cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Magazine

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the late 60's early 70's there was a magazine dedicated solely to trucks and pickup campers. It was a smaller size than a regular magazine but a little larger than a Readers Digest. Some time in the early 70's I think, Trailer Life bought them out and was supposed to incorporate their articles into their magazine. Does any one remember the exact name of that magazine and when TL took over the publication??
8 REPLIES 8

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
fishing2 wrote:
Camper Coachman and Motorhome Sportsman Magazine was a camper magazine in the 60s that had mostly truck campers in it. There is some on ebay now.
Happy camping
Dennis

That is the magazine I was remembering.....I read every word in that magazine even the page numbers....I hated when Art Roush bought it and incorporated it into Trailer Life....

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Bob,
I don't remember any mag of that specific description. I do remember, "Pickup, Van, and 4 Wheel Drive" magazine. It is a stratum in the Burgess Shale of truck magazines from that era. I liked it better than 4 Wheeler or Off Road magazines. It was all about the writing and the interesting off-road places they went.
Some of us recovering off-roaders bought every single magazine about 4WD that we could and wound up shedding stacks of them upon each move of the household. My wife tells me that our relationship was kindled while I was camped out reading all the 4WD magazines on the newsstand at Lucky Market in Long Beach and she was there shopping with her mother. June, 1967. Recently I sold my Jeep CJ8 crawler and have not had any magazine subscriptions for years....except the Narrow Gauge and Short line Gazette. No reason to have paper magazines anyway.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

fishing2
Explorer
Explorer
Camper Coachman and Motorhome Sportsman Magazine was a camper magazine in the 60s that had mostly truck campers in it. There is some on ebay now.
Happy camping
Dennis
2001 Dodge 3500 CTD,1987 34ft Terry Manor and 1990 Lance TC
Ham Radio N9LWE
US Navy veteran VA-65 1965-1969 USS Forrestal and USS Kitty Hawk

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I remember a magazine that featured a lot about campers, but it isn't the one you are talking about. It was called Motorhome Life, Camper and Coachman. Back in the 70's.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad subscribed to Trailer Life back from its inception (early to mid 70's I recall.) i kinda' recall the editor (and founder?) was a guy named Art Rousch. I wish I still had those old hard copy magazines... they would be fun to peruse now.

I do not recall a TL associated published magazine related to truck campers, but we were TT people back then.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Truck Camper Magazine

Not close to being it. ๐Ÿ™‚ That TCM started just a few years ago as in 5 years or so.

I'd look at Goodwill online, Ebay, and Amazon. They each occasionally have old magazines.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I used to read my parents' Trailer Life magazine way back then. Searched online just now, even in articles about the history of Trailer Life, and have not yet found your answer.

However, E-bay has a lot of cool pictures and copies of magazine ads for truck campers from those days. link
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper Magazine
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel