cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 10k+ with a 'Burb.......Duraburb or ??

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys;

My wife and I recently bought a Sierra 321BHT. 900# TW and 9400# dry.

I have a ProPride 3P sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Currently towing with a 2011 F250 Crew Cab, 6.2L 4WD with 3.73 axle. I'm not super impressed with how the current truck tows the trailer (previous thread on that), and my wife and I have been bouncing ideas around of other possible tow vehicles.......considered buying a new diesel P/U, etc. Well, we just found out we're pregnant with Baby #3, so this changes everything.

My new towing setup is going to be Wife, Me, with 3 kids across in the rear seat.....6 year old in a booster, 2 year old in a forward facing carseat, and infant in a rear-facing. And the small dog. I think we're gonna go insane towing with this setup:(

We'd looked up Suburban 2500s (extra interior space makes everyone happy!) and saw that they only were rated for 9600#, so we crossed 'em off the list. (later found out that this was due to the lousy factory bumper-integrated hitch) But, I stumbled upon the DURABURB on Google and see that they do Duramax conversions to Suburbans. I spoke with them yesterday, and they said that with a Curt XHD 15324 hitch bolted to the rear frame as part of their Duramax swap, a 2500HD Suburban could safely tow 17,000 lbs. PERFECT!! With this setup, it also appears as though I would be under-axle limit weight-wise according to the door placard in case the DOT ever stopped me. (from what I can tell, 4180ft and 5500rr).

I figure I'm probably 12,000# loaded with kids, gear, food, and such, so this would be well within the vehicle's limits as built by them.

I'm assuming (without asking) that even with the new hitch, the 6.0 motor would be a complete dog with this much weight behind it, and that the Duramax conversion is really the only proper way to tow this much weight, right? If I'm unhappy with my current 6.2L F250 towing, I'm not going to like the 6.0L, I'm guessing....?

Any other thoughts on the Duraburb, please post em up. For about $40k, I can get a well-sorted & gone through, 75,000-ish mile (both drivetrain and body) Duramax equipped Suburban 2500 4WD. This sounds pretty tempting. ~~~ 18k for the 'burb, 14 for the Duramax, and 8ish for the install.

FWIW I considered an Excursion diesel, but it's a huge step back to the past compared with what I'm currently driving, and I don't think I'll be happy with it.

Thanks, Ben
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins
73 REPLIES 73

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
azwildcat99 wrote:
I agree. Keep your current truck. We did 3 across in car seats in a Honda Pilot and it worked fine. Kids don't care. Even now they are 11,10 & 5 and do fine in our crew cab. Looked into Burbs too but ran into similar hitch and payload limitations. Now we're looking at a camper shell. That's where we would put a dog if we ever got one.

Important point: will a CC Super Duty accommodate three car seats LEGALLY and SAFELY in the rear? Many vehicles will NOT.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
From personal experience: in the real world, an Excursion will laugh at a 12,000lb trailer! Been there and done that. My old boss has one...2003 X, last of the 7.3 PSD's...only mods are rear airbags, a set of Rancho 9000 shocks, and a dealer-installed Fisher snowplow. It has about 170,000 miles, probably 25,000 of them towing over 10,000lbs. Trans was finaally rebuilt around 150K.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mikeb9550
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a large cab one ton pickup (either the ford superduty or dodge megacab). Don't mess with the SUV thing for a trailer that size.

I wish I went with the crew cab pickup myself. Maybe they still make bench front seats (seems like they are all going to buckets) and the dog can ride up front with you and your wife. My dog was always my co-pilot. First year without her and going to miss that. My wife always rides in the back with my boy.
Mike

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 3.92, Hensley Arrow Hitch

2006 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
5th Wheels offer a lot more storage for being at a destination like a snowbird RV park for the winter. The high ceilings really help you feel not enclosed.

I can out of 400 or so RV's count the bumper pulls on one hand in our snowbird park!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Jettix2 I agree with you totally. It is not a destination trailer,

Well then argue with Forest River Sierra Destination Trailers. In any event I still think this trailer is too long for normal use and frequent towing. Yes you can find heavier and longer trailers, but bumper pull ones are basically "out side" the norm and IMO take higher end TV such as 1T duallies, etc.

Larry

Larry is again correct. It is a destination trailer. This trailer is too big to be hauling around....ecpecially with young children in the truck.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Jettix2 I agree with you totally. It is not a destination trailer,

Well then argue with Forest River Sierra Destination Trailers. In any event I still think this trailer is too long for normal use and frequent towing. Yes you can find heavier and longer trailers, but bumper pull ones are basically "out side" the norm and IMO take higher end TV such as 1T duallies, etc.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
LarryJM wrote:

What you bought was not a normal towable TT, but a destination type trailer that is made to be taken somewhere and parked and not normally moved frequently.Larry

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Its certainly larger than most standard TTs, but it is fully self contained, front cap, and a propane fridge. I looked at them a while back, and nothing in the literature hints that it is a seasonal trailer, other than the size. It still doesn't weight as much as even a modest 28' toy hauler.

Well the Forest River website shows the Sierra line of trailers as "Destination Trailers". I don't think your experience with your Weekend Warrier is typical since what you had is again an exceptionally long trailer and that size doesn't seem to be made anymore only smaller ones in the under 35' range.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

azwildcat99
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Keep your current truck. We did 3 across in car seats in a Honda Pilot and it worked fine. Kids don't care. Even now they are 11,10 & 5 and do fine in our crew cab. Looked into Burbs too but ran into similar hitch and payload limitations. Now we're looking at a camper shell. That's where we would put a dog if we ever got one.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 4X4 D/A
2012 Heartland Prowler 27P BHS
Honda EU2000i

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
Since there doesn't seem to be an obvious ideal solution, perhaps the best thing to do is to stick with the truck you have for at least the next camping season and see how it works out once you've got 3 kids. Right now it is just theoretical as baby #3 is not yet here. Try your truck and see how it works. I know you probably want to move to something with more power since you're unhappy with that, but I think it is probably adequate enough to test the idea of sticking with a crew cab truck. If you rush into something, it may just be an expensive mistake. I wish you the best in figuring this out.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Jettix2 I agree with you totally. It is not a destination trailer, I also agree a diesel dually would be the preferred tow vehicle for some of the larger bumper pulls. Nevertheless a 3/4 ton Suv can do the job.
But in reality there is not a current model SUV being made to accommodate the larger bumper pulls. At some point you will have to compromise,adjust and wing it.
It is not an ideal scenario/combo. In the end you will have to rely on your own judgement and knowledge. You simply will not find a current SUV to accommodate that trailer out the box.
Your best factory choice to be within towing parameters would be an older 8.1 burb. From there consider Excursion diesels.
After that your winging it no matter what you do.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Bryan is right. It's large, and it's heavy, but it's not a park-model, it's a self contained TT.....There are plenty of travel-trailers (both bumper pull and tons of larger 5th wheels) that are WAY heavier (Forest River shows several 5ers that are ~~12k dry), and LOTS of toy haulers that are thousands of pounds in excess of what I've got.

The honest truth is that most of those are being tugged around by 1 ton dually diesel-powered pickups.

I'm not going to sell the trailer, it's exactly what my wife and I want, it's a perfect size, and was a smokin' good price.

I just need to figure out a way to safely tow it, while fitting the family.

CKNSLS wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Jettix2 wrote:
Hey guys;

Currently towing with a 2011 F250 Crew Cab, 6.2L 4WD with 3.73 axle. I'm not super impressed with how the current truck tows the trailer (previous thread on that), and my wife and I have been bouncing ideas around of other possible tow vehicles.......considered buying a new diesel P/U, etc. Well, we just found out we're pregnant with Baby #3, so this changes everything.

My new towing setup is going to be Wife, Me, with 3 kids across in the rear seat.....6 year old in a booster, 2 year old in a forward facing carseat, and infant in a rear-facing. And the small dog. I think we're gonna go insane towing with this setup:(

We'd looked up Suburban 2500s (extra interior space makes everyone happy!) and saw that they only were rated for 9600#, so we crossed 'em off the list. (later found out that this was due to the lousy factory bumper-integrated hitch) But, I stumbled upon the DURABURB on Google and see that they do Duramax conversions to Suburbans. I spoke with them yesterday, and they said that with a Curt XHD 15324 hitch bolted to the rear frame as part of their Duramax swap, a 2500HD Suburban could safely tow 17,000 lbs. PERFECT!! With this setup, it also appears as though I would be under-axle limit weight-wise according to the door placard in case the DOT ever stopped me. (from what I can tell, 4180ft and 5500rr).

I figure I'm probably 12,000# loaded with kids, gear, food, and such, so this would be well within the vehicle's limits as built by them.

I'm assuming (without asking) that even with the new hitch, the 6.0 motor would be a complete dog with this much weight behind it, and that the Duramax conversion is really the only proper way to tow this much weight, right? If I'm unhappy with my current 6.2L F250 towing, I'm not going to like the 6.0L, I'm guessing....?

Any other thoughts on the Duraburb, please post em up. For about $40k, I can get a well-sorted & gone through, 75,000-ish mile (both drivetrain and body) Duramax equipped Suburban 2500 4WD. This sounds pretty tempting. ~~~ 18k for the 'burb, 14 for the Duramax, and 8ish for the install.

FWIW I considered an Excursion diesel, but it's a huge step back to the past compared with what I'm currently driving, and I don't think I'll be happy with it.

Thanks, Ben

What you bought was not a normal towable TT, but a destination type trailer that is made to be taken somewhere and parked and not normally moved frequently. Thus trying to match it up with a normal tow vehicle is a lose-lose proposition. My recommendation is to sell it and get something made for what you intend to use it for.

Larry

Larry is right +1 ! Another case of-"The RV salesman said I could tow it!"
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Jettix2 wrote:
Hey guys;

Thanks, Ben

What you bought was not a normal towable TT, but a destination type trailer that is made to be taken somewhere and parked and not normally moved frequently. Thus trying to match it up with a normal tow vehicle is a lose-lose proposition. My recommendation is to sell it and get something made for what you intend to use it for.

Larry

Larry is right +1 ! Another case of-"The RV salesman said I could tow it!"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:

What you bought was not a normal towable TT, but a destination type trailer that is made to be taken somewhere and parked and not normally moved frequently.Larry

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Its certainly larger than most standard TTs, but it is fully self contained, front cap, and a propane fridge. I looked at them a while back, and nothing in the literature hints that it is a seasonal trailer, other than the size. It still doesn't weight as much as even a modest 28' toy hauler.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Megacab is not much larger that you have now, and as you said, it still puts 3 kids in child seats side by side by side. After 2 years towing with my crew cab truck in the same situation, my wife pushed for 3-rows.

If as you say the Duraburb problem is GVWR, then you there are ways to help that. Springs can be changed. 4WD models are 4500 pounds front and 5500 pounds rear, so sum is over GVWR by 1400 pounds. You'll want to beef up the front and the rear is probably sufficient stock, but air bags are cheap. The OEM shocks suck brand new, so plan some Bilstiens off the bat. For a 36'+ trailer and 130" WB Suburban, I recommend a premium WDH - Propride, Hensley)

Or, for the cost of a Duraburb conversion alone (not the truck itself), you can buy a brand new 7000 pound dry TT like Prime Time Tracer 3150 that should be very comfortable with a stock 3/4 ton GMT900 Burb.

Just noticed the estimates. $18k for a 2008 used Burb? Seems low, but maybe that is without drivetrain.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jettix2 wrote:
Hey guys;

Thanks, Ben

Larry