cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota Diesel

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this isn't old news, but news to me. Just read that Tundra will come out with a Cummins in 2016. Optional I assume.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
56 REPLIES 56

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
okan-star wrote:
805gregg wrote:
They are 25 years late to the diesel party

Actually Toyota has had a diesel motor option in trucks since the early 80`s , before Dodge
Saw one at a gas station a few years ago , kinda wanted it

I ment in a real truck, so did Isuzu and VW , where are they?
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 2013 truck, to seal the deal, the dealer gave me lifetime $65 oil/filter changes and tire rotation (Dually).

Oil change schedule is 15,000 miles or whatever I am comfortable with.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
It's pretty much as I figured...nobody takes their $50,000.00 diesels to Walmart.....just the ones that have "a few" miles on them!

I have a rare opportunity to ask a question...

Is it true that trolls can't read?

Since your post history show a propensity to move from forum to forum making uninformed statements or attepts to stir the pot I thought I'd better ask now. I might not get another chance.

You will find that the truck camper owners are the brightest, most intellegent, most highly skilled people in the RV world

Others are often welcomed tho we all know they are out of their league.

OH! by th way.. TC folks are the best looking too :B
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't take my diesel to WalMart or the dealer for oil or fuel filter changes. It's easy and WAY cheaper if I do it myself and with the extended interval over most gas engines I don't see it as a greater expense.

Toyota has had diesel engines in their trucks for decades...just not in the USA.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnt take any diesel to any oil change place unless you could watch them as they filled the oil filter with oil before they screwed it on , most places install them dry
I dont know what that has to do with the mantanance requirments of gas vs diesel
Maybe it just proves that gas is more " flame" able than diesel

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty much as I figured...nobody takes their $50,000.00 diesels to Walmart.....just the ones that have "a few" miles on them!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Gee wonder how long it will take them to "copy" the engine and put a Japanese name on it. Kinda like most of their big achievements!

Who did they copy the Prius Hybrid Engine from? I don't remeber that and google doesn't know either.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
serpa4 wrote:
I'll look at it. My GMC can kiss my butt.
Vibrations in the drive line.
Paint wearing off the dash.
Dually fenders cracking and never hit/dinged.
1/3 dash lights burned out.
3/4 steering wheel lights burnt out.
Cheap stuff like no glove box or hood lights.
Front turn signal lights falling out.
Speakers not working.
Steering clunks
Transfer case rub through.
And more. I baby my truck, keep it covered, and frequent oil changes.

All this at only 70,000 miles. I've had better luck with my previous 3 F350.

All smaller stuff, but dealing with it daily and I think this $40,000 truck from 2007 is a pretty poor quality thing. However, it makes life simple on choices, no GM products for me, cars or trucks.

Wow! Things have gone downhill from Oct 16, 2013 when you wrote...

Diesels are just as good as gas for daily drivers.
I've had three F350 chipped and no engine issues.
one daily driver diesel Jetta at 280000 with only the water pump going out. It was chipped since day one.
And, now a 2nd Jetta that is tuned and at 100000 with no issues.
My 2007 GMC 3500 Duramax blew a hole I two pistons.... After I tuned it to 598 hp and 1300 torque. It's been stock since the rebuild and totally reliable. Diesels are great and make great hp and fuel economy. However if you easily hop them up, they can and will fail if you go too far.

P. S. If diesel doesn't make a good daily driver then why are there so many diesel cars; vw, mercedes, BMW, ford cars, and a new 1500 dodge?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Gee wonder how long it will take them to "copy" the engine and put a Japanese name on it. Kinda like most of their big achievements!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
X2, Sleepy. I always have the oil changed for my Duramax at Walmart. They use premium oil. I change my own fuel filters and buy them at an auto parts store not the dealer for half the price. I never go to a dealer, they mark everything way up. If I ever need work, I'll find a good independent diesel shop. So far no diesel work needed after 140,000 miles other than routine fluid and filter changes. -Mark.

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
I'll look at it. My GMC can kiss my butt.
Vibrations in the drive line.
Paint wearing off the dash.
Dually fenders cracking and never hit/dinged.
1/3 dash lights burned out.
3/4 steering wheel lights burnt out.
Cheap stuff like no glove box or hood lights.
Front turn signal lights falling out.
Speakers not working.
Steering clunks
Transfer case rub through.
And more. I baby my truck, keep it covered, and frequent oil changes.

All this at only 70,000 miles. I've had better luck with my previous 3 F350.

All smaller stuff, but dealing with it daily and I think this $40,000 truck from 2007 is a pretty poor quality thing. However, it makes life simple on choices, no GM products for me, cars or trucks.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
YES! When we are taveling we get the oil changed at WalMart... I look until I find one with the high bay and a pit, that makes it easy... they heve the same oil and filters that I get at the dealers

The dealers charge $86, while they are in the back room , out of sight I've had them wipe off the old filter, pretend it's new (I matk the filter), and they usually find some thing that needs attention for a lot of additional money...

Walmarts charge $44 total for the oil, filter, and labor and I can stand outside the rope and watch them do the work... I usually have them drain the oil from the campers built in generator too (and I tip the mechanoc since WalMart doesnt have generator service button on their registers). Walmart has the correct oil filter for the generator too,

I like honesty... I find WalMart and Sams are honest... like them or not. I buy tires from Sams.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
2BLAZERS wrote:
sleepy wrote:
If the price at the pump is exactlly the same between gasoline and diesel...

diesel is still much cheaper.

Because diesel gets so many more mpg

On my best day my old 3/4 ton gasoline fueled truck got 9.9 mpg

With my Lance 1161 fully loaded I actually have almost 70,000 miles averaging 15.1 mpg using diesel (my trucks computer read out and verified)

If both fuels are $4.00/gallon

My old gasoline engine would require 505.05 gallons to go 5000 mile which would cost $2020.20

My diesel engine would require 331.12 gallons to go 5000 miles which would cost $1324.50

That is a $695.69 savings over 5000 milesat $4.00/gallon

That is $24,349.38 saved in fuel over a gasoline engine for the 70,000 miles that I have had my Duramax if both gasoline and diesel are both priced at exactly $4.00/gallon.

It appears to me that the extra cost of the diesel engine has been well worth it...

Your math is wrong. $695.69 in savings per 5000 miles. 70,000/5000 = 14. $695.69*14 = $ 9,739.66 in savings in 70k miles. So you've now offset the cost of the diesel upgrade with diesel = gas in costs per gallon.

To bad diesel has basically been costing at 50 cents a gallon more than gas for almost 10 years now.

The cost of the maintenance will easily eat at least 50% (or more) of the amount "saved". We have to assume the maintenance will be done at a commercial garage or dealership since MOST PEOPLE will have it performed that way. Yes, you have maintenance on a gas motor as well-it's not anywhere near as costly.

Dear CKNSLS

When will I have to start doing the maintaince beyond the $44 oil changes at walmart.

Of couse my duramax is only 11 years old and I have looked, I can't find any plugs, points, etc to work on in my diesel engine.

Are you sure that you have a diesel engine? Have you ever had one? If so you must have abused it or been very unlucky.

With that note, I decided I'd better look.

My search of your past posts tell me that you own a 2011 1/2 ton pick up truck that you tow a small trailer with.

That doesn't sound like you have a lot of diesel maintaince experience

Please correct me if I'm wrong... we want the forum reader to get honest information, don't we?

Let's do a poll. How many take their $50,000.00 diesel to Walmart for oil changes? How much is the REGULAR PRICE at the dealer for a Dmax (or equivalent) oil change? What does the dealer charge to change those fuel filters?

BTW-There are not any "distributor points" on my Silverado either. And the plug chnages are every 100K. And I don't own a big trailer and Diesel pickup BY CHOICE.

Now I'll think I'll go over to the Ford board and read about those 6.0 Powerstroke diesels....

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeze, my truck is 12 years old and the only maint. expense has been oil, coolant, and filters which I do myself. Of course goodies for it have been a added expense. Adding a on board air system pretty soon.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.