cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer Trade-in - what to do?

cubscout
Explorer
Explorer
Went to my local RV Dealer yesterday, to get trade in value of camper.mWe have purchased our last 2 campers from them. I have a 2011 Passport Grand Touring , power hitch, power jacks, power awning, dvd,cd, flat screen tv, outside speakers, attached grill,1 large slide, bunk beds, queen bed, U shaped dinette. This was a special unit back in 2011. Total price $33,000. Had to put down payment $8,000. Total financed $26,000. Now I am told that in 4 yrs, my unit has depreciated so much, that trade in value is in $13,900. Dealership advises per NADA guide, not worth anymore. Apparently they could only sell unit for $20,000. I advised salesperson(whom sold us our last unit) that I am trying to buy new smaller unit, with little money out of pocket. The unit I was interested in buying from them was $18,000, discounted from $24,000. I was told I would need $8,000 out of pocket . I was told that since I was buying an already discounted unit, price for trade in probably couldn't chage much. I was told if I was purchasing $100,000 motor home, that would probably payoff my camper. I was told owner is a business man, and that rv deals are not the same as purchasing/trade in of cars. My payoff of my unit is $22,000. Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000. I overheard another salesperson tell a customer that you need to put 10% down. Do most dealerships require customers to have a cash down payment. So, at this point, my unit has lost $19,100 in 4 yrs. Suggestions?.
46 REPLIES 46

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
rjxj wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

The mere fact that you are willing to whip out a credit card to cover the $8K difference tells me you have much to learn about finances.

I missed that part.
That turns a bad idea into a REALLY REALLY BAD idea.

Does anyone actually read? The OP never said boo about a credit card. Yet several of you have gone down a path of needing to educate him on finance. Pay attention. Someone else replied whip out your credit card. He said 8000 out of pocket. Now unfortunately the OP most likely overpaid for this trailer. I never finance past 5 yrs on anything for this reason. Then you are less likely to end up upside down.

Does this count as boo?
"Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000."

I stand corrected. Still doesn't mean the op is seeking financial advice. The self righteousness on this forum is nauseating. I used to use my cabelas card for everything. Free money for hunting Gear is great.

Actually, if you read the original post, he kind of is asking for financial advice. And since he owes 22k on something worth less than 14k, AND he considered throwing another 8k worth of credit card debt to it, he can probably use some financial advice. Not self righteous at all, simply reality.

Like you, I use a credit card for almost all my purchases. I get a little extra protection and I use the points for additional purchases. The only difference is I pay it off each month. If I can't afford it, I don't but it. And I would never finance a "toy" unless I had the reserves to pay it off if something happened. Again, not self righteous I just choose to live within my means.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
rjxj wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

The mere fact that you are willing to whip out a credit card to cover the $8K difference tells me you have much to learn about finances.

I missed that part.

Does anyone actually read? The OP never said boo about a credit card. Yet several of you have gone down a path of needing to educate him on finance. Pay attention. Someone else replied whip out your credit card. He said 8000 out of pocket. Now unfortunately the OP most likely overpaid for this trailer. I never finance past 5 yrs on anything for this reason. Then you are less likely to end up upside down.

Does this count as boo?
"Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000."

I stand corrected. Still doesn't mean the op is seeking financial advice. The self righteousness on this forum is nauseating. I used to use my cabelas card for everything. Free money for hunting Gear is great.

I agree that he doesn't need financial advice, especially since he can even consider throwing $8,000 on his card. It is unfortunate and hate to see him hurt more. Keep it and be sure the dang thing dont LEAK or take a serious hit now. It wont matter if he holds it for the term of the loan which is probably 10 years. After it's paid off it will probably be worth $6,000 to $10,000 ???? But the max pain is to bail early.
I do know what pain is like as I bailed on a lease to go to a year newer truck. OUCH. ๐Ÿ™‚

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

I missed that part.

Does this count as boo?

If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

I missed that part.

Does this count as boo?

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

I missed that part.

If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

I missed that part.

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing to consider is people see a used camper setting on the lot for $xx, but they see new campers for only a couple grand more and they get a warranty on the camper and AC, roof, etc etc.
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing the OP should do is list it for sale on here, which they have.

If one is really crazy and just has to have a new trailer, the dealer will use list price or higher to make your down payment seem doable. Not a good idea, but it works. They can charge $30k for a unit that should sell for $20k and allow you $10k more for yours than it is actually worth. This is a horrible road to go down unless you are going to win the lottery next year. Even then, I wouldn't do it.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This can be as little as $10 per month up to and over the monthly payment..

