cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade in question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Lance camper and have decided to upgrade to a TT. Have any of you traded in a camper? Can you get a decent price? Or are they going to totally lowball me?
Thanks!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
19 REPLIES 19

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I figured based on model #, the research could've been done by the OP if they were interested in a comparison to their 08 model's value.

I bought my '08 Keystone for $19,500 in 2007. The original MSRP was $28k. I got $10,500 in trade which was approximately what I could've gotten for it in great condition privately. There was a leak on the wall behind the couch and occasionally the door would leak around the frame. Otherwise, in the dealers words "it was in immaculate condition". I didn't want to sell to a private party due to the leak issues, so I traded it in. I got back what I owed on it, so nothing came out of the price of the new trailer, but I still got about 33% off MSRP for the new one, so I was happy. I just wanted the hassle of the old trailer gone and we were ready for an upgrade anyway.

I had actually agred to a lower trade in and slightly higher sales price at the RV show, but since we had to re-sign the paperwork 3 weeks later when we actually picked up the trailer, I Went ahead and did a bunch of research. I sent the dealer an email listing other dealers with better prices on the same trailer and I asked for a discount to match. they raised the price of the trade in and lowered the price of the new trailer to accommodate my request. If there is one thing RV dealers want, it's to not lose someone who has already decided to spend money with them. They still made some money on the deal and I walked away satisfied.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
BTW, the trailer I traded in was a 2008 Keystone Springdale 266RL and I got $10,500 for it on trade. Might give you an idea of what you could get for your '08 trailer.

We need more information than that. If your new one listed for 40k and they gave you 10.5 trade-in, as one dealer tried on me, you gave them your trade-in for nothing and still paid too much. Not saying you did, just asking for more information.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
Doug33 wrote:
Keep in mind that when you trade in an RV (or car), it reduces the overall purchase price by the amount of the trade, which in turn reduces the sales tax you would pay. At least I know that's how it works in NJ and PA.

As an example:

$25K sale price of new RV
- $10K trade in value of old RV
= $15K purchase price

Sales tax is thus reduced by $10K x 7% (NJ rate) = $700

So with a private sale, you would have to sell for at least $700 more than the trade-in value to break even.

I like this idea....don't see it happening in California (rip off state). That is how it should work though. ๐Ÿ™‚

My camper is worth about 20k, hard for people to come up with that much cash.

In some states, like here in Missouri, you get this same "deal" even if you sell privately. It works by transferring the registration plate from the old camper to the new one. Same with cars, motorcycles, etc.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug33 wrote:
Keep in mind that when you trade in an RV (or car), it reduces the overall purchase price by the amount of the trade, which in turn reduces the sales tax you would pay. At least I know that's how it works in NJ and PA.

As an example:

= $15K purchase price

So with a private sale, you would have to sell for at least $700 more than the trade-in value to break even.

I like this idea....don't see it happening in California (rip off state). That is how it should work though. ๐Ÿ™‚

My camper is worth about 20k, hard for people to come up with that much cash.
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
Or are they going to totally lowball me?
Thanks!

If the dealer doesn't stock truck campers, then I would guess they will low-ball you on an offer, as they will probably not want to resell it in the retail market and auction it to some other dealer.
Bob

NorfolkCounty
Explorer
Explorer
This works.

SprinklerMan wrote:
First, get your best price on the new camper , then decide on the trade . Then negotiate , its the end of the summer they want rv's off their lot . Before they can insult you on the trade in , insult them on the new unit . Make an offer , then walk , leave your number . They will call
Chris - Chesapeake, VA
2007 Silverado 2500HD 2WD 6.0L, 2009 Jayco 26BH

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer I brought discounted the TT 30% off msrp to start with in there site. He took 500 off , gave a equalizer wdh unit installed for 500. He also gave me 8k for my trade. I had it on Craigslist for 7500 btw for a Month with 1 weirdo call . So far happy.

He put my unit the following day for 9k on his site.sold in 2 weeks.when I stopped by he did say the ability finance makes it hard for used units to sell privately.

The next unit in a few years will be from them as they are 1 mile from home and is a small mom and pop store.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
Everything is negotiable. Dealers have different overhead cost. If you don't get the deal you want from one dealer, move on to the next. I use the internet (rv trader) for comparisons.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
First, get your best price on the new camper , then decide on the trade . Then negotiate , its the end of the summer they want rv's off their lot . Before they can insult you on the trade in , insult them on the new unit . Make an offer , then walk , leave your number . They will call

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
The amount they offer you on a trade means nothing if they haven't discounted the new rig by at least 30%. Your only concern should be the difference you have to pay and yes expect to take a beating.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer

As an example:

= $15K purchase price

2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in a 2 year old TT for a 5th wheel from the same manufacturer and only got 1/2 what I had just paid for it. You will be much better off selling your old one yourself.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, the trailer I traded in was a 2008 Keystone Springdale 266RL and I got $10,500 for it on trade. Might give you an idea of what you could get for your '08 trailer.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
You will get a lot more privately. Try truckcamperads.com and the usual craigslist etc. Dont expect much more than 10-12K