cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR:Anza Borrego Desert should be next on your list

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anza Borrego Desert is truly a wonderful place. It offers so much for the truck camper enthusiast. The jeep trails are fairly easy to navigate and the truck camping stellar. There are so many different things to check out. Just make sure you have a metal container for your fire. Feel free to PM me if you need advice on where to go. I have been on almost every jeep trail with our camper ๐Ÿ™‚

Here some of our latest adventures this winter in our "backyard" which we live about 1 hour away.

somewhere up Pinyon Wash

All alone in Pinyon Wash

Ancient Indian Village site in Harper Flat

cupules

Morteros

another cool dwelling site

and another

Metates

some of the views

sunset mountain makes a great hike for the adventurous

some of the wildlife ๐Ÿ™‚

please keep in mind these are illegal to take if you come across them

we also spent some time riding on the BLM land that borders Anza Borrego

the support trailer works great for certain things
airsoft gun target shooting

lego building

its a match!

Happy winter everyone
Nolan
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
17 REPLIES 17

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
CLICKY another adventure to check out
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mello Mike wrote:
Great pics, Nolan. Yes, we'll be out there in a few weeks to check it out.

Mike

Looks like its going to be a great weekend for president's day ๐Ÿ™‚ Perfect weather and no crowds, I know where I'm headed this weekend...

Friday

Sunny, with a high near 77.

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 54.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 76.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Sunday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

Sunday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Washington's Birthday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Monday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Boy did I missed this TR, looking great out with the kids and it's a wonderful place to wander around in.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics, Nolan. Yes, we'll be out there in a few weeks to check it out.

Mike
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
Very cool trip, I would love to take my kids there. We have a 19' toy hauler with a Dmax 4x4. Is this doable?

Are you talking about going up Pinyon Wash with it? If you are there are quite a lot of protruding boulders and it is doable but with extreme caution. You would need higher clearance on your trailer. I think you would be able to get to the intersection of pinyon wash road and Nolina wash but that would be it. Then you could drive to the end of pinyon wash with your truck and hike into Harper Flat. There is a pretty sweet campsite at this intersection. There is enough room to turn around but quite a bit of soft sand. The wash kind of changes each year/week/month depending on the rains so I would recommend scouting it out with your truck first...you can unhitch right off the road where pinyon wash starts as there is plenty of room. Once you get back there with your trailer stay awhile, you won't really see anyone else around except for the occasional jeep.

Wasn't thinking of taking the TH up the wash but just bringing my TH and setup camp somewhere easy accessible then unHitch like you mentioned and cruise around with the kids. Where would you recommend to setup camp? Thanks for the info looks so fun.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an off-roader, but Anzo-Borrego remains my favorite park of all time. Even though we now live in the AZ desert, I still try to get to Anzo-Borrego once a year. It is truly a magical place. Great pictures!
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
eDUBz wrote:
Very cool trip, I would love to take my kids there. We have a 19' toy hauler with a Dmax 4x4. Is this doable?

Are you talking about going up Pinyon Wash with it? If you are there are quite a lot of protruding boulders and it is doable but with extreme caution. You would need higher clearance on your trailer. I think you would be able to get to the intersection of pinyon wash road and Nolina wash but that would be it. Then you could drive to the end of pinyon wash with your truck and hike into Harper Flat. There is a pretty sweet campsite at this intersection. There is enough room to turn around but quite a bit of soft sand. The wash kind of changes each year/week/month depending on the rains so I would recommend scouting it out with your truck first...you can unhitch right off the road where pinyon wash starts as there is plenty of room. Once you get back there with your trailer stay awhile, you won't really see anyone else around except for the occasional jeep.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, great times in the Anza Borrego S.P. Thanks for the ride. When we lived near L.A., we called it simply "Anza", and we were lured there over and over again, except in summer. First jeep trip over the then open Anza Trail for us was in 1965 in a 1949 Willys Ute Wagon. Yep, a half century ago. We went up and down the "drop off's" as they were called bumbling along with absolutely no technique. But 'Anza' has a way of teaching you what you must eventually know. Because of some small migratory bird nesting there, you will never get to see the willow tunnels, as the Anza Trail is now closed to vehicles. However, the park is huge and diverse, and if you plan on seeing it (coming from afar) plan on spending more time than you think. It's very akin to seeing Yellowstone, which looks not that big on an atlas of the U.S. but looms large when you actually get there. I'm thinking you should do this soon as I fear a overwash of people from the January/February Quarzite crowd discovering a better alternative.
This is one of the best places I know of that you can use your 4WD TC to the fullest. Remote/Huge/Varied/lots of sand. At Dos Cabezas, Anza, 2002 during a full on January winter storm: That tarp was sent flying during the night. I found it 200 feet downwind the next day.

It is just a great and special place in our lives and will be on my mind till my dying day.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pinyon Wash has always been one of my favorite spots in that part of the Park!
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice post and great pics! Thanks for sharing.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Nice post and pics. Thanks for sharing. Anza Borrego is on my bucket list to see if I ever make it out that way. Nice setup you have there.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
Someday we'll get there. Thanks.

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer
Great post and pictures and a great setup you have there
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs