cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Toll or not to Toll

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
I got my hands on free 4 days worth of Disney tickets for the family, so plans have changed and we are going to Orlando from Minneapolis, MN using the TC instead of Zion NP :(. Now when I plan my trip I see two routes.

1. With tolls 250+ miles less
or
2. No Tolls- 250+ miles more

Since its about a $80 difference in gas...do I go the toll route as it wont cost as much or go the no toll route to avoid the hassle.

What are all your thoughts? do you normally go out of the way to avoid tolls? What do I need to know about tolls in IL and IOWA?

Thanks for your time!
02 GMC 3500 Auto DRW RWD 4.10
2003 Lance 1130 - ROTTEN and Gone
1997 Bigfoot 10.6
30 REPLIES 30

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Do the tolls. Less crowded roads and better condition. It's vacation after all.

BTW, if you haven't already, spend a few hours looking over this web site;

https://www.undercovertourist.com/?gclid=CJuTrIPBocQCFYOTfgodkQoAuw

Excellent info on crowds and what and where to go using past data.

Also, if you don't know how to use fastpass, learn. Will save you a bunch of standing in lines.

Take time to enjoy Disneyworld. Take the boat across to the magic kingdom at least on one of the days.

Food isn't that bad of a price in the parks for lunch. Maybe $10 per person. Much better than hauling food around all day. Make your reservations and it's even better

Went with the grand kids last spring and I already want to go back! Disneyworld is huge. If you are having crowd issues, then just go to some other part of the park(s). There really isn't a bad place to spend time there.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tolls that you must be talking about are in Illinois, Last time we went through the state I believe it was only about 10 or 12 bucks. Plus Florida has tolls to. Your daughter will love Disney world. have a great trip.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
hikerdmb wrote:
Zion will always be there. Your daughter will only be six once. Sometimes you have to take one for the team (daughter). Good dad. Take the toll road.

X2 - This sums it up nicely.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only tolls you need to pay are ones down in FL if you take the turnpike from I75 to Disney. Avoiding the tolls only adds 100 miles. Time wise probably about the same since you will be avoiding the congestion of IL and IN.

I35 to Kansas City
I70 to St Louis
I64 to I57 to I24 to Nashville
I24 to Chattanooga
I75 to FL
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

hikerdmb
Explorer
Explorer
Zion will always be there. Your daughter will only be six once. Sometimes you have to take one for the team (daughter). Good dad. Take the toll road.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
If decide to go the toll route I would suggest getting a trasponder. The tolls are half asmuch money. I live in Illinois and the transponder has worked in Indiana, Pensylvania, New York and Illinois.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
Its now or never! free ticket dont come along EVER and with another on the way in Sept it aint getting cheaper. Neat little trick about the long lines, because my wife will be pregnant (3 months) we get a fast pass to the front of all lines due to her special needs (granted she wont be doing any roller coasters). My wife and I have never been to Disney world and have always wanted to since we were poor children, but the biggest reason is my little girl is 6 years old. So it will still be magical for her. 😉

I hear ya ZION NP will be awesome....next year.
1997 Bigfoot 10.6

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow, no way no how I would go to Disney World FL over the Desert Southwest and Zion. You just could not pay me enough to stand in long lines with major crowds. Best of Luck to you.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info.
It looks like the only toll areas I'll be hitting are in IL and IOWA. I'm using the Trip planner from Good Sam Club website which has the option of no toll or toll route.

to avoid tolls in IOWA and IL it say go down 35 all the way from Minneapolis to Des Moines -->80 East to 74S around Peoria, IL, then south on 155/55 to St.Louis -64S to 24 to Nashville

When not avoiding Tolls its telling me go south thru Rochester MN on 52 to 63 to Cedar Rapids IOWA south on 218 basically to St. Louis.then 64 E to 24 South to Nashville.

After nashville both routes appear to be the same minus a small spot in Atlanta

Since we are doing a smokey mountain tour on the way home it has us going all the way to chicago thru wisconson for the toll route and going back through Iowa via 80W and 35N for the no toll route.

Anyone done these routes? is there better trip planning tools online?
1997 Bigfoot 10.6

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I hate toll roads and avoid using them when ever possible. My fuel tax already paid for the road. Nothing but a 'cash cow' for the state.
would rather drive 50 miles around than use a toll road.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Just made a trip to Miami and back. Took TR. Better road and relaxing.
Was with just the Toad.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I am making a similar trip in July. I ordered the Florida SunPass. Costs a little but sure eliminates hassle. Discounts vs. paying in cash too.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Tolls are annoying from Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Stop, start, stop again. But others are pick up a ticket and pay when you get off.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you could give us more detail on your route and we could offer better no toll solutions?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X-2 Pay the tolls