cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Mirrors on a new Silverado High Country or Denali

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, we are looking at trading in our Silverado 2500HD D/A for a 2016 or 2017 Silverado or GMC Denali.
Just a question we don't see an option for towing mirrors on the Build Your Own GM site for a 1500, anyone know if you can get them on from the factory?
We are thinking of the same ones that come on the 2500 HD vehicles with the electric folding option. We must have seen 100 1500's today, not one with a towing mirror on it like is on their 2500's One would think with the price they want for these vehicles that would be an option.
Our pull behind trailer is a Kodiak and its 8 feet wide so we would think that a better mirror than what is on the stock 1500's is needed for safety. Don't want clip on types on a new vehicle.
Any one been through this? Appreciate any advise or info. BTW we have not seen a sales person yet, don't want to spook them yet!.....Ernie
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
15 REPLIES 15

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't trade that truck on any 1/2 ton regardless of the reason. It's just now broke in.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Nick_R
Explorer
Explorer
the tow mirrors are only available on the 1500's with the max trailer package. They are not available on the Denali's. GM does make them as an accessory. They run about $1200 to install them. You do have to purchase additional harness's to make them work. The accessory ones are not power folding.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Recently got on Chevys build your own and was able to spec the dumbo tow mirrors on a WT 1500. I wanted to see what msrp was for a basic hauler. The truck I built wI'll never be found on the dealers lot. Not enough margin.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Canuck Travellers wrote:
Hi everyone, we are looking at trading in our Silverado 2500HD D/A

What year is the truck?

HI,truck is a 2003.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input.
My Truck is a 2003 and is a GREAT TRUCK, bought new and little or practically no problems with it over the years,131,000 miles on it,not a mark on it, no accidents, nothing,it has never seen snow or salt from up here in the Eastern Canadian Maritimes as we leave here for Florida in late October and return middle of April each year.
The only reason I was considering trading down to a 1500 is the age of the truck. I am having a hard time rationalizing doing this but in trading I am going to the 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 with the 8 speed Transmission and a heavy duty version of GVWR 3,447 kgs (7,600 Lbs) and as suggested modified my original version of the GMC Denali or High Country Silverado Chevy to either the GMC SLT or the Chevy 1LZ both with comparable options but both with Towing Mirrors and HD equipment.
I have heard that the new 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 with the 8 speed Transmission is really good on fuel and (maybe) almost as good as my Diesel....hope, hope, what does everyone think of that?
It sure will be a sad day if I leave the Diesel/Allison but we travel 2100 Miles to Florida and back every year and some travelling down there also.
Again thanks for the great suggestions away from the "fluffed-up" Denali and the Chevy High Country to a more suitable Heavy Duty Truck.
And maybe I will just keep the Duramax/Allison after I look hard and long at all those green backs that are required.....thanks for your input and any more suggestions are more than welcome!.....Ernie

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
The extendable towing mirrors are part of the Max Trailering Package, available on Sierra SLT and Silverado LTZ. It is not available with the Denali 1500. Since you are looking at higher trim/equipment vehicles, I highly recommend that Max Trailering Package as it increases GVWR/payload also.

There are aftermarket towing mirrors available for about $200.

I cannot comment on these specific mirrors, but many ebay mirrors are reported to be of lesser quality and can wobble at highway speeds.

From the dealer. OEM mirrors are about $600-700. Plus you will need an extra wiring harness for around $150-200.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The mirrors are an option on half tons but makes sense they don't offer the dumbo ears on the high zoot Denali 1500.
However if that's your vehicle of choice then don't let the mirrors stop you. You can easily buy OE or aftermarket gm tow mirrors, even with most of all of the Denali features and new mirrors are not terribly difficult to install.
I bet Denaili HD truck mirrors would get you all the functions, but then again I get lost after power, heated, power extend, power fold, turn signal, running lights, puddle lamps, temperature sensor, espresso maker, etc. sounds like a $1000 bill when you crack one off on a fence post vs a few hundred for a plebeian power/heated tow mirror!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
trail-explorer wrote:
Canuck Travellers wrote:

What year is the truck?

Getting ready to jump ona good grampa owned Dmax?
I would be!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck Travellers wrote:

What year is the truck?
Bob

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 1500 LTZ has the power folding tow mirrors, The same one that comes on the 2500. Like said above, mine were an option along with the max tow package.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
If the mirrors are electric, I would think you could go aftermarket and get some towing mirrors. I also wonder why you would get rid of a very useful, good towing vehicle and drop down to a lower towing capacity. Is it just getting old or are you having problems with it? You will lose quite a bit of towing capacity and fuel mileage dropping to a gasser from he diesel. You may make up for it in unloaded mileage but my Duramax gets between 18 and 19 mpg unloaded on the open highway at around 70 mph.
John A. Lichty

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about GM products, but Ram and Ford products have the option of getting tow mirrors in 150/1500 series. If they are the same doors, you may be able to go aftermarket. I got my aftermarkets on my Ram from 1Aauto and love them.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The extendable towing mirrors are part of the Max Trailering Package, available on Sierra SLT and Silverado LTZ. It is not available with the Denali 1500. Since you are looking at higher trim/equipment vehicles, I highly recommend that Max Trailering Package as it increases GVWR/payload also.

There are aftermarket towing mirrors available for about $200.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that 1/2 ton p/u's don't come with factory tow mirrors. My previous p/u, a 2003 F-150, didn't, and I had to install my slide-on tow mirrors each time.

You're 3/4 ton diesel TV is one of the best, most reliable anywhere. Just wondering why you're looking to downgrade to a 1/2 ton.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!