Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing challenges with flagstaff 25FKS

Metzfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We are brand new RVers
We purchased a flagstaff 25FKS July 2020. We tow with a 2020 Chevrolet 1500 5.3 L Silverado that has a 3.23 rear ratio and a towing package with built in sway control.
It took 3 months to get the husky load distribution hatch set correctly and the trailer not sway all over the place. We have the sway under control with load distribution hitch and sway bar.
We only get on average about 7 MPG.
We go on long distance trips normally 1000 miles one way. Fuel stops are often.
We are considering purchasing a 2500 truck with a diesel

Will the bigger truck help with the sway?

Should we expect better fuel mileage?

Are we making a good choice going to the bigger truck?

Would you purchase a diesel or bigger gas engine?

If you purchased the diesel would it be a Cummins or Duramax with Allison transmission?
64 REPLIES 64

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nissan Titan XD with a Cummins 5.0 diesel motor. We have a 26ft TT with w dry weight of 5900 lbs. The truck pulls that trailer no problem. I installed a 40 gallon auxillary tank in the bed. The stock tank is 26 so that gives me 66 gallons. I get between 10 and 12 mpg towing, 20 to 26 solo. So even at 10mpg I have a range of over 600 miles between fill ups. Plus with the aux tank,I can use the truck stops with the larger nozzles because the aux tank has a larger fill than the stock tank. As to the sway issue,I have found either trailers sway or they don't unless you really have something set up wrong like not enough tongue weight. The only trailer i ever had with a sway problem was the first one we had, a Shasta. After that I bought Sunlines until the went out of business and now we have a keystone Cougar. No sway issues at all.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! It is a night and day difference. And I'm glad you are using the wdh also, extra security. Have fun!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Metzfamily wrote:
We really appreciate all of the responses! Yesterday we traded in our Chevrolet 1500 Gas in for a Chevrolet 2500 HD Diesel. We pulled our TT with the HD and WOW! What a difference. The TT is no longer in control and we are no longer along for the ride. Having the heavier truck and bigger engine really makes a difference. We are still using the WDH as per recommendations on this forum. I'm actually looking forward to the next trip. Thanks again!

You get it already. It's about having a relaxing tow vs. having to work the truck, trailer and yourself the entire time.
You arrive at your destination either way, the difference is your not as worn out from the trip.
Enjoy and don't look back. Consider your time with the 1500 a learning experience.
We all had to learn the difference between the 1500 and a HD truck.
The ironic thing is that the correct truck really doesn't cost much more than the just adequate truck.
It's more a matter of understanding what you want and need vs. having the $$$.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Metzfamily wrote:
I still don’t know how to post a picture on this forum or I would post one is a nice looking truck though

This forum does not "host" pictures, you need to use an external online host that can provide a shareable online link.

One of our RV.net members setup a real nice host for this purpose..

HERE

All you have to do is drop your photo onto that app in the link, once it is done uploading to the host you will find a text box under the pix in the ap..

Copy the entire text in that box, it contains everything you need to make this work..

With that text you copied you can directly paste the entire text into your post..

If you use some other host means you will have to use the "advanced posting section" which you will see extra editing options in Icons above your message.. Choose the one that looks like a yellow icon with a mountain and sun. In there you will need to past your URL and manually set the pix to a width to no more than 600 High and 400 Wide (wider than that and everyone will have to scroll side to side and up and down to see your pix).

If you use the "ap" provided by our RV.net member, the sizing is already done.

Hint, if you have something that you may want to post again, you can save that URL into a text document on your PC.. I keep a few text documents with picture links and descriptions so I can easily repost if needed.

Metzfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I still don’t know how to post a picture on this forum or I would post one is a nice looking truck though

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Metzfamily wrote:
We really appreciate all of the responses! Yesterday we traded in our Chevrolet 1500 Gas in for a Chevrolet 2500 HD Diesel. We pulled our TT with the HD and WOW! What a difference. The TT is no longer in control and we are no longer along for the ride. Having the heavier truck and bigger engine really makes a difference. We are still using the WDH as per recommendations on this forum. I'm actually looking forward to the next trip. Thanks again!

Welcome to the "darkside" of having a more capable vehicle!

It is a feeling that many here do not understand and will never understand because they are fine with the feeling they get from their lighter setup.

Only once you have tried a much firmer platform do you "get it" and fully understand the difference.

