great as a cleaner and whitener. Equal parts of Dawn dishwashing liquid soap and white vinegar in hot water. There is another formula for whitening that I have never used but heard it works great for stains on clothing - same formula, but instead of vinegar you use hydrogen peroxide. Both could work to whiten and clean the caulking.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton