cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota Diesel

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this isn't old news, but news to me. Just read that Tundra will come out with a Cummins in 2016. Optional I assume.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
56 REPLIES 56

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
A little off subject.... if you get auto trans have a trans temp gauge put on with a deep dish, drain plugged pan.

Maybe a diesel one day....maybe....manual gears.....never!

No need for a manual trans, my old 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 cummins sold to a friend has 280,000 miles on the stock original auto trans. He is a contractor and tows a 10,000 lb dump trailer on a regular basis, the auto trans will hold 6000 HP in a dragster
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
markchengr wrote:
X2, Sleepy. I always have the oil changed for my Duramax at Walmart. They use premium oil. I change my own fuel filters and buy them at an auto parts store not the dealer for half the price. I never go to a dealer, they mark everything way up. If I ever need work, I'll find a good independent diesel shop. So far no diesel work needed after 140,000 miles other than routine fluid and filter changes. -Mark.

I go another step further by going to a big rig filter supply house.

I'm saving another 30% or so on my filter costs.

Yes it means I have to travel further to get them, but, buying two or 3 yrs supply more than offsets that.

Adding another pre lift pump filter adds another 30%-50% to the life of the fuel filters and the lift pump.

There is no way I could ever go back to gasoline trucks after experiencing the Cummins. I have two of them and the second one will still afford great enjoyment for many years.

Brag Brag Brag... but you gasser guys are in for a big surprise full of enjoyment if you ever get your diesel truck.

Get it with a stick shift and you will really enjoy the pleasure of some real machinery.

A little off subject.... if you get auto trans have a trans temp gauge put on with a deep dish, drain plugged pan.

Maybe a diesel one day....maybe....manual gears.....never!

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
markchengr wrote:
X2, Sleepy. I always have the oil changed for my Duramax at Walmart. They use premium oil. I change my own fuel filters and buy them at an auto parts store not the dealer for half the price. I never go to a dealer, they mark everything way up. If I ever need work, I'll find a good independent diesel shop. So far no diesel work needed after 140,000 miles other than routine fluid and filter changes. -Mark.

I go another step further by going to a big rig filter supply house.

I'm saving another 30% or so on my filter costs.

Yes it means I have to travel further to get them, but, buying two or 3 yrs supply more than offsets that.

Adding another pre lift pump filter adds another 30%-50% to the life of the fuel filters and the lift pump.

There is no way I could ever go back to gasoline trucks after experiencing the Cummins. I have two of them and the second one will still afford great enjoyment for many years.

Brag Brag Brag... but you gasser guys are in for a big surprise full of enjoyment if you ever get your diesel truck.

Get it with a stick shift and you will really enjoy the pleasure of some real machinery.

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
serpa4 wrote:
I'll look at it. My GMC can kiss my butt.
Vibrations in the drive line.
Paint wearing off the dash.
Dually fenders cracking and never hit/dinged.
1/3 dash lights burned out.
3/4 steering wheel lights burnt out.
Cheap stuff like no glove box or hood lights.
Front turn signal lights falling out.
Speakers not working.
Steering clunks
Transfer case rub through.
And more. I baby my truck, keep it covered, and frequent oil changes.

All this at only 70,000 miles. I've had better luck with my previous 3 F350.

All smaller stuff, but dealing with it daily and I think this $40,000 truck from 2007 is a pretty poor quality thing. However, it makes life simple on choices, no GM products for me, cars or trucks.

Wow! Things have gone downhill from Oct 16, 2013 when you wrote...

Diesels are just as good as gas for daily drivers.
I've had three F350 chipped and no engine issues.
one daily driver diesel Jetta at 280000 with only the water pump going out. It was chipped since day one.
And, now a 2nd Jetta that is tuned and at 100000 with no issues.
My 2007 GMC 3500 Duramax blew a hole I two pistons.... After I tuned it to 598 hp and 1300 torque. It's been stock since the rebuild and totally reliable. Diesels are great and make great hp and fuel economy. However if you easily hop them up, they can and will fail if you go too far.

P. S. If diesel doesn't make a good daily driver then why are there so many diesel cars; vw, mercedes, BMW, ford cars, and a new 1500 dodge?

Ya, the truck is not holding up well. Engine is doing fine, but quality of the truck is crappy. Dodge used to be in the same boat, good engines, but crapy bodies. I detuned my truck to factory after breaking the motor year and years ago. My jetta is doing great. When it dies, probably will get another.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Okan-Star,
Actually modern EFI gas engines produce a lot more hydrides in their exhaust than a diesel engine. Modern EuroV compliant diesels have a lot less CO2 and Particulates than US tier regulation diesel. The real problems start with much older regulations.

Your right
I didnt mean to say that diesels pollute more than gassers , I know they dont, but they are unfortunatly part of our EPAS solution

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think Ram's strategy is to provide a more fuel efficient option.
Heck, diesels have (arguably) had enough power for 20 years.
What some of us want is better FE.

No that is not true. RAM and the other "American" pickup truck manufacturers need to meet tougher CAFE standards for overall fleet fuel economy which is difficult to do when more than half the vehicles sold are fuel inefficient SUV's and pickups.

