cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyo AT2 or Terra Grappler G2 or Cooper AT3 or ???

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
After agonizing far too much, I've decided to keep my stock 17" wheels and go with 285-75-17's. Now to decide between:
Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Nitto Terra Grapper G2
Other?

Local places I've checked are similar enough on price that I'm ok with either of these, so I'm looking for recommendations/experience with any of them.

Guess I'm like most - I want an aggressive look, but 95% of the trucks life is on the highway - literally highway (60 mile daily round trip for work) so I don't want them loud - respectable all-weather traction, etc.

Big plus is strength for towing/hauling. Currently pull 8000 pound travel trailer, but plan to trade to 11000 pound 5th wheel with about 2000 pin weight - so I really don't want any squishy wiggly sidewalls. Towing/hauling is typical weekend getaway stuff - probably 10 times per year averaging 400 miles on the road each trip.

Can you help a guy out?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
36 REPLIES 36

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
OK...so the towing report on the Cooper AT-3.

Just finished 1500 miles in 4 days. Very quiet towing 15000lbs at 65-70 mph. Quieter than my previous Wrangler prograde kevlar. Nothing but good to reprt so far. Towing, plowing, snow and freezing roads all good....I also towed a 13% grade on ice/snow this trip...stayed in 2 wheel drive and just had a little slippage on the rear tires during a downshift on the 2 mile snowy uphill.

MPG seems off by just a little...but I was using the DIC so not sure. My guess is probably a half mile per gallon less or so.

I guess we will see on the rated mileage....good luck with yours!
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

nirion
Explorer
Explorer
I had Cooper ATRs on a truck, then AT3s on one, and just got a set of AT3s put on my current truck. They are much better than the factory Firestone transforce junk.
2016 Ram 3500 SRW Big Horn CC LB 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel, Maximum Steel
2015 Sprinter 324FWBHS
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn CC LB 4x4, Hemi 6.4, 4.10 - SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
JustLabs wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rctoyguy wrote:
FishOnOne - Unless that's a trick question I thought one of the big things about Cooper tires is that they are made in the USA. Or did you just want me to say that?

On the contact us page on their site, it's an Ohio address.

Just curious... The "Made in ???" is typically molded on the sidewall.

All Cooper LT tires are made in the U.S.

Thanks...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
I've had two sets of Cooper AT3's and will be buying the 3rd set soon for the Ram.

RC,

I had a set of the Cooper A/T3's on our '10-1500 and was very happy with them!!! Either towing the tt or clamshell sled trailer to Northern Mi and up into the bush east of the Soo, Ontario area. ONLY reason I didn't go with the A/T3's for our 2500HD is the Discount Tire exclusive ATP version was about $50/tire cheaper!!! So far happy with the ATP's, but we haven't had a real good winter to really test them out vs the A/T3's.

Keep us posted how you like them!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CampingN.C. wrote:
I've had two sets of Cooper AT3's and will be buying the 3rd set soon for the Ram.

Never had the other 2, but good experience with AT3 s. Quiet, well balanced, didn't take a lot of weight to balance and average snow/ice traction for an AT tire.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
rctoyguy wrote:
FishOnOne - Unless that's a trick question I thought one of the big things about Cooper tires is that they are made in the USA. Or did you just want me to say that?

All Cooper LT tires are made in the U.S.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rctoyguy wrote:

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer

B&W Patriot 16K

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I am a little late chiming in here, but I just replaced the Michelin Lts m/s2 tires on our Yukon with falken wild peak a/t3w and towed the camper from maine to florida and back. They performed excellent through snow, rain, sand, and mud. I think they are even quieter than the michelins.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rctoyguy,
Nice tires... Can you look and see where they're made?
Thanks in advance.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
That 75 series filled up the fender well.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have the G2 on my wife's 1500. They were really good through the Winter, seem to be wearing well so far although still early to say for certain. The reviews I saw on the tire were very good in the wear department. I have a set of NITTO EXO Grapplers and I really like that tire, more aggressive than the ones you have listed. The Nitto's are good tires.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm loving the look - I'll let you know how I feel after I run them a while.

Update: Looks like effective today Dropbox is dropping the ability to use them as a host for images in forums.... so here is an attempt at using someone else.
B&W Patriot 16K