cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: The "Wildnerness" Jennie Lakes near KC and Seq NP

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you own a truck camper and like to do some mild hiking this is a MUST do trip for you and your family ๐Ÿ™‚ Unable to secure camping reservations at lodgepole campground and with the scare of water not being available at Dorst camprgound in Sequoia national park we decided to "wing it" and just head for the hills.

Who would have thought our first casualty on the new wolf creek would be from an oak tree in our own driveway...In case you were wondering what the inside of the new antenna looks like. The funny thing is I did not add this as an option and northwood installed this by mistake, so I am happy to get rid of this thing I will never use.

We left San Diego in the morning and ended up making it into sequioa national forest at the Kings canyon and Sequoia national park entrance. we pulled off at big stump picnic area for a quick dinner.

This wasn't the biggest stump but the closest stump

Here is a map our the area: Big Meadows campground is pretty nice and seculuded, however there are big rewards if you bypass the "developed" campgrounds and explore the "dispersed" sites. Especially on the weekend for those "weekend warrior" types.

If you follow the green line you can see exactly where we made it into the "wilderness"

14S16 is the dirt road turnoff from paved road passed big meadows campground. Basically once you pass the campground and go over the bridge, it will be the first dirt road on the right.

finally getting away from it all and heading up up up...What is this "wilderness" thing everybody keeps talking about?

This is our camping/parking space for the next couple of days. This makes the big meadows campground look like tract housing ๐Ÿ™‚

sunsets in the area are pretty nice

Glad I brought my camera on this trip

The stars in the area are pretty nice as well

the nice thing about the wolf creek 850 is the amount of storage. I pulled out all the backpacking gear shoved in every nook and cranny and prepared pack everything back into and even smaller space in our backpacks. we would need this for an overnight stay in the "Wilderness".

we headed out ready to tackle Weaver Lake which is about a 2.5 mile hike to the lake. There is also Jennie lake which is about 5 miles. This is considered the Jennie Lakes Wilderness nestled in between Kings canyon national park and Sequoia National park. A great place to avoid the crowds of the summer.

If you were wondering why I keep referencing the term "Wildnerness" it is because I never knew what it actually meant until I read what it was posted on a sign.

we signed in

and headed up

up

up

a few breaks are in order on the way in as it is all uphill. Its nice because the way back is all down.

The hike is well worth the effort

headed around the south/west part of the lake to find our campsite

this place will do ๐Ÿ™‚

pitched the tent and got a fire going

nothing like mac n cheese and hotdogs for lunch

we set out to explore weaver lake

immediatly my kids wanted me to set up the fishing poles

I need to take a fishing class or something because it took me about an hour to set up th fishing pole with my kids patiently waiting..the fire starting to go out...dishes needing to get done...the dread of sleeping in a tent with a jacket for a pillow, no beer because it is too heavy...uhhh can I go back to the truck camper now?

It didn't help on the first trial cast the bait and the hook flew off!

we finally go the hang of it and right around dusk hundereds of fish were jumping out of the water catching bugs...our bait was submerged in the water

kids soaking it all in

filitering water, boy did we miss out 30 gallon fresh water tank and
case of bottled water at the camper.

the next morning we woke to thunder storms and the rain falling down.

headed back to the cozy camper

the start of the trip is the fox meadow trailhead, our camping spot is about 1/4 mile further down the road

We saw more marmonts on the trip than other campers in the area. Down in the valley where the big meadows campground is we could hear the faint sound of music playing and car alarms going off.

if you own a truck camper, or smaller rv this is a really cool place to put on your list...camp fees spent on trip $0, and the only permit you need is a campfire permit you complete and print online.

headed back out to the "flat land" where temps are currently in the high 90's and california is in a major drought...boy do we wish we could be full timers.

hope you enjoyed the trip and hope you can make it on the next one ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
22 REPLIES 22

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice report and a neat spot to go to.
Thanks for sharing.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
excellent
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you! That area is going onto my bucket list. It looks great - scenery, trails, lakes, and not too difficult either for driving or for hiking.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great pics,that is all in my backyard and having a fifth wheel forty feet long was never accessible to us, but we now have a Host Camper and can't wait to go into areas like that!! WE will be heading that way and down that road,May be we will run into each other someday, Thanks again!!

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report, thanks for posting.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice pics and nice narrative. Thanks.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
The kids will remember this trip forever.

And so will you.

Congratulations

And thaks for sharing it with all of us.

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful trip for everyone. All too often, children spend way too much time with all their electronic stuff and not enough time having fun with Mom and Dad.

Way to go. Things like this will be remembered for years to come.

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