cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper + Towing

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some help understanding my options since I don't math so good... I don't really understand the payload + tow+ hitch extension setups and which campers would be best for my need.

I own a 2016 f250 6.7 srw w/6.5' bed, 3.31 gears, No camper package

What are my best options for a Slide-in camper for my truck but it's required that I can tow my 16' car trailer and heavily modified Jeep at about 6500lbs. I'm always towing in the mountains so tow performance and safety is a big factor. Not in a rush to get anything but curious about what my truck can handle. I already plan on adding airbags for general towing comfort.

It would be awesome to have a camper with atleast 1 slide out to have floor room for 2 dogs but with weight restrictions may prevent a slide out. I know a dully with 8' bed would help but simply won't be a option since I already have a truck. Worst case, I'll continue to tent camp (which I still enjoy) if it's not worth the investment. Thanks in advance
27 REPLIES 27

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Ziggy81 wrote:
Let's add another piece to the puzzle... What auxiliary tanks if any are you guys running along with your TC. Doing a quick search I see Titan sells a 50 gallon replacement tank or a 30 gallon spare tire location tank. Best bang for buck would be a tank/toolbox combo but that's mute with a TC installed.

I would be cautious in adding additional items that have exceptional weight when you are looking at your goals. One thing that you haven't asked or addressed is the ability to operate the vehicle, camper and trailer where it will feel comfortable with steering wheel in your hands, the seat under you posterior in going around curves, passing vehicles and off camber roads. There are many here that have expressed what a world of difference in switching to a better designed/equipped truck is over the previous truck they tried to make work with shoe horned add ons.

Oh, don't forget you will need to slow down and stop too.

Welcome to the Forum!

b

I've stated before that everything I would want to do would need to be safely operational with my truck. I still need to weigh my rig and trailer but I think I'll be good with a reasonable sized TC and adding a auxiliary fuel or replacement tanks makes sense to me to increase my distance. Starting, stopping, and handling are all parts of the equation of choosing the right tc and reading the advice here. If all of those wasn't concerns I would have e cluelessly would have strolled into a relationship dealer.. . My original statement still stands that I'll just continue tent camping if something doesn't work out. Thanks for the welcome, learning a lot here.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ziggy81 wrote:
Let's add another piece to the puzzle... What auxiliary tanks if any are you guys running along with your TC. Doing a quick search I see Titan sells a 50 gallon replacement tank or a 30 gallon spare tire location tank. Best bang for buck would be a tank/toolbox combo but that's mute with a TC installed.

I would be cautious in adding additional items that have exceptional weight when you are looking at your goals. One thing that you haven't asked or addressed is the ability to operate the vehicle, camper and trailer where it will feel comfortable with steering wheel in your hands, the seat under you posterior in going around curves, passing vehicles and off camber roads. There are many here that have expressed what a world of difference in switching to a better designed/equipped truck is over the previous truck they tried to make work with shoe horned add ons.

Oh, don't forget you will need to slow down and stop too.

Welcome to the Forum!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Ziggy81 wrote:

I have a Transfer Flow 46-gallon replacement tank.

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would first get the camper on the truck and then weigh front and rear axles with particular attention to the trucks rear axle..... and make a short run to see if any suspension/tire/wheel mods are needed...if any.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer
I think I need to go look at some of these campers. I've actually never even been in a TC. If I go look at some 2017 options I a year from now I can buy it used if I find a floor plan I like. I never knew how much fit into these things. I'm just surprised I don't see the same setup I'm looking to do more often in the 4x4 community.

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
With the truck you have, your gross combined rating should be around 23~24K and will not be your limiting factor. What will be your limiting factor is going to be your rear axle weight rating(or tires actually). The setup in my signature has a rear axle weight without a trailer of around 7800#~7900# which was fine with LT285/75R17 DuraGrapplers but once I hooked up my trailer and the associated hardware it's ~9000# (or more depending how I set everything up) thus the 19.5s. So, if you want a slide you will probably want to go to 19.5s.

As many have said already, many short bed truck campers are going to have a significant overhang and will require a weight distributing hitch to minimize the amount of additional weight getting transferred to the rear axle. A quick and dirty way to determine how much weight a conventional hitch will add to the rear axle (in addition to the ball/hitch weight itself) is to multiply the hitch/ball weight by the distance from the ball to the rear axle divided by the wheelbase of the truck. With a weight distributing hitch you can dial this additional weight above the base ball/hitch weight away.

Or just go to this persons web-site and enter in the numbers...they also have a nifty module for estimating axle weights for the truck camper only scenario... http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm http://www.visualsc.com/tc_calc.htm I think it's put together by one of our fellow member's...haven't had the time to connect the dots though.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III

About the "redneck" option, I think you could get a Jeep and an 8' camper on about a 24' trailer deck.

I had access to a 23' GN trailer including the dove tail and could easily have fit my 8'6" camper and Jeep Scrambler on the trailer. Never tried it, but we measured and figure we could have carried a CJ5 and my Scrambler.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah I bet you guys right, that new diesel will probably be fine with the tall gears.
I've had so many gas trucks sometimes I forget!

About the "redneck" option, I think you could get a Jeep and an 8' camper on about a 24' trailer deck.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck will exceed your expectations while carrying a camper and towing your Jeep. In addition to
Air Bags, I would install a Helwig Big Wig rear Sway-Bar.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Wolf Creek 850 on an F-250 and I tow about 8000lbs. The only suspension mods to the truck are airbags and a Big Wig sway bar. I'm using a Torklift hitch and extension with a WD hitch on the trailer. I'm well over my GVWR, but not my axle ratings or tire ratings. I've towed all over the place, through the mountains, and it works just fine, even with a gas engine (V-10) and 4.30 gears).

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer
Oldtymeflyr wrote:
We have a 2006 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1, Allison 6 speed. The tires (Michelin 285/70/17) that we currently have converts the axle ratio to approximately 3.42. We do have air bags and use an equalizer hitch.

Our camper is an Outfitter Apex 8 and weighs about 3200# loaded for a trip.

We tow an H&H 20 foot car hauler that weighs empty about 3900# and has a GVW of approximately #9800 lbs. Our usual loaded weight is about #8500 lbs loaded.

I keep up with traffic going up Vail Pass. Generally staying in the right lane and passing some slow traffic when I need too. The Allison will be in second to fourth gear depending on conditions.

I have had no troubles with the truck. The truck is in good condition.

Your Ford will can do the same. I doubt if you need any gear change or 19.5 wheels/tires.

Good Luck.

Good to know someone very similar to what I want to haul is able to do so running vail pass.

Ziggy81
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Ziggy81 wrote:
...off reading ...

??

Off roading, 4 wheeling, etc

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1, Allison 6 speed. The tires (Michelin 285/70/17) that we currently have converts the axle ratio to approximately 3.42. We do have air bags and use an equalizer hitch.

Our camper is an Outfitter Apex 8 and weighs about 3200# loaded for a trip.

We tow an H&H 20 foot car hauler that weighs empty about 3900# and has a GVW of approximately #9800 lbs. Our usual loaded weight is about #8500 lbs loaded.

I keep up with traffic going up Vail Pass. Generally staying in the right lane and passing some slow traffic when I need too. The Allison will be in second to fourth gear depending on conditions.

I have had no troubles with the truck. The truck is in good condition.

Your Ford will can do the same. I doubt if you need any gear change or 19.5 wheels/tires.

Good Luck.