This is excellent advice. However, if you can pay at least $100 more than the payment as your RV is depreciating that much a month if not more. A good rule of thumb is to figure that a $30,000 RV is worth $15,000 or so at the five year mark. So, if your payments are $200 a month and your depreciation is also $200+/- a month you are effectively paying $400+ a month plus insurance, registration, tires, batterys and maintenance. They are not cheap that is why I think if you can make it work with your existing unit, do so. Credit cards are not for RV purchases. Use them for emergencies or if you are sure you can make more money on the purchase than the interest costs you.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbpru wrote:
The dealerships usually have a yard full of new TTs which they can sell for a certain percentage of profit.

If they are going to invest the time and resources selling your used unit, they want about the same profit margin.

If you wish to keep that profit for yourself you do not have much choice but to sell it yourself.

Good luck

Even IF the OP could sell their trailer "out right" on their own they will NEVER recoup the depreciation loss..

They may close the gap a bit but over all they will still owe MORE than what they will be able to sell it for.

They will have to "cover" this loss some how in order to pay off the bank loan in order to be able to give the buyer the title (remember the bank actually holds the title until the loan is paid in full).

The OP was willing to use credit cards to cover the loss at the dealer to the tune of $8,000! At 21%-25% interest rates on a credit card that will really hurt and make an already bad situation even worse..

If the OP can afford the increased credit card bills then why not simply put that payment that they would be paying the credit cards towards the principle of the loan?

Yes, they will have to hold onto the trailer a bit longer but in the end they will be able to cover the loss in value enough to trade in or sell off.

It is all about spending your money in a wise fashion, paying higher credit card debts is not being wise at all.. You are simply paying a loan shark and have less money in the end to work with.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dealerships usually have a yard full of new TTs which they can sell for a certain percentage of profit.

If they are going to invest the time and resources selling your used unit, they want about the same profit margin.

If you wish to keep that profit for yourself you do not have much choice but to sell it yourself.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cubscout wrote:
Went to my local RV Dealer yesterday, to get trade in value of camper.mWe have purchased our last 2 campers from them. I have a 2011 Passport Grand Touring , power hitch, power jacks, power awning, dvd,cd, flat screen tv, outside speakers, attached grill,1 large slide, bunk beds, queen bed, U shaped dinette. This was a special unit back in 2011. Total price $33,000. Had to put down payment $8,000. Total financed $26,000. Now I am told that in 4 yrs, my unit has depreciated so much, that trade in value is in $13,900. Dealership advises per NADA guide, not worth anymore. Apparently they could only sell unit for $20,000. I advised salesperson(whom sold us our last unit) that I am trying to buy new smaller unit, with little money out of pocket. The unit I was interested in buying from them was $18,000, discounted from $24,000. I was told I would need $8,000 out of pocket . I was told that since I was buying an already discounted unit, price for trade in probably couldn't chage much. I was told if I was purchasing $100,000 motor home, that would probably payoff my camper. I was told owner is a business man, and that rv deals are not the same as purchasing/trade in of cars. My payoff of my unit is $22,000. Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000. I overheard another salesperson tell a customer that you need to put 10% down. Do most dealerships require customers to have a cash down payment. So, at this point, my unit has lost $19,100 in 4 yrs. Suggestions?.

Nothing like a "upper cut" of reality.

Sorry if your are upset but it IS the reality of "life" that a RV is a depreciating "asset". Unlike a sticks and bricks home that often grows in value over time RVs LOSE VALUE.

You are pretty much stuck with unit until you pay it down enough to sell or trade or pay it off completely.

To pay it down you MUST make EXTRA PAYMENTS TOWARDS THE PRINCIPLE AMOUNT BORROWED.

This can be as little as $10 per month up to and over the monthly payment..

Doing so reduces the interest owed and the principle balance owed.

Do a search for "amortization calculators" they are your friend.. Use them and learn..

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
"Value" and "worth"...Sometimes you may lose a little but if you end up with what you "want or "need" you still come out on top. It's your money and only you know what you want/need. JMHO.
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Try this line of thinking. Go to bank/credit union and find out how much they will loan on your unit. Let say just for the fun of it $16,000 is the number. The selling price will be about $20.000 ($20,000 times 20 percent down payment equals the 16 grand. How much over the dealer will sell it for is up to the dealer.
Just a thought.
Flaguy
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
He said he wanted a smaller one.

No duh! I can read. I was asking why he wants a smaller one! Going smaller in his case is going far more expenseive than keeping the bigger one. So, there must be another reason.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.