cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota Tacoma towing capacity

kartsahd
Explorer
Explorer
I have an F-150 7 lug and she is just about worn out. I would like to buy a new truck but I am having trouble finding the "REAL" towing capacity of them. Also I would like to scale down a little as a full sized extended cab truck with an 8' bed is a pain to park downtown. The dealers are full of **** and most the web sites just tell you about packages, like wheels interior ect. I really like the Tacoma 4 door SR5. So many names have changed over the years but I think it is basically the old High Lux but bigger. I have a boat, 21' and with the trailer it weighs in about 4k pounds. Do any of you know what package eg. engine ect. I would need with a Tacoma to pull my boat. Short trips usually less than 2 miles on flat ground except one bridge. I try to stick to a 60% to 70% towing rule with my towing vehicles as I know that yes you may be able to lug something around but can you stop and control it! I was also looking at the Chevy Colorado.Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think based on experience (BTDT) that sounds about right.
FWIW and all things being fairly equal, I towed a 21'6"L x 7'W x 9'9"H TT that weighed fully loaded 4050lbs with a 2006 Nissan Frontier 2wd AT.
It struggled on hills and died in the mntns. 8.5 mpg. I had the 4.0L V6 as well.
I also had a 6500lb tow rating. 260hp. So pretty close as far as performance would be considered.
I traded up to an 08 F150 5.4 3.73 gears. Night and day as they say. MPG went up to 10.5. Towing was effertless.
JMHO but if you're a sunday driver who doesn't care when they get where they're going to, then it will be fine.
If you are the type that will pass people in a passing lane and like to run at a decent speed then you'll hate it.
What was frustrating was my Nissan empty was a pretty quick and sporty truck. Loaded up with the wife and I and the TT is was a big dog.

Nevada_Hudson
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Access cab with the 3.5 v6 with the factory towing package. It also has a leer cab high shell at about 160 lbs. Listed towing capacity is 6,500 lbs. Looking at a Rockwood trailer that has a dry weight of 4,300, dry hitch weight 383,dry axle weight,3,862. Saw some videos on YouTube and this truck has problems towing anything over 3,000 lbs. Also they say mileage goes down to 8 mpg ! We live in a mountainous state.
What do you think?

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
The Tacoma is very nice and will tow that boat well. I would certainly test drive a Colorado though, they are very nice as well.

Bedlam
More realistic of what a Taco can tow is to take the rear axle capacity and subtract the actual rear axle weight when loaded people and gear. This will give you the remaining payload available for the hitch weight. Since you know hitch weight will be 10-15 percent of the gross trailer weight rating, that is your real trailer towing limit.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Simple math, but have to have the actual weight of the Taco and Trailer/Boat in order to do that simple math

Here is the GVWR & GCWR ratings per the link provided

Here is the tow rating as per the link provided

Take the GCWR and subtract the Taco's actual weight, loaded ready to go

That will be the REAL MTWR (max tow weight rating), as the above tow rating from Toyota is with a 'curb' TACO, which few people will ever order

For those who think the OEM's MTWR is an absolute...take the GCWR and subtract the curb and it will be very close to the listed MTWR (there are other things in there, like the WD Hitch system and one 150 lb driver)

{edit}...of course the above charts only matter if you believe in the OEM ratings system or not...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport with the tow package (6500). In 2016 Toyota went with the new 3.5L V-6 which so far is doing really well. Mine has the 6 speed auto tranny. Pulls really good in 4th gear. he 5th & 6th are mostly highway gears. I pull a 17 foot Casita trailer with no problems at all. Gets around 14 to 16 mpg while towing. Non towing, 22 to 25 mpg. I use to own a Ford Ranger with the 4L V-6. This little truck is way better.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a Tacoma will tow that boat with ease. after all it is a lot easier to pull a boat than a TT. I think my tacoma is rated for 6,300 lbs.
bumpy

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
My 4.0L Taco is rated for 6500 but no way in hell i would pull that much with it. Around 5000 is a real life safe towing limit.

Either way braking is a issue and your fuel milage ia garbage.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
There does not seem to be much payload capacity. The boat and trailer will eat up about half your payload. Put 3 adults in the vehicle and you are over the payload capacity of the vehicle
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hauling capacity is equally important.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tacoma towing capacity
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
dupe
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life Towing Guides is very helpful.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE