cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota Tundra - TT ?

cantfindusernam
Explorer
Explorer
My dad has a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow package. It is not the TRD version. He is considering a Open Range 216 that is a new model and dry weight of 6000lbs. No other weights are given nor is this model located on Open Range website.

We know the Tundra can pull it...no problem but if his weight is 7500lbs loaded (he will not be traveling with very much water or waste) do yall think the tongue weight will be ok? Payload is about 1500lbs and only him and mom will be traveling in the truck.

Is this a good match? he will be using the 10k Equalizer Hitch.
37 REPLIES 37

jerry1946
Explorer
Explorer
I get about 10 mpg with the Tundra towing a Rockwood ultralit 2904SS about 7500 loaded. sometimes alittle over 10 ,sometimes a little under 10.

hescominsoon
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Some people don't like to let a gas engine rev, that is their prerogative, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with truck.

Agree, I didn't say it was wrong just that they would scream ๐Ÿ™‚

run a deisel up to 2.5k(where many of them are near redline) and they start making a ton of noise as well...any engine can scream. Gassers are designed for higher rpm...as long as you maintain them properly this is normal operations and not anything out of the ordinary.,.:)

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Here's wishing them a fun and safe trip!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

cantfindusernam
Explorer
Explorer
Dad & I picked up the Open Range today. Tundra handled it without any problems or concerns. I know the tt is empty but I don't see them putting a lot of stuff in it. They are taken it out next weekend for a trail run.

Thanks for the help.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
music69 wrote:
If shifting to higher rpm and/or slowing down on a grade is a problem when towing, then forced induction, diesel and big blocks are the only options. All n/a gas motors are going to shift (or slow) on grades when pushed. The DOHC motors that Toyota uses are more prone to this than, say, a GM push rod, since the torque curve is pretty steep up to ~3k+ rpm, but that's how they're intended to work. They rev so quietly, that I don't see where anyone would mind? Not much louder than a turbo spooling, to me, and pretty much always quieter than a Cummins ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you suggesting diesels don't slow down and scream like a banshee on the upgrades? Here's one towing a measely 13k~lbs up an interstate grade. Slowed it down, made it downshift and scream like a banshee. I don't know how anyone could drive such a migraine maker! :B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_1ZefREs0Y
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

music69
Explorer
Explorer
If shifting to higher rpm and/or slowing down on a grade is a problem when towing, then forced induction, diesel and big blocks are the only options. All n/a gas motors are going to shift (or slow) on grades when pushed. The DOHC motors that Toyota uses are more prone to this than, say, a GM push rod, since the torque curve is pretty steep up to ~3k+ rpm, but that's how they're intended to work. They rev so quietly, that I don't see where anyone would mind? Not much louder than a turbo spooling, to me, and pretty much always quieter than a Cummins ๐Ÿ™‚

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

Some people don't like to let a gas engine rev, that is their prerogative, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with truck.

Agree, I didn't say it was wrong just that they would scream ๐Ÿ™‚
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ah64id wrote:
Small, and I do mean small like a 2% rise for 1/2 mile, would send both rigs screaming. One guy was so annoyed he slowed to 55 in a flat stretch of a 75 mph zone to quit listening to the motor.

The other guy towed with it for a summer and now has a diesel, and said the tundra doesn't even hold a candle to the way a HD pickup tows it.

They both said the tundra has the power, just needs way too many rpms to make it.

Maybe it's the elevation out here? But 2 rigs with nearly identical trailers is not a fluke.

First of all, a bone stock Tundra is WHISPER QUIET, even at 4500 RPMs. Second of all, I have towed my 6500 lbs trailer (with a LOUD aftermarket exhaust) to Florida and back 3 times (about 2000 mile round trip) and never run into these alleged problems even hitting 6% grades. Third, obviously a HD diesel pickup will tow with more power and lower RPM. Fourth, naturally aspirated engines all require higher RPM's to make power. It isn't a problem, its not damaging the engine... that's how they were designed to operate.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Make sure he knows it would sound like a sewing machine on any and every grade if he wants to hold any speed.

I have two friends that had 18CK trailers (5,200lbs max) and got very tired of their 2007 and 2008 Tundra's down shifting on the slightest of grades. The trucks held speed just fine, but ran a LOT of rpms to do so.

I am sure this is how many gas rigs are, but no real experience with the others.

I find that hard to believe. They must be driving in OD if it was shifting a lot or had aftermarket exhausts if it was loud. I leave mine in 5th and it hums all day at 65mph in the low 2000rpm range with my 31' 7600lbs tt. If I hold speeds on some long grades it will downshift like any other vehicle, but it hardly sounds like a sewing machine. It's no low rpm diesel but it's also not loud or annoying at all.

Both where bone stock.

Small, and I do mean small like a 2% rise for 1/2 mile, would send both rigs screaming. One guy was so annoyed he slowed to 55 in a flat stretch of a 75 mph zone to quit listening to the motor.

The other guy towed with it for a summer and now has a diesel, and said the tundra doesn't even hold a candle to the way a HD pickup tows it.

They both said the tundra has the power, just needs way too many rpms to make it.

Maybe it's the elevation out here? But 2 rigs with nearly identical trailers is not a fluke.

One of the trips I was riding in a friends 460 ft/lb Cummins on 35's towing a similar trailer and the tundra was behind us. We where doing 60-65 and on every little incline, not grade just normal small inclines in a flat desert, they would fall way behind or listen to the motor scream.

These are the same small inlines I pull at 65-70 in OD and hardly notice the truck work any harder. 1-2% if I were to guess.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Make sure he knows it would sound like a sewing machine on any and every grade if he wants to hold any speed.

I have two friends that had 18CK trailers (5,200lbs max) and got very tired of their 2007 and 2008 Tundra's down shifting on the slightest of grades. The trucks held speed just fine, but ran a LOT of rpms to do so.

I am sure this is how many gas rigs are, but no real experience with the others.

I find that hard to believe. They must be driving in OD if it was shifting a lot or had aftermarket exhausts if it was loud. I leave mine in 5th and it hums all day at 65mph in the low 2000rpm range with my 31' 7600lbs tt. If I hold speeds on some long grades it will downshift like any other vehicle, but it hardly sounds like a sewing machine. It's no low rpm diesel but it's also not loud or annoying at all.

X3, I have not been able to duplicate the sewing machine sound on hills.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:

^^^ Agree with this. Only downshifting I have is on long steep grades and I have towed to Florida from Ontario 4 times with the Tundra and there are some pretty good grades along the way. No sewing machine noises here either just the 4000 RPM V8 pumping out power to pull up the grade like any other gas engine is suppose to do.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

cantfindusernam
Explorer
Explorer
He will only be traveling in eastern nc type driving.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer

-John