Cheapest way to help the fleet average MPG is to get customers to buy diesel versions of the least efficient vehicles, SUV's and trucks. The customer pays the extra cost for the diesel engine and the extra cost for the fuel with diesel selling for 90 cents more a gallon than regular gas, and the higher cost of the maintenance required for the diesel engines. The customers pay the price and the manufacturers get the benefit so no wonder that diesels are being promoted.

The last thing I would buy is an unproven vehicle with an unproven diesel engine. It has not worked out well in the past with American cars or trucks. The diesel cars coming out of Europe have been in production for many years and are better engineered and reliable. The VW Rabbit diesel engine often ran for 300,000 miles or more and a friend put over 400,000 miles on his with the original engine. If I was going to buy a diesel powered car it would be from VW, BMW, or Audi.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Okan-Star,
Actually modern EFI gas engines produce a lot more hydrides in their exhaust than a diesel engine. Modern EuroV compliant diesels have a lot less CO2 and Particulates than US tier regulation diesel. The real problems start with much older regulations.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
If we decide to build a house we will be looking for a light truck home depot runner type truck. We would be looking for something around 700 to 800 pounds of payload (after all the seats are filled) and something that returns high mileage on the highway. I can see something like the 3.2 litre Ram being interesting. Being able to handle a 600 pound hitch weight (with the seats filled) and a towing capacity of 4000 to 5000 pounds would be a bonus. Anything above that would be a waste.

Re maintenance, we run four diesels out of 5 vehicles. The oil changes for the little smart diesels are pricey as they use synthetic. Around 55 bucks if just getting the oil and filter done. Fairly easy to do your self though as there is no drain plug. You use an extractor, stick the tube down the oil filler hole and suck it out. But it only gets changed once a year so I generally have Mercedes give it the once over which includes a bunch of other things including checking/changing the fuel filter which is another expense that the gassers don't have. Its easy to make it up in the amazing mileage they get if you do any amount of miles, not so much if you are only putting a few thousand miles per year on which is the case on one of our smarties. I can attest to one thing though, even small diesels pull very well. Smart diesels are only rated to pull 680 pounds but the motor is definitely not the weak link and the reason for low rating. (guessing the frame and the clutch). We tow with ours and other than slower starts as the clutch comes out it pulls the rated load strong on any hill. My point is a properly designed truck with a small diesel can probably do a nice job of towing lighter trailers like 3000 to 4000 pounds.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
When I bought my 2013 truck, to seal the deal, the dealer gave me lifetime $65 oil/filter changes and tire rotation (Dually).

Oil change schedule is 15,000 miles or whatever I am comfortable with.

I got the same thing then two years later they closed up shop. I never did have the work done there, just picked up the ingredients.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
sleepy wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
It's pretty much as I figured...nobody takes their $50,000.00 diesels to Walmart.....just the ones that have "a few" miles on them!

I have a rare opportunity to ask a question...

Is it true that trolls can't read?

Since your post history show a propensity to move from forum to forum making uninformed statements or attepts to stir the pot I thought I'd better ask now. I might not get another chance.

You will find that the truck camper owners are the brightest, most intellegent, most highly skilled people in the RV world

Others are often welcomed tho we all know they are out of their league.

OH! by th way.. TC folks are the best looking too :B

Thanks for the compliments!

I dont think that was a compliment , you may have mis read it:R

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
okan-star wrote:
805gregg wrote:
They are 25 years late to the diesel party

Actually Toyota has had a diesel motor option in trucks since the early 80`s , before Dodge
Saw one at a gas station a few years ago , kinda wanted it

I ment in a real truck, so did Isuzu and VW , where are they?

There in countrys that didnt raise their emision iimits
Thats why VW stoped importing in 2002 and why dodge changed to a 24 valve from a 12 , and why they put smaller turbos on dodges in 2000 and up and why ford went from the great 7.3 to the not so 6.0 to the dual turbo 6.6 all because of goverment restictions
But we dont have to wear face masks like they do in China:D

Its a good thing to because if we had to wear masks nobody could see how good looking us TCer`s are:B

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota used to sell diesel trucks in USA. There are a few around here but most of them went to Mexico when Toyota stopped selling them here.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
It's pretty much as I figured...nobody takes their $50,000.00 diesels to Walmart.....just the ones that have "a few" miles on them!

I have a rare opportunity to ask a question...

Is it true that trolls can't read?

Since your post history show a propensity to move from forum to forum making uninformed statements or attepts to stir the pot I thought I'd better ask now. I might not get another chance.

You will find that the truck camper owners are the brightest, most intellegent, most highly skilled people in the RV world

Others are often welcomed tho we all know they are out of their league.

OH! by th way.. TC folks are the best looking too :B

Thanks for the compliments!

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
I don't take my diesel to WalMart or the dealer for oil or fuel filter changes. It's easy and WAY cheaper if I do it myself and with the extended interval over most gas engines I don't see it as a greater expense.

Toyota has had diesel engines in their trucks for decades...just not in the USA.

Your an exception. Most owners don't change the oil theirselves.