cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy hauler tongue weight

DarrellQ2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra and am thinking of getting a KZ MXT 309 toy hauler TT. The gross weight of the MXT is 8800 lbs with a tongue weight (dry) of 900 lbs. My Tundra has a GVW of 7100 lbs with a payload of ~1500 lbs.

Will the weight distribution hitch transfer some of that tongue weight to the trailer axles? If so, will it help the situation a measurable amount?

Will having a 1000 worth of "toys" in the rear of the MXT also take off some of that TV tongue weight?

Overall, how do you think my truck will handle this?

thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8

DarrellQ2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies. otrfun, I do have the 5.7 with towing package, but you (and others) bring up some very good points. I have always wanted a diesel pusher and had planned to go this route in about 3 years but I thought this Toy Hauler to be an interim option --if-- I didn't have to invest the money in a new truck. Alternatively, I could just go ahead now and buy a used (2002-2005) diesel pusher coach a tow a stacker trailer. I figure that if I have to buy a new truck, along with the Toy Hauler I might as well get in a used diesel pusher and stacker now for about the same $$.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Half tons and toy haulers do not mix well. A 7k dry RV will put most half tons over at least one of its ratings with just camping gear let alone another 1000 pounds of toy related stuff.

I estimate the loaded weights to be about 8500 pounds with at least 1200 pounds of TW. Does your truck have enough payload to support that? Receiver handle 1200 pounds?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarrellQ2001 wrote:
I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra and am thinking of getting a KZ MXT 309 toy hauler TT. The gross weight of the MXT is 8800 lbs with a tongue weight (dry) of 900 lbs. My Tundra has a GVW of 7100 lbs with a payload of ~1500 lbs.

Will the weight distribution hitch transfer some of that tongue weight to the trailer axles? If so, will it help the situation a measurable amount?

Will having a 1000 worth of "toys" in the rear of the MXT also take off some of that TV tongue weight?

Overall, how do you think my truck will handle this?

thanks in advance

I tow a toy hauler with my Gen2 Tundra. A few things I've learned:

1. Do you have the factory OEM tow package? If you have a transmission temp gauge and tow/haul switch, you have the OEM tow package. The factory OEM tow package has ~2k more tow capacity than an aftermarket hitch. Primarily due to the different rear end ratio (non-OEM 4.10 vs. OEM 4.30).

2. You said you had (~) approx. 1500 lbs. of payload. Is this figure from your truck's door sticker or a Toyota brochure? Realworld (door sticker) payload is typically lower than best-case payload ratings in brochures.

3. Do you have a 4.6 or 5.7? With the weights you're looking at you'll be pushing a 4.6 to its limits. The 4.6 has 1k-2k less tow capacity vs. the 5.7. Hope you have the 5.7.

4. The maximum tongue weight for the Tundra OEM factory Class IV tow hitch is approx. 1050 lbs. That's assuming the use of properly adjusted weight distribution bars.

5. Supposedly the empty tongue weight of this toy hauler is 900 lbs. The batteries and propane tanks will add 150-200 lbs. to the 900 lbs. If this toy hauler has an Onan generator located in the front section, the generator will easily add another 200-250 lbs. to your tonque weight. Of course, none of this weight so far includes any of the gear you'll be loading inside the toy hauler between the axles and the hitch. This stuff adds up real quick!

5a. IMO, before purchasing this toy hauler, I would have the dealer load the batteries, propane, fill the freshwater tank, and load all other options, to the toy hauler. Then use a portable scale to determine the REALWORLD empty tonque weight. There's NO way I would assume the manufacturer's 900 lb. EMPTY tongue weight spec is correct. Typically, manufacturers base this empty tongue weight on 1 of possibly several configurations of the same toy hauler. Tongue weight can vary significantly from one configuration to another.

6. Where are the freshwater, grey, and black tanks located in relation to the toy hauler's axles? Hopefully the freshwater tank is loaded directly over the axles--if it's located forward of the axles that's a serious tongue weight problem unless you keep the tank empty while you're on the road. The vast majority of toy haulers have the grey and black tanks located forward of the axle. You'll have to watch these tanks closely while on the road. Tongue weight can start climbing extremely fast after a bit of hand washing, toilet flushing, and showers, while a family is on the road.

7. Just looked at the axle placement on this toy hauler online--it has a short garage area. IMO the chance of gear/ATV/bikes loaded in the rear significantly lowering your tongue weight is low. Maybe 100-200 lbs. if you're lucky.

My honest opinion? This is too much toy hauler for your Tundra. You might be able to tow it safely with a bit of work, but the process is really going to eat into your fun factor.

Good luck!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Not a chance. I bet the actual tongue weight of that trailer is at least 1,700 pounds, possibly over 2,000 pounds depending how you load it up.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having at least 10% of the total trailer weight on your hitch is necessary. I would definitely feel better about overloading your Toyota's hitch a bit than towing without adequate tongue weight.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Not well. Always assume you will load the trailer to it's max GVW once you put everything in it for your trips. In your case, 8,800 lbs. Weigh your truck with a full tank of fuel, you, your family, and everything else you would have in it for a trip. Subtract that weight from the truck's GVW, which you listed as 7,100 lbs. the sum will be the weight you have available for tongue, and WDH combined. Keep in mind a WDH can easily weigh 80 lbs. or more. That is way too much Toy Hauler for your truck. A 3/4 OR 1 ton truck would be aptly suited for that load. If your Tundra is a double cab, 4x4, or both, your tow rating is well under the 8,800 lb. figure.I think they are rated at 8,000 or 8,100 lbs. max..
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Actually a WD hitch DOES transfer some weight back onto the trailer axles but not a huge amount. Like as stated before it takes a scale and some work with adjusting the hitch to know your final axle weights. The problem is you have to have the truck and trailer in your possesion to load it all up and figure it out. One thing about a toy hauler is even though the empty tongue weight is high, since the toys go in the back your loaded tongue weight should be a little less.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Weight distribution hitches transfer weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, as well as the trailer axles.

A 1,000 lb toy will lessen tongue weight, but water, propane, batteries, etc. will add weight back. It will take a scale to figure how much weight is where.

I think that trailer would be a load for the Tundra, maybe even an overload. Have fun shopping.

Corrected my weight transfer error.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL