cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission cooler?

Abaird85
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,I am looking into purchasing our first pop-up camper but I'm concerned our minivan may not handle it. We have a 2006 town and country 3.8L V6 with the stow and go. My brother is comfortable installing a class 2 hitch and doing the wiring. My concerns lay with the transmission. I've read various forums but cannot find a straight answer if a trans cooler is definitely needed. I'm looking at pop-ups between 12-16' that are less then 2000 unloaded. We're in Michigan so not really any mountains or crazy heat. Probably would not be traveling more then 5hrs drive time ever (small children). I'm not wanting to invest the extra $400 on the trans cooler in such an older van if I don't have to. Not trying to be overly cheap just realistic that I'll probably be replacing our van in the next 2 years anyway. Any advice is appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
For "2006 town and country 3.8L V6 with the stow and go...", I would:
- Install Class III hitch. Spend a little more dollars and +1 upgrade to Class III (instead of planning Class II). Nice to have extra strength - especially across the unseen deep bumps and double railway tracks.
- Install electric brakes on the trailer. re: Brake Assemblies and/or axle replacement (with its own brake hubs).
- For Brake Controller, recommend Prodigy P2 or P3 model. Stay away from lower cost "timed" technology controllers.
- Install 7 Pin connector on the mini-van's rear. Being a PUP that probably has its own onboard 12V battery, I would also install a "trickle charge" wire from TV's battery to PUP's battery via through their connected 7-pin connector.
- Yes. Install Aux cooler on the mini-van. Install one rated for 5,000 lbs connected trailer - especially if one lives / travels in hilly / windy regions.
- Only pull in 1 gear below auto (D). - to reduce auto gear hunting - that creates inner transmission heat.
- For the Dodge mini-van line, I'd also install Timbren SES units - to eliminate rear sag.

Good aux cooler install video for 2006 GC at: - click here -

Notes:
- 2006 Dodge mini-vans don't have HD brakes. If I remember correctly, HD brakes were standard on 2014+ models. Trailer with their own brakes will reduce the risk of front brake rotor warpage / shimmy effect.
- If wondering, Timbren SES units are hallow chunks of rubber that fit inside rear coil springs. Thus, no worry about air leaks, airing up/down hassle either. To view Timbren SES units in my mini-van, surf: - click here -
- Install aux cooler 2" (or so) away from its other frontal position RADs. Ths gap allows one to "protection wrap" the aux cooler during freezing cold winter months. Unknown to some folks, have trans fluid too cold is harder on an inner transmission than too hot. Wrap the aux cool with wind break material during deep cold season. To view my mini-van with its aux cooler wrapped (only during 4 month freezing cold months), surf: - click here -

Remember that its not just the weight of the connected PUP. Its also the combined weight of onboard cargo and onboard people. Add stress with climbing hills against strong head winds (even with lower profile PUP), and one is pushing the upper limited of minimum factory build. Install above items and your older age 2006 mini-van will thank you. Especially when on the road in far off lands where roadside rescue is hard to obtain.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe that they sell vehicles without transmission coolers. Especially anything with any towing capacity. My son's Honda mini-van burned up a transmission. The guy that worked on it said it was heat that killed it. He didn't tow with it. After he got it back from the shop with the new tranny in it, he put in a cooler. That was the first I'd heard of such a thing! It didn't even have something that piggybacked inside the radiator. Unbelievable!
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go to any parts store and buy a cooler off the shelf. They are easy to install. Find your cooler lines at the radiator. Start with a cold car. Have someone start the car, hold the brake and put it in drive. Feel which line warms up first. The line that stays cool the longest is the return line. Disconnect that one. The kit should come with a line that screws into the radiator. The stock line and the part that screwed into the radiator will have flared ends. Mount the cooler to the front of the radiator - condenser. Make sure to stay consistent in a location that the hoses will reach the return line(s). The hose will be one piece out of the box. Mount both sides to the cooler with hose clamps and route the loop of hose to the open return lines with no real sharp turns, no less than a 3 or 4 inch loop. Once you have this laid out cut the hose, put a loose hose clamp over each end, slide them on the open return lines and tighten the hose clamps. The ideal situation is for the return to go uphill so, you want the side coming out of the radiator to go to the bottom of the cooler. Make sure not to mount any cooler on the feed line that comes from the transmission into the factory cooler in the radiator. That would make the cooler pretty useless. Check for leaks and top up the transmission with Chrysler transmission fluid, ATF+4. Do not over fill. The T&C doesn't come with a dip stick. I made one for my 2010 T&C out of a generic dipstick. It's simple to measure it out to use to measure your level. If you feel uncertain about doing this job to your van let a mechanic do it. Make sure to not Route a hose so it's chaffing a sharp edge. The 3.8 should handle a pop up fine. I do think you need a cooler for that transmission.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Yes get the cooler IF it does NOT have one. It should be installed inline AFTER the line comes out of the radiator.