Now you can go and camp in more confidence!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Metzfamily wrote:

Congrats on the new truck! The new GM HD 2500s are very capable! Post a pic, if you have one.

Jerry

Metzfamily
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
blaczero wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Toodles right up those hills.

My window sticker didn't list a Toodler. What is the MSRP on one of those?

The dealer tossed it in for free which sealed the deal for me.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - I get what you are saying. What other people may consider an acceptable towing experience may not wash with what you deem acceptable.

I have towed with 1500 series trucks over long distances and can relate to your experiences. Stopping for gas all the time, listening to/feeling the high revs needed for the engine to make power up even the slightest grade - like an overpass. I upgraded to a gas 2500 and still hated it - notice that I didn't say the truck couldn't do the job - I said I hated it. I upgraded from a 2017 6.4 hemi 2500 to a 3500 diesel - and have not looked back. I simply love the towing experience now. And I can safely upgrade to something bigger in the future if I so desire.

You mentioned wanting to go to a much larger trailer in the future - so consider the main issue with a diesel 2500 is limited payload due to the diesel engine weight. Payload - lack of it, is what is most likely causing your current issue. Tongue weight is running a close second. You state that your truck sags when loaded up for a trip.

My advice for you is to do some research on payload and check the door sticker of the truck you are interested in.

But by all means, get a diesel. Don't be scared by comments on higher maintenance costs - yes, oil changes are more expensive, but you don't have to do them as often as a gas engine. You have to put DEF in it - so what? They are overrated - LOL! I used to be scared by this commentary - but don't be. I enjoy driving my truck as a daily driver as well and am happier than a pig in mud when towing. Mileage is significantly better, even when not towing.

Just make sure you have a WDH that is properly set up. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Yeah, what he said.

I suppose if you equate “adequate” with “can’t feel the trailer behind you” then that makes sense.
However I try to add common sense to posts like that. Not discounting that generally the bigger the truck the better. Which I never do. I just don’t like doing the “new RVers” the disservice of believing they NEED to have twice as much truck as they “need” just to be safe.
Nothing like someone worrying about something they don’t need to worry about because of overtly extra conservative recommendations put forth as requirements.

To counter that, I also believe that the more the merrier when it comes to power and capability, and since I can afford it, there’s a 490hp diesel sitting in the shop to pull my little 6klb boat or sled trailer. I’m just smart enough to know that it’s a luxury and not something that is actually “needed.”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
All those saying you have the wrong truck are well, wrong. You do not have the best of most capable you could possibly have, but it’s more than capable and rated for your trailer.
Guessing most of your issue besides gas mileage is your lack of experience and what to expect combined with needing to tweak your setup a bit.

I pulled a similar sized 5W with a GMC 1500 5.3 once, not enough truck. I bought an F250 Super Duty and didn't know there was a trailer back there. Any one that recommends towing with a 1/2 ton is doing the new RVer a disservice. A 1/2 tons big enough for few SMALL RV's, a Scamp, White Water, River Side, Shasta Airflyte, or popup.

You MUST be talking a 50s model pickup. what did this fiver weigh?
Jay D.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
All those saying you have the wrong truck are well, wrong. You do not have the best of most capable you could possibly have, but it’s more than capable and rated for your trailer.
Guessing most of your issue besides gas mileage is your lack of experience and what to expect combined with needing to tweak your setup a bit.

I pulled a similar sized 5W with a GMC 1500 5.3 once, not enough truck. I bought an F250 Super Duty and didn't know there was a trailer back there. Any one that recommends towing with a 1/2 ton is doing the new RVer a disservice. A 1/2 tons big enough for few SMALL RV's, a Scamp, White Water, River Side, Shasta Airflyte, or popup.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Skip the 3/4-diesel. Diesel drivetrains are heavy and eat up the payload on a 3/4-ton truck. Go straight for a 1-ton single rear wheel. For your purposes, though, the new, big, gas engines would do fine (still low fuel mileage).

Yes - a heavier truck will handle the trailer better.

Allison does not make engines - they make transmissions. The Allison transmission is usually paired with the Duramax diesel in GM trucks. Cummins engines are found in Ram trucks and the third option is the PowerStroke diesel in Ford trucks. They are all capable powerplants.

Rob

A 1 ton to pull under 6K come on. A 3/4 will be fine and yes will help the handling. I pull 14K with a 1 ton and get 13-14 in the west coat mountains, I live at 5000 and it's all up hill out.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold