cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer sway

stigle
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32' travel trailer which we pull with a ford e 350 diesel. We have reese sway bars. We have traveled all across the country with no issues. Today we have been swaying like we were on a dance floor! Our TT is about 11 years old. Do these sway bars need to be replaced over time or is there something else I should be checking?
13 REPLIES 13

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your welcome. I would move one of the generators to the front (or both part way) and see if this helps even more as it sounds like you barely have enough tongue weight as normally loaded.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Take a close look at the trailer's axles and spring hangers..

Bingo...the bushings in the Spring eyes and Equilizer can cause this if they are bad/worn. Or if you have a broken leaf spring. (Can be hard to see)

Your trailer should not sway if loaded and hitched correctly WITHOUT the Sway bars. I dont see that as being a cause.

I have a 32 footer, 3/4 ton, NO sway bars. Never a problem with thousands of miles of towing in all weather and all terrain/roads

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just replaced my suspension equalizers because they were noisy. I went with Dexter EZ flex. What I found was that everything was worn out. All the bolt holes were oblonged. Basically the trailer was walking over the axles. After I replaced everything the trailer handled so much better. The trailer always felt loose behind the truck. Now the whole setup feels more stable than it ever has. Check out my posting in the Dexter EZ flex sticky at the top of this forum.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
How did you load your TT for this trip? Did you put alot of stuff aft of the TT wheels or hanging on a rack off the bumper? That would do it. I have the Reese dual cam hitch with the same bars for 12 years now. I still use 6 links of chain on them. They havent worn out. Examine them and maybe you cracked one or the hitch is defective in some way. Otherwise I think its your load.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

stigle
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice. Thank you. I loaded 2 honda generators in the back of the trailer to transport. Moved them up to the middle of the trailer and driving better now. I will check out the other suggestions when i get home as it still could be better. Thanks so much!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
If you are talking about the sway bars with the brake pad like material, they can be adjusted.

Or are you talking about weight distribution bars. Reese makes both and you can get the weight distribution bars with built in sway control (Dual Cam). Weight distribution bars without built in sway typically don't have much (if any) ability to reduce/eliminate sway.

However, if you are talking about the friction type anti-sway device and you haven't made any changes, I too would look first at how you last loaded stuff in the trailer and secondly if you have some damage to the trailer's tongue or suspension.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I recently felt some abnormal sway on my way home and found the hitch receiver on the truck had a bad weld. The receiver, and ball, were aimed 2-3" toward the passenger side rather than than centered. I guess it was wiggling side to side on the Interstate.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Take a close look at the trailer's axles and spring hangers..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also look at loadingand or inspect your trailer for damage to the running gear..same for your truck.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Are you carrying more in your tanks (fresh/grey/black) than usual. Stuff sloshing around can feel like the tail wagging the dog.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Ivylog...did you load your trailer differently than usual? Too much weight behind the axles will offload the hitch. That is the most prevalent cause of trailer sway.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about the sway bars with the brake pad like material, they can be adjusted.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What did you put in the back of the trailer?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...