All automatics have transmission coolers, the question is really should there be an additional one added to increase the capacity. I cannot see where additional cooling is required for a pop-up and a van.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes get the cooler IF it does NOT have one. It should be installed inline AFTER the line comes out of the radiator.

Another thing, and important as well. A FULL sized spare tire is part of the tow package. You DO NOT want to tow with a donut. So you will need to upgrade the spare.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend you hold your speed to about 60 until you get a handle on towing and performance. And stick to secondary roads for a while.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Abaird85
Explorer
Explorer
Idk that it's something I could install myself. Im also having a hard time selling this whole pop up idea to the husband. We're on a tight budget so a 2000 2nd hand pop up is a lot when I start adding in the hitch, and now a cooler. Im sensing that if I'm only going 65 on the e-way, across the state or up north then I should be OK for now. Definitely will consider a tow pkg in a newer van for anything more extensive. Thanks 🙂

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a large tranny cooler on my truck for less than $50. I have a total of 3 tranny coolers because you can never be to safe. I installed a Hayden Automotive 678 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler from Amazon. Simple install.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless of what you decide about the cooler, you can help keep the temps down by slowing down and shifting down. Turn off overdrive, hold your speed down, and any time you feel a lot of shifting going on, manually downshift and leave it there. The worst thing on a transmission is continually hunting for gears. Also depending on how many miles you travel towing, you should shorten your interval for flushing the transmission, and checking or changing other fluids.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large teardrop trailer about the same weight as your pop-up. I did add a transmission cooler but we were going to be mountain climbing in the Sierras, and did. some 8% grades and 110+F. I also switched to synthetic ATF and have an Ultraguage that tells me the actually tells me the engine temp and on certain vehicles the transmission temps.
Given your situation I would not add the cooler (we also camp in Michigan) and you are fresh out of mountains.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
The pop-ups have a low profile, so low additional wind resistance behind a van. The main requirement for additional transmission cooling is extended driving with the high profile trailers, with their high drag. If your going to do 85 mph for long periods of time you may need additional cooling, but it's unlikely one is required for normal use and a pop-up.
This is why some cars and vans specify trailer frontal area in their towing requirements.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, first of all, I don't think it would cost you $400. At least it shouldn't. I was able to get one installed for between $200 and $300, although I don't remember the exact cost.

I look at it as insurance. It will definitely keep your transmission fluid cooler than it would be otherwise, and it is heat that kills transmissions. So you'll be investing in protection, and it will be effective and helpful. No question about it. Do you need it? Maybe; maybe not. But why not err on the side of protection?

When I was faced with the same question I wanted to get a read on just exactly how hot my transmission fluid was while towing. So I bought a ScanGauge II in order to get that information. I found that my transmission fluid was approaching 250 degrees on some hills. I definitely knew then that I wanted to spring for the auxilliary cooler. After that my temps never went above 230 - even on some very long grades in WV. No doubt a worthwhile purchase in my case. Your mileage may vary, of course.

(BTW - I no longer need my ScanGauge II, and I have it for sale on Craigslist for $85. New they are $160. You probably don't want to buy it, since you are concerned about investing in an older vehicle, but there it is anyway. https://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/6022248237.html)

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same dilemma with a Chevy front wheel drive minivan years ago, never pulled the trigger but I understand your concerns. From what I recall the Chrysler minivans had the best tow rating for quite awhile. Anyway....look up the info on the towing package for your specific model from the factory. You'll probably find it had a transmission cooler and heavier rear springs...? things you could reasonably add yourself. Others more knowledgeable will probably be along soon!