cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift StableLoads deception

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have purchased and use Torklift tie-downs and Fastguns on my camper and they perform well though I did have to make some modifications with a cutting saw and grinder to get them to fit on my 2011 truck. As a result I continue to get promo offers from the company including one today for their Stableloads.

I took a look to see what their pitch was and found that they provided a summary chart comparing their Stableloads to air bags, new shocks, and an anti-sway bar. They somehow managed to omit the one true alternative to Stableloads which is adding more load capacity with more leaf springs as with the SuperSprings products.

The Stabiloads do reduce motion by restricting the range of motion of the leaf springs on a truck but they do nothing to safely increase the actual load capacity of the truck which requires adding more support. Only Supersprings or air bags provide additional load support.

Only Supersprings or adding leaf springs results in additional load carrying capacity that need never be adjusted or repaired for the life of the truck. Anytime a solution is accompanied by a new point of failure or interferes with the factory engineering of the suspension I have learned from experience to avoid it and find another one.
46 REPLIES 46

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
wintersun wrote:
....The ONLY upgrade that actually increases the load capacity of a truck is the AIRBAGS.

This is getting more confusing. First you said only SuperSprings add load capacity, now you say Airbags are the only thing that adds load capacity.... ?!?!?

Your first post:

wintersun wrote:
...is adding more load capacity with more leaf springs as with the SuperSprings products.

It's like this...

And yes, that's a horse not a dead dog.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
....The ONLY upgrade that actually increases the load capacity of a truck is the AIRBAGS.

This is getting more confusing. First you said only SuperSprings add load capacity, now you say Airbags are the only thing that adds load capacity.... ?!?!?

Your first post:

wintersun wrote:
...is adding more load capacity with more leaf springs as with the SuperSprings products.
Bob

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jay, Joel, Is that one of you guys from Torklift trying to see who loyal fans are by stirring things up? Boy that's very deceptive of you guys and a great marketing ploy. You guys do know right, that I've used your lower Stableloads for seven years now and you've just sent me my second set to install? They have worked fabulously with my airbags and like you said have let me reduce the air in my airbags yet still have little to know sway. I don't know how you swayed me to do that but I can now leaf my rear suspension alone without the huge cost of additional overloads or suoersprings. Your Stableloads do exactly what you say they do as a low cost product and I appreciate a company that gives a full accounting of what to expect from their products. I have gotten more bang for my buck out of them than the last M80 I put in my neighbors trashcan. We have had so much fun 4wheeling with your Stableloads, I can only hope to be around long enough to have you send me a third set somewhere in the distant future. Thanks again you guys, what a great deceptive marketing scheme you have here, wow, you guys rock!!
Your friend, Whazoo...no B.S. here

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
wintersun wrote:
Sorry, .............................................

The ONLY upgrade that actually increases the load capacity of a truck is the AIRBAGS.

What was noticeable to me but evidently missed by everyone was the omission of SuperSprings. That is why I said it was deceptive.

In my book, it is not deceptive to NOT be compared with every product on the market. That would be comprehensive if done, but not a requirement that I am aware of.

Agreed.

To the OP... you you keep saying certain items increases the load capacity of a truck, that right there IS deceptive.

airbags, sway bars, shocks, superspring, stableloads and the like, don't increase the load capacity of the truck, they increase the load control of the weight being carried, which can improve the way a truck handles.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
...What was noticeable to me but evidently missed by everyone was the omission of SuperSprings. That is why I said it was deceptive.

I don't consider that to be deceptive. (not mentioning SuperSprings, the product that you talk about all too often.)

Deceptive would be providing mis-information.
Bob

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ahh... closer to understanding, youve somehow read into the product description they have something to do with 'load capacity'. No where is that suggested. Its clearly load CONTROL, emphasized several times.

So indeed, why compare to a product that has a different purpose? Stableloads are closer to sway bar & shocks in purpose, handling.
The comparison to air bags also is on the sway control aspect of air bags..not the ability to add weight. (though the sway control of air bags is limited and can adversly affect, not there intent but mine do reduce sway by the simple limiting of lean).

Regardless this isnt a win situation-what ever works for you is great- Its the 'passion' thats hard to grasp. Ive done a few after market things and was stoked with results. I might recommend but couldnt imagine being that absolute others need to follow. Different mind set I guess.
Not sure: other folks not coming to the same conclusion as yourself and install the same products you have one could make the assumption they are uniformed or misinformed. Thats a statement:h.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
Sorry, .............................................

The ONLY upgrade that actually increases the load capacity of a truck is the AIRBAGS.

What was noticeable to me but evidently missed by everyone was the omission of SuperSprings. That is why I said it was deceptive.

In my book, it is not deceptive to NOT be compared with every product on the market. That would be comprehensive if done, but not a requirement that I am aware of.

I guess it is all in the semantics and opinions.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, evidently my post was not clear enough for people to understand. If anyone bothers to look at the Torklift website they will see a comparison chart showing the features of Stableloads compared to AIRBAGS, compared to SWAY BARS, and compared to SHOCKS.

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/suspension/stableload#overview

What was noticeable to me but evidently missed by everyone was the omission of SuperSprings. That is why I said it was deceptive. They compared Stableloads to airbags and no other load capacity upgrade. Had they included SuperSprings or any other set of overload springs the column would have had green check marks all the way down and a cost of $450 with an install time of 1 hour.

With few exceptions pickup trucks are not shipped from the factory ready to handle a 3,000 pound or heavier camper in the bed. Most require modification to provide safe handling with such a load with it high center of gravity.

I have installed Torklift products on my truck and recommend them to others. I have done product evaluations for them for which they offered to provide me with payment which I declined. I do not recommend their Stableloads product as I think they are the wrong way to go. Yes they reduce sway but only by reducing the range of travel of the stock leaf springs. For the same relative amount of money I would put on Supersprings and reduce sway while at the same time gaining load capacity with the additional leaf springs.

If Torklift wants to be honest they should provide a chart that includes Stableloads or adding leaf springs when compared to Stableloads.

Mark Twain commented “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you read the newspaper you’re misinformed.” It would appear that many like to be both misinformed and uninformed.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift asked me if I wanted to be an ambassador for them and test products. I had to turn down this offer since we really do not accessorize our TC much and would not make good testers. And yet they still sent me a free hat, pocket knife and bumper sticker (I did request the bumper sticker), so once again as far as I am concerned, Torklift is one heck of a good company.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reading all of this I will be ordering a set for my F 250, we just bought a Lance 825 the sticker reads 2044 pounds so I figure loaded about 2600 pounds. For under 200 bucks they are worth it. Thanks for the info.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
BradW wrote:
How do you know he uses three different forum names?

Read the posts...

Have you EVER seen a pic of this person and their rig?
A trip report?
Ever?

Their "initials" are pretty funny too..."BS"!

Just sayin'...

p.s. maybe they can put it to rest and post their rig in the picture thread...

Definitely the same person. Probably has a camper.

Redsky:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27607919/gotomsg/27609499.cfm#27609499

wintersun:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28228021/gotomsg/28230094.cfm#28230094

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye, your DH is one brave guy and that is all I'll say about that...:-)

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for this thread! You've convinced me that stable loads are the way to go!

DH thinks we have a bit of sag (in the rear) while loaded. If the stable loads can fix that, it would be perfect! We have very little sway, but these sound like they will fix it as well.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
billtex wrote:
... maxum,not so sure this Guy actually owns any camper/truck, etc. ...

... Posts under 3 different user names (elkhornsun/wintersun/redsky) and has NEVER posted a pic of their rig on various forums. This is very unusual-(we all like to show off our rigs!). ...

elkhornsun
Your search returned no results

redsky - Ben Sampson

This post suggest he/she has a TC, solar charger wiring

Here, a Lance 845,
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Lance 855s

Here a Lance camper,
Buying first TT - New or Used?

wintersun - Bruce Stenman

3400 lb. camper
Help with payload

Here a camper
Winter fuel consumption Propane Furnace

Just saying.

After reading many post by the above mentioned posters I tend to agree with Billtex . Is there any verification by the forum or moderators as to the name a person puts down for membership . Just sayin'
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed