cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Width - Pros and Cons

MisterCipher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a travel trailer that I can tow with the Toyota Highlander which just has standard side mirrors. I'm seeing widths from 90 inches to 102 inches. I'm concerned if I go too wide I'll need to use side mirror extenders which I'd prefer to avoid.

Are there advantages to narrower trailers? Or should I try to get the widest possible to maximize interior space?
27 REPLIES 27

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Frontal area limits will make you upgrade the tow vehicle regardless of width. I’d be hard pressed to attempt a 3500 pound low height pup with a highlander.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The Grand Aero series of towing mirrors work very well, are very quick to put on/take off, and cost about $100. Not really any reason not to use them or something equivalent. Some universal mirrors vibrate, or are a hassle to install and adjust which may not be worthwhile.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Might as well figure on them. More than likely, you will want them, anyway.
My camper is 90” and I wouldn’t be without the Aero mirrors while towing.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
You seriously will want the towing mirrors. Not just for seeing behind you while driving, they're helpful while backing up.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I towed my TT with my HIghlander, I bought two strap on side mirrors that worked OK, a little vibration but they worked.
bumpy

MisterCipher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great feedback. Sounds like width is not a primary consideration. I think I'm narrowing my choice down to the Coachman Apex. 90 inch width plus a slideout.
-Lou

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
MisterCipher wrote:
Are there advantages to narrower trailers?

Yes, you won't need side mirrors.

Also, with the Highlander being a relatively "mid-sized" SUV, I wouldn't want to tow anything wider than 90" or 96"

102" is out of the question
Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT is 7 1/2 feet wide (90 inches) and I use mirror extenders. They work fine and provide extra vision to the rear but I probably could "get away" without them. Easy to put on and take off. Once the right hand one is adjusted...piece of cake.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both 90" and 96" TT (not sure of the width of one of my trailers);
I would not let the use of mirror extenders dictate the choice of TT. The floor-plan/weight/length etc should dictate the choice.

I currently have a 90" toy hauler and coming from a 96" TT, the TH does feel more
compact. My next camper will be 96" or greater.

HOWEVER - one advantage of a narrower TT is that it presents a smaller profile to the wind, which may or may nor matter.
Gerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you dont want mirror extensions, then be prepared either for tickets, or no trailer. You absolutely MUST have a clear view behind you. It is the law afterall. So your choice is pretty clear.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
You will want extended mirrors, no matter what you tow.

X2.
And I would not let a few inches either way scare me off of a rig I like.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You will want extended mirrors, no matter what you tow.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I sure wouldn't choose any trailer less than 8' wide just so I could potentially avoid using towing mirrors. Regardless of what mirror solution you choose more interior space is always an advantage, especially with any trailer that doesn't have a slide.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380