Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Heavy?

johnthomas19
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

New to the message board, new to RV’ing. My wife and I are considering a travel trailer purchase but I’m a bit concerned on my automobiles hauling capabilities.

I have a 2015 Dodge Durango, RW drive. The manuel says it can tow 6,200. We’re looking at buying the 2019 Keystone Passport 2920BH Grand Touring, which has a dry weight of 5,250.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
JT
25 REPLIES 25

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Your Durango will not be happy with that trailer behind it, and you won't be happy trying to drive it.

The trailer is too heavy and long for that vehicle. Crosswinds and passing semis--and yes, you will get passed by semis--will make it a white knuckle ride. Rough pavement will suck. If you have to make evasive maneuvers, you will have marginal control. It will be a white knuckle ride. Two lane roads will be only a little better than the interstate. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

SUVs are a compromise intended to mostly haul people around, maybe pull a boat to the lake on the weekend. A big, high sided TT with a heavy tongue is not within its capability.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
LISTEN to the experts here.... Do no endanger the lives of yourself, family and others on the road.

Chris
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
johnthomas19 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback friends. Let me try to add a bit more color in an attempt to get someone to talk me into this purchase 😉

I live in southeast Michigan which is extremely flat. For the first year or so, my plan is only to take the trailer down to Monroe, about a 30-45 min drive. My next automobile will be a truck and at that time we’ll start venturing out further. I plan on buying a good bar weight distribution system.

You guys are the experts...am I still crazy?

You can rent any of the Big Three 3/4 ton trucks for $75 bucks/100 miles per day from Enterprise truck rental, and the gas or diesel were the same price.

I always got the gas trucks.

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
At least he asked before he purchased the trailer, most listen to the dealership...

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Research and education about vehicle and camper weights will help you make an informed decision. Dry weight and tow weight are arguably the least important ones.
You did not mention payload, tongue weight, or gross vehicle weights. These are the more important numbers. Someone telling you it’ll be fine or that you will kill everyone around you without all the facts or numbers is just silly.
Figure out what you can safely tow with the Durango. Get all the weights and then run the numbers.

I do not understand the folks who say a short trip is safer than a long one. A squirrelly setup is still dangerous no matter how far you are from home.

The one advantage of shorter trips is that you can drive all backroads and keep your speed to 55 or under and can also pack lighter thus keeping the trailer weight closer to the sticker weight.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnthomas19 wrote:
Hi all,

New to the message board, new to RV’ing. My wife and I are considering a travel trailer purchase but I’m a bit concerned on my automobiles hauling capabilities.

I have a 2015 Dodge Durango, RW drive. The manuel says it can tow 6,200. We’re looking at buying the 2019 Keystone Passport 2920BH Grand Touring, which has a dry weight of 5,250.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
JT

In your very first post, you quote "6,200" pounds for the trucks towing capacity. Know that those towing capacities are for something like a hay wagon with wheels on each corner so absolutely NO trailer weight is on the truck. There is no travel trailer built like that, so that number is grossly over generous. That number needs to be, at least, cut in half.

You also quote the dry weight of the trailer at "5,250" pounds. Know that the dry weight has no bearing on a trailer's actual weight. It is a marketing number to make their trailer's look better. It needs to be increased by, at least, 25%.

So, a more reasonable estimate of what you are suggesting is that a truck that can safely tow 3,100 pounds has a trailer that weighs 6,600 pounds.

You are more than twice the weight that your truck can safely handle.

To put this in perspective, MY F-150 is listed by Ford as capable of towing 11,800 pounds, but I bought a TT with a 4,806 pound dry weight. My trailer COULD be a little larger, but not a whole lot larger. I would have been OK with a trailer with a dry weight up to, maybe, 6,000 pounds, but I would have been nervous towing it in mountains.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Research and education about vehicle and camper weights will help you make an informed decision. Dry weight and tow weight are arguably the least important ones.
You did not mention payload, tongue weight, or gross vehicle weights. These are the more important numbers. Someone telling you it’ll be fine or that you will kill everyone around you without all the facts or numbers is just silly.
Figure out what you can safely tow with the Durango. Get all the weights and then run the numbers.

I do not understand the folks who say a short trip is safer than a long one. A squirrelly setup is still dangerous no matter how far you are from home.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
WAY TOO HEAVY!!! My good friend just bought a Durango and has a 24 foot 5500 lbs GVWR trailer and HATED it. He went out and bought an older pickup to tow. Small wheelbase, light SUV with a lighter frame made it unbearable for him. Don't make the same mistake!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnthomas19 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback friends. Let me try to add a bit more color in an attempt to get someone to talk me into this purchase 😉

I live in southeast Michigan which is extremely flat. For the first year or so, my plan is only to take the trailer down to Monroe, about a 30-45 min drive. My next automobile will be a truck and at that time we’ll start venturing out further. I plan on buying a good bar weight distribution system.

Have you come here for real advice or to find someone who will validate a poor decision for you? You will be overweight and unsafe with that combination. Please do not drive it on roads where my family and I might be.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
So you live Downriver? Have you checked your hitch receivers capacity? you will likely have north of 900 lbs on the hitch. Your making a common mistake of thinking that since your vehicles tow capacity is greater than the weight of the trailer, then you'll be fine. Plus, your looking at brochure dry weight numbers - are you towing with nothing in it, no batteries or propane?

Tow capacity is a fantasy number when it comes to towing a high walled travel trailer. Research payload and if you do decide to do it, have your family go in a separate vehicle. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
johnthomas19 wrote:

You're not crazy, just a risk-taker and not a vehicle expert.

There are two risks you may not have calculated: 1) The possibility that overloading the Durango will shorten its life or lead to the failure of a component. 2) Overloading the Durango may make an unsafe driving situation, one that may lead to an accident.

If you are so in love with the trailer that you can't select another, it may be a better alternative to rent a truck for the few times you travel until the purchase of an adequate tow vehicle.

Don't feel alone. There are others that ask on this Forum if they should tow a trailer that is a bad fit for their tow vehicle. Some argue the point and make the decision to go forward. Some of these folks realize after their first outing that buying a new tow vehicle is the only way to keep using their new trailer. It can be a costly hiccup to what otherwise, should be happy camping adventure.

Good luck with your TT buying experience.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
"You guys are the experts...am I still crazy? "

With those parameters of a short drive in my opinion you should be OK.

That said, you will be maxing out your Durango, but that doesn't mean it's going to self destruct the moment you hook up the trailer.
It does mean that you should be very conservative on how you drive and how you load it up. A second "shuttle" vehicle with the family in it might be a good idea if you have lots of "stuff" to take along....bikes/toys/etc.

The fact that you realize that a bigger truck is in your future is a good thing. Any longer trips would absolutely require it.

For the interim though, if you can get your family out camping in a trailer you love then I'd say go for it....but carefully 🙂

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Way too much trailer for such a small truck.

It will not end up well.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

johnthomas19
Explorer
Explorer