cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tranny cooler question

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to my mechanic a while back about adding a tranny cooler. He looked at my truck and said I already had a heavy duty cooler installed. On one trip with a long up hill pull, I saw the tranny temp get to about 220 degrees. The weather outside was in the mid 60's. I'm wondering if I should add an additional cooler or does this sound about normal!

Thanks!
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon
46 REPLIES 46

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Op said it got hot going up a long hill pull.

That means the TCC was unlocked and that will make lots of trans heat in no time flat.

On big hills people need to learn/pay attention to what gear they are in and if the converter is in lockup or not. Then modify their driving habit or gear selection so they can keep it in lockup.

I did have the overdrive off.
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
I would also flush the transmission fluid and install synthetic after upgrading to the cooler from the 6.0
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
oops just saw that it is a '99. That may be "normal" for the reason Mark listed. Mine does have the in-tank and external cooler.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
220 in of itself is not too high

I would consider that too high for the 4R100 considering the outside air temp.

Mine typically maxes out about 120F higher than outside temp, and only after LONG hard climbs (like 15% grades for several miles). Even pulling moderate grades like Cabbage Hill or Siskiyou summit, mine might hit 200F on a hot day.

The 4R100 behind the 7.3L certainly can benefit from better transmission cooling, but temps like on a cool day would be a red-flag to me that the transmission (probably torque converter) is already slipping generating excessive heat.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Mark Kovalsky wrote:
There is no thermostat or check valve in the 4R100 that would make the trans heat up.

The 1999 Superduty truck had a unique trans cooling problem. They were built with ONLY an air to oil cooler in front of the engine radiator. There was no transmission cooler inside the radiator. It didn't take long for Ford to realize that was a BIG mistake! In mid-year 2000 they added the transmission cooler inside the radiator back into production.

Many 1999 trucks had the radiator replaced with one that had a transmission cooler. If your truck doesn't have a radiator cooler that would help bring the temps down quite a bit.

The second thing that would make a huge difference is changing the air to oil cooler for a cooler from a 6.0L truck. This cooler is many times larger than your stock cooler. It mounts to the stock mounts, so it is an easy bolt in. The only modification needed is that the cooler has 1/2" lines, your truck has 3/8" lines. Your can get adapters to go from 1/2" to 3/8" at any hardware store.

I'd do what this guy says ^^. He knows his stuff.

X 10,000. Put a 6.0 cooler on and no more worries!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark Kovalsky wrote:
There is no thermostat or check valve in the 4R100 that would make the trans heat up.

The 1999 Superduty truck had a unique trans cooling problem. They were built with ONLY an air to oil cooler in front of the engine radiator. There was no transmission cooler inside the radiator. It didn't take long for Ford to realize that was a BIG mistake! In mid-year 2000 they added the transmission cooler inside the radiator back into production.

Many 1999 trucks had the radiator replaced with one that had a transmission cooler. If your truck doesn't have a radiator cooler that would help bring the temps down quite a bit.

The second thing that would make a huge difference is changing the air to oil cooler for a cooler from a 6.0L truck. This cooler is many times larger than your stock cooler. It mounts to the stock mounts, so it is an easy bolt in. The only modification needed is that the cooler has 1/2" lines, your truck has 3/8" lines. Your can get adapters to go from 1/2" to 3/8" at any hardware store.

I'd do what this guy says ^^. He knows his stuff.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

That means the TCC was unlocked and that will make lots of trans heat in no time flat.

On big hills people need to learn/pay attention to what gear they are in and if the converter is in lockup or not. Then modify their driving habit or gear selection so they can keep it in lockup.

How do you know about the TC being unlocked?

My 99 psd TC always stayed locked up on long grades after it downshifted.

Installing the 6.0 trans cooler is the fix and not that difficult. Bet there are a bunch of how to's on youtube. Give it a look.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my first ( and last ) transmission on my 1977 chevy ( purchased new ) blazer 400 cubic inch with the 3 speed turbo hydro .
I was towing boats at the time and not TT's .
Since then I have purchased the tranny cooler before paying to have the transmission rebuilt .
Either way I was gonna buy a tranny cooler .
Does not apply to current duramax/Allison towing a 6300 # tt .
220 degrees is too much for longevity , I think .

Mark_Kovalsky
Explorer
Explorer

Mark

Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer, 1988-2007

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
220 is too hot for sure. I have the exact same truck as you and I added a cooler and trans temp gauge last year off ebay. Best money I spent on the truck. I towed 6000 lbs today at 75 degrees outside and it pegged at 150 degrees and never got hotter. 220 is approaching pull over to the side of the road temp. You don't want to be spewing trans fluid on the ground and overheating a very expensive trans so get yourself a good cooler and gauge. by the way I know this truck inside and out and have been doing road service and been a mechanic 22 years. 220 is too hot, and the little cooler you will see on the front of the radiator at the lower edge is NOT a trans cooler, it's a power steering cooler on the F250.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
220 in of itself is not too high and maybe where a thermostat or check valve opens. I would wait for a warmer day before condemning it.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have good airflow through the whole system and where was the engine cooling system temp. The transmission oil can take that temperature for short periods but the life is decreased. If you have a factory cooler which is working ok it should be all you need.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I believe some of the guys with the 7.3s are using the larger coolers from the 6.0 diesels...It's not exactly a direct swap but it helps lower those temps. 220 with an ambient temp in the 60s seems a bit high.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

gwilheln
Explorer
Explorer
you can add the largest you can fit in, the bigger the better,along with synthetic oil, it shold take over 10 qt. if not thay mixed.