cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topper (solid) or Cap ?

ttsr4us
Explorer
Explorer
My DW prefers the Truck cap, I favor a solid Tonneau because it looks cool!

I have my own ideas about some of the pros and cons. Apart from the extra load carry height and any fuel economy 'savings' are there any other things I should consider. Off course a good locking system.

It will probably live 100% on the truck. I know we will carry all that weight around. Also considering a slide out tray. Will save my back a bit. (These two 'extras' sure make it difficult to fit a fifth wheel hitch at the same time :B )

From my research so far, I'll probably go for an ARE of some sort, if Tonneau it will be with the scissor action for better bed sealing.

Unless you can provide me with solid information, I'm afraid my DW will win. But then a happy wife ............ 🙂

Thanks Guys.

Brian and Esta.
Brian and Esta

previously 2 Trailers and 2 Motorhomes, back in the trailer game.

GMC Sierra 3500HD 2WD, SLT Crew Short Bed. Duramax. 2014

Airstream 2016 Flying Cloud 30 RB with 2 a/c + Window Awnings
25 REPLIES 25

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Easy...

Travel Trailer = Cap. You'll need the storage.
5th wheel = Solid Tonneau. Don't need storage, no need to remove cover.

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a Leer XR100 on my F350. Really happy with it, looks great. I went with the pet screens and they are really thick and look like they would help keep prying hands out of the back with the windows open.

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
For a hard canopy I would recommend a canopy with a flip up solid door on the driver side with shelves behind it and a flip up window on the passenger side. You can look through the passenger side window of the canopy but you can not look through the driver side window of the canopy... at least the driver can't.

I really like a door on the driver side of the canopy with shelves behind it. Shelves are very handy to store a ton of stuff with really easy access and easy to organize without really impacting the storage space of the bed at all. The flip up window on the passenger side makes a lot easier to get to stuff in the front of the bed without crawling in though the tailgate.

Some people like a full height door on the back of the canopy. I prefer to keep the tailgate and have a conventional flip up window in the back.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
buddyIam wrote:
I actually have a system to remove my old six pack shell by myself. Just bend over inside the bed using your legs to lift the shell slightly moving it in steps to its balance point. When the rear is on the ground. Go to the ground and Continue to move the shell back off the bed a small distance at a time.

I had an older full size truck LB with a canopy and would do the same. And actually, someone showed me another trick...take a long dowel, broom handle size which is longer than the width of your truck bed, and put that between the canopy and truck rails about 1/2 the way up the truck bed. Then you can roll the canopy back much easier and remove it the rest of the way per your instructions.

Now, back to another point though. My newer full size truck with LB and a purchased new fiberglass canopy, seamless style glass all around it. That canopy is A LOT heavier that any other I have ever had. I am pretty sure it weighs upwards of 300lbs. I can remove it with the help of one additional very strong person but it is still a struggle. Forget trying to get it put back on with only two very strong men. It really takes 3 strong men. I was absolutely shocked at how much this new canopy weighed.
I love me some land yachting

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to keep full visibility out the rear window when backing my trailer so I went with the ARE lid. It is secure and painted to exactly match the truck. 4.5 years and 73,000 miles later it still looks brand new. It wasn't cheap, 950 bucks, but I'm happy with it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What works for me isn't what's going to work for other's, so with that said, I don't have, want or need a full cap for my truck.. Soft, flip top tonneau works great for ME.. 🙂

Just as the full cap works for other's..

Determine what you want to haul in the bed and how accessible/secure you need it to be and there's your answer.. 🙂

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Before you decide take a look at the Snug Top Outback.

Here: http://www.snugtop.com/product/outback

I seriously considered one at one time, but decided it had too many minuses vs the list of plusses.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
with the excessive cost of an airstream, unless you put a million miles a year on it at 2-3 mpg you lose.
bumpy

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Mine has the extended height. It will fit 2 streetbikes (crotchrockets) standing up plus all race gear or one quad. Keeps rain and prying eyes away. Also better aero for the trailer.

that is a sweet set up for sure.. so i am wondering if a "wing" on top of cover would help with aero over the trailer..

We are looking at buying airstream for it aero shape vs box like most TT are.. I have seen reports of same van, Town & Country, pulling regular box, SOB(some other box) trailer as call by AS(Airstreamers) in forums on Airforums.com, and pulling the Airstream getting some 2-3 better MPG over the same route.

I have seen where some when using on newer 5er dont see difference which i guess is due to the new rounded nose they are sporting..

just thinking out loud.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
buddyIam wrote:
With a cap, you will never have to move someones refrigerator.
With a cap, you will never be able to move your own refrigerator.

I am happy with both of the above statements.

I recommend doing as your wife says. Then when your wife asks you to pick up the new refrigerator. Calmly explain to her why you can't.

Actually most shells can be easily removed. But keep it a secret. I actually have a system to remove my old six pack shell by myself. Just bend over inside the bed using your legs to lift the shell slightly moving it in steps to its balance point. When the rear is on the ground. Go to the ground and Continue to move the shell back off the bed a small distance at a time.

wish i would have know this earlier.. 🙂 oh, by the way you can lay a refrigerator on it's side and slide in the truck bed then pull it out and take inside.. just let it sit for 15 or so mins before starting up.. less if the time on side is less than an hour.

it a wife's tale you have to keep them upright all the time.. NOT TRUE.. but for the sake of keeping this on the down low.

You are right.. hahaha..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you decide take a look at the Snug Top Outback.

Here: http://www.snugtop.com/product/outback

ttsr4us
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - just ordered the ARE Z plus 2000 lbs slide out tray and a grill for the air intake in front of the oil cooler.

Comes in two weeks.

Esta is as happy as a clam!

Thanks for the feedback. Most welcome.
Brian and Esta

previously 2 Trailers and 2 Motorhomes, back in the trailer game.

GMC Sierra 3500HD 2WD, SLT Crew Short Bed. Duramax. 2014

Airstream 2016 Flying Cloud 30 RB with 2 a/c + Window Awnings

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the extended height. It will fit 2 streetbikes (crotchrockets) standing up plus all race gear or one quad. Keeps rain and prying eyes away. Also better aero for the trailer.

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the shell on my truck I had both the sliding window and rubber boot.

Both work great.