cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tree Pruning

charlesmcelhane
Explorer
Explorer
I need to do some tree pruning right infront of my garage to park my RV home. I am looking for suggestions which type of chainsaw should I buy?
26 REPLIES 26

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Chainsaws are really useful. Even a small one can cut down the most massive tree with time. For an rver that needs to trim a few branches at home.
If all you you have is to trim a tree at home get a corded electric. Cheap, no worries about battery life or longevity, and you can still use it to cut wood in the very few camps that let you collect wood.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
It all depends on what you are trying to prune. For smaller branches up to around 2-3", a manual pole pruner with a saw blade works great. For slightly larger branches, a cordless pole pruner with a chainsaw bar would work well. If the branches are much bigger than 5-6", a cordless chainsaw will handle the work easily, but branches that big can be difficult and dangerous to prune if you've never done it before. The idea that a cordless electric chainsaw is somehow safer than a gas saw is completely false. It's still a very dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
charlesmcelhaney12 wrote:
I need to do some tree pruning right infront of my garage to park my RV home. I am looking for suggestions which type of chainsaw should I buy?

There are a lot of warning signs embedded in this question. Maybe due to how vague it is, or maybe the nature of the question not lending confidence in abilities to handle a powersaw.

Presume you know a hand held chain saw is the right tool for the job, IE you can reach the branches that need pruned from the ground?
Or whether they beget the cost of a powersaw and not just a limb saw/lopper. And not a pole chainsaw?
You have enough need to buy one yet donโ€™t own one? Or would renting the right saw for a few hours do the trick?
All things to consider.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TenOC wrote:
If the tree is close to the garage, I suggest an electrical one. They are small and not much more danger than a hedge trimmer.

Roflmao. Not at the electric saw recommendation but at the latter part.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
I carry an electric pole saw to clear sites with low hanging limbs.

I switched to electric about five years ago. I have a homelite 13 inch saw and a long pole pruner with an extension. They work great, lightweight and you don't have to deal with oil and gas just bar and chain oil. I do carry them in my trailer when we go into the woods.

I got a battery powered one from Lowes a while back and itโ€™s the best for trimming small limbs. But l also have a Steil. Big one for larger jobs

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Bedlam
I carry an electric pole saw to clear sites with low hanging limbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If the tree is close to the garage, I suggest an electrical one. They are small and not much more danger than a hedge trimmer.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need to ask, that means you have no experience using a chainsaw. Be aware that a chainsaw is a very dangerous tool. Nor is it designed for "pruning". The worst case would be climbing on a ladder to prune a tree.

Use a manual saw as mentioned or get a landscaper to do the pruning.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Have you used chainsaws before? A simple hand saw would work great if the branches aren't too thick and there aren't that many of them.

"type"? Do you mean make and model? Have you looked at "pole pruning saws" if you are just doing some branches?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
charlesmcelhaney12 wrote:

I have never had good luck with gas chain saw unless I use it often. Never was one of mine I could not make run, but often took longer than I used it. I still have a couple, that I have cleaned fuel system, put in new plug, and stored on shelf. For the few branches I need to cut every year, a plug-in saw works great. Yesterday, cut up a few fallen branches with my bow saw. If I was shopping now, I would look real hard at cordless