cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: San Diego Summer Beach Camping

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
The month of August/September for us is spent camping at the beach as much as possible. It is really the only local place to go during the summer. Its hard to swallow the over priced camping fees, but this year was special as my brother In law purchased his first truck camper and was able join us on 2 trips. I usually check reserve america for last minute cancellations and have been lucky getting a spot a few days in advance.

Trip#1 San Elijo State Beach with my bro

Still Trying to get my bro to get a TC. He has a 2000 f250 diesel and was the one who directed me to my truck. I am trying to get him over to a TC.

One thing we have learned is the $3.00 Planes at the camp store are only for flying in the sand.

Fellow TC nearby

Trip#2 South Carslbad State Beach
My brother in law (different from my bro) purchased his first TC and joined us with his little ones

Kids enjoying the view

Stairs are good at south carsbad because they keep a lot of others away so the beaches are relatively uncrowded in summer.

The necessity of a Television

Pack n play in Lance 845

Another day at the beach ๐Ÿ™‚

South carsbad is starting to upgrade some of the sites with full hook ups

Trip #3 South Carlsbad State Beach
Sister In Law first time TC driver: she handled the rig great

Beach front property at $50 a night but worth it

The Crew: its a lot of work but love every minute of it ๐Ÿ™‚

Another day at the beach

Dolphin spotting

Love my 9 year old

Amazing sunsets

This is a about as campground as we get. Lots of people but a great time. If anyone is coming to san diego these are must visit campgrounds. We go back and forth on which one is better and right now we are south carlsbad fans ๐Ÿ™‚ January is the best time to come but we are ususally out in the desert exploring ...

Boy I am looking forward to winter
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
9 REPLIES 9

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeepers92 wrote:
We are headed that way by way of the gulf coast, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Waiting on storms to rain out.

Sounds like a great trip! If you need any tips on the area please let me know. If you are coming after Mid October time frame Anza Borrego should be on your list ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
joeshmoe wrote:
What were the temps like, Nolan? No A/C must have made it slightly uncomfortable.

It's been 100+ here the last week--and we live only a few miles inland from the coast. Crazy hot.

Good pics.

Yes it was very warm in the 90's. We tried to run the 13.5 coleman mach A/C off our Honda 2000 and it kept shutting off on high cool. It did work on Low cool. If you had the water pump on for an extended amount of time or turned on a few lights it shut right down!

My BIL purchased this from home depot and after discounts and everything he paid $500. It ran his A/C no problem. Still trying to figure out what unit/BTU rating he has.

This is a really great generator in comparison to the 1k price tag I spent for my Honda 2000. It has about the same decible rating as the honda, and eco mode, which is very quiet and a great deal. It has a couple handles and even has wheels. Not sure how it will do in the long run as my honda has run flawlessy for quite some time.

that being said we hung out in the Lance 845 when we were at our campsite, but for the most part we stayed down at the beach for as long as possible.

Nolan

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed that way by way of the gulf coast, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Waiting on storms to rain out.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
What were the temps like, Nolan? No A/C must have made it slightly uncomfortable.

It's been 100+ here the last week--and we live only a few miles inland from the coast. Crazy hot.

Good pics.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really enjoy camping at the ocean. There was a time, back in the 70's we went to Pismo Beach every three day weekend. First in a tent then TCs. There was four of us. We did not feel crowded. We do not go there any longer, too crowded. It appears all of you were having a great time. Thanks for the photos.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! The happy looks on the children say it all! ๐Ÿ™‚ Here's to many, many more trips and happy smiles!

Cheers!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great time was had by all..very cool pics. I plan to get some SOCALPacific sand on my toes one of these days.....on the never ending list most assuredly.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Love San Elijo. Easily my favorite CG on the So Cal coast (though Sunset Vista in HB is really growing on me). Wakeup run across the RR tracks to Starbucks for coffee and hit the market for some fresh fruit then wander back to the beach and start the business of relaxation.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
That brings back so many memories. When I was a young man in the 60's, my mom and dad had a TC and we'd spend several weeks each summer at South Carlsbad. Your pictures show it hasn't changed a lot in all those years. I need to plan a trip out there and do some camping for nostalgia purposes.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)