cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOW TRUCK

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
My 1-ton dually 4WD diesel pickup needs to be towed to the dealership...

The tow truck driver showed up with a regular (not flat bed) two truck and plans on towing it with the front hooked up...

I ALWAYS THOUGHT A TRUCK THAT SIZE WITH 4WD NEEDS A FLAT BED TOW TRUCK...is that true? and also with the way he is proposing it can it be towed the way he is proposing to tow it?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

23 REPLIES 23

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:

The tow truck driver showed up with a regular (not flat bed) two truck and plans on towing it with the front hooked up...

I ALWAYS THOUGHT A TRUCK THAT SIZE WITH 4WD NEEDS A FLAT BED TOW TRUCK...is that true? and also with the way he is proposing it can it be towed the way he is proposing to tow it?

I flat tow my 07 LBZ behind the DP, so I don't see why it can't be towed a few miles to the dealership. The owners manual has section on towing.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Well you all missed the fact that any vehicle can be dolly towed! Front wheels in the sling, and the rear supported on the four wheel tow dolly all tow truck carry.

None of the dollies I used would accommodate a dually!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
M GO BLUE wrote:

Pull the driveshaft or put the T-case in neutral (don't know if that is OK on your truck) and go. No problem, done it many times.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

hbensley
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my signature truck flatbed towed Tuesday night. The -2* weather and gelled fuel. The rear fuel filter heater had to be turned on by reprogramming the ECM.
It was a tight fit but my truck just barely fit. The Mega Cab is 9" shorter wheelbase than a crew cab long bed if that is what you have.
Hank Bensley
2014 Voltage 3895 Toy Hauler
2014 RAM 3500 Mega Cab 4X4 Dually AISIN 4:10 gears
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide

hbensley@yahoo.com

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what was the final outcome with the tow truck? You also never mentioned WHY the dually was being towed to the dealer....

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well you all missed the fact that any vehicle can be dolly towed! Front wheels in the sling, and the rear supported on the four wheel tow dolly all tow truck carry.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I too can't believe a tow truck driver would wait around for internet forum responders to tell him how to do his job.
In fact, if I were him I'd just leave because the customer was trying to tell me how to do my job.
There's no problem towing a truck, any truck, with the rear wheels on the ground and the front elevated. You just have to put the transmission or transfer case or both in neutral.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Bryan don't you mean that the transfer case needs to be in neutral to tow with the transmission in park?

Yes if towing from the front. If you tow from the rear, the drive wheels aren't moving anyways as long as its in 2wd (Neutral is fine too until the operator forgets when they set it down and it takes off on its own.... even worse when the operator jumps out of the tow truck to chase the runaway, but the tow-truck is still in drive, and he now has two runaways in opposite directions!) Note I'm only referring to the NV271. Any of the "Auto 4WD" T-cases need to be flat-bed hauled or the driveline dropped, and even some full-time 4WD T-cases cannot towed even in Neutral unless they are 4-down.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

millertime
Explorer
Explorer
a little over a year ago I had to have my 2002 2500 towed because of a starter problem. They sent a flatbed . My truck weighs 6600#
long story short, the cable broke after the truck was on top of the bed. Truck bounced into 2 parked cars. I had a little discussion with the driver re: maintenance of the cable. He got a compound fracture of his arm after the truck ran over his arm. It damaged both bumpers,trailer hitch , 1 tire, 1 rim,
I had long discussions with the Dodge dealer re: repairs, alignment, suspension, etc. Over a year later truck runs good , no problems.

Chuck aka Grumpy
Chuck and Cindy
2002 Dodge 2500/Cummins
Reese 15000#
CF28BH Cruiser picked up 12-22-03
hyd/disk brakes installed 12/07

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4X4 just put the transfer case in neutral. If you have front manual hubs place in Unlocked.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Bryan don't you mean that the transfer case needs to be in neutral to tow with the transmission in park? Repoed a few 4X4 trucks in the day by simply hooking up and shifting the t-case into neutral. Takes the transmission out of the equation.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
They have insurance, dont worry about it.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Suburban barely fit on a flatbed, both length and width, doubtful a dually would fit. As Bryan said, have them either shift the transfer case to neutral or lift it from the back. To shift to neutral turn the ignition on (don't start the engine but assume that's not an issue if it's getting towed LOL), step on the brake to put the shifter in neutral, and hold the 2HI and 4LO buttons for 10 seconds until the red neutral light comes on.

Reminder, Park will no longer hold it from rolling if the t-case is in neutral.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Have had f530 towed front wheels up; drive shaft was removed before towing.