cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck campers -- awesome, right for a family of 4?

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon, everyone. So we had a popup for 2 years and are on our second season of our 40ft 5th wheel. She's loaded -- bath and a half, 50Amp, two A/Cs, outdoor kitchen. Has it all. Also has too much of a good thing. 6 fluid tanks, lots of time to empty/clean two black tanks, lots of time to clean 40 feet of camper and roof, so much interior storage we have to pad with paper towels, towels, etc. so stuff doesn't shift. Kids are 10 and 12. We are weekend warriors that score 8-10 trips per year for 4 days, on average, per trip. We also found that we spend very little time in the camper except to sleep. We go places we want to explore...and even on rainy weekends we find things to do. I'm just sort'a tired of dealing with 40 feet of camper, having a difficult time shoe-horning myself into some spots at campgrounds, etc.

I find truck campers so incredibly cool. The newer multi-slide ones are particularly interesting -- especially those with a dry bath. I live with 3 girls (including wife) so I have to pay attention to what will keep them happy.

Part of the deal will be to get a new truck -- likely a 2014 Diesel DRW. Seems like the going rate for payload in these trucks with a 14K GVWR and a 9600 lb GRAWR is roughly 5,300 lbs. I'd have to drop to a gasser and have less options to bump that up. Some of the biggest truck campers will certainly push the limits of these numbers.

We will still visit commercial campgrounds. But I'd like to do some boondocking, plan some multi-week or month-long trips to explore the big national parks, etc. I don't have much interest in getting a Class C -- but some have suggested that would be the way to go. I don't have anything to tow (boat, Sea Doos, etc.) right now...but I like having the option to put something out back should that ever materialize.

I'm curious if others have stuffed a family of 4 into a truck camper and how successful that has been. Coming out of a 40-foot fiver will be a bit of a shock for everyone. Looking at couch models of Lance, Host, Chalet, and Eagle Cap. I know the biggest truck campers will limit my ability to do any real off-roading...but there are plenty of options off the beaten path that won't require us to carry a small/lightweight shell to get there.

Can someone give me an idea of what kind of fuel mileage I can expect out of a late model DRW with 5,000 lbs of camper sitting on its back?

All options are on the table for us right now. Entertaining a smaller fiver, possibly a 28-foot air stream, a truck camper, etc. My current truck and camper will keep us camping this season if nothing else solidifies...so I have time to research. Just looking for some opinions. Unforutunatley central NC isn't a big area with lots of dealers carrying truck campers -- so seeing them first-hand will be challenging...and I worry about dealer/repair support.

Thanks in advance,

DNC
39 REPLIES 39

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
So we just picked up an Arctic Fox 811 for our short bed F350 Diesel. My wife and I have 4 boys. So, having 6 of us in the camper will be a little crowded, but most of the time will be spent outside enjoying our various destinations! Youngest will sleep on the drop down bunk above the dinette. Two kids sleep on the dinette bed and the 16 yr old at 6'2" will sleep on the floor.
2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel, Firestone Airbags, On-Board Air compressor
2014 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift Tie-downs, Torklift fast guns

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've had 4 in ours. I think it depends on how much time you plan to stay in the camper. If you plan to primarily be outside, then it is fine. If you plan to have personal space, and friends along, it's going to be really tight. If your kids are like mine, the window of traveling much with them is closing soon except to kid events. They start becoming more involved with other nonfamily activities when they get to high school.

I found a Class A ideal for traveling with friends through early high school. I don't think a small Class C is much better than a TC once setup for sleeping, but can have more sleeping possibilities. With really large numbers of kids, their Mom and I slept in a tent outside.

Another thought is tent + TC or small trailer + TC or small toy hauler + TC. That would give you some options other than having a massive TC. A concern with a tent is that not all campgrounds allow them which can be limiting.

If you do go TC pay attention to the width and length of dinettes and couches. The size varies a lot.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking at the comparison between the TC and small Class C (24 ft and under):

TC - fitting 4 people while driving will need a quad cab which puts more space in the cab area that isn't used during the camping
C - the space to fit 4 while driving will be usable space while camping

TC - if you need 4x4, this is your best; a C won't be comparable

TC - you can leave the TC set up at camp and take the truck out for runs, etc. If you want to go to town and the others want to stay at camp, they will have their gear
C - you can easily take the C out for runs and leave the minimal stuff at the campsite. If you want to go to town and the others want to stay at camp, you will have their gear

TC - may be able to tow a boat also (dependent upon truck size, TC size, boat size, etc.)
C - may be able to tow a boat also (dependent upon C size, boat size, etc.)

In your case, a TC may be the better choice. You can do more off-roading (boondocking), can drive into town while family stays behind with camper and gear. As for fitting a family of 4 - we did it when I was a kid with a family of 5 and 2-4 dogs at any given time (at least 1/2 of which were large dogs). We never had an issue with space. But in those days, space wasn't as big of a concern as it is nowadays - we shared because that's what you did.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
endalby wrote:
I also have two daughters (ages 6 and 9) and have had the TC for 5 years now. We spend the majority of our time outside and use it to sleep/cook in. During inclement WX we do all pile in there at times and it is crowded but nothing you can't overcome. Pull out a game, put on movie, or read a book to pass the time. Traveling with 3 women the one item I had to get was the dry bath; a wet bath wasn't even an option for me if the DW was going to let me spend the $.

Right now my sleeping arrangements are great. One kid in the bunk above the dinette and the other on the dinette bed (or the tent on the back). But my oldest is soon going to outgrow the bunk so I have to start identifying other arrangements. DW wasn't thrilled when I said throw her in a tent outside.

As for the big camper going off road use common sense. Do I put it in 4WD low and go rock crawling or ford deep rivers, no; but going down forest service roads, gravel, etc. is not an issue (drive for the conditions). The clearance is what usually gives me the most trouble (read - carry a bow saw).

I have a heavy TC on a F350 DRW DSL and average 11.9 and when towing it drops to around 9. My only advice is spring for a nice awning so when the 3 women are in the camper during the rain (or when everyone is mad at you for making them hike 7 miles to see a "dry" waterfall) you can have cold one outside under the awning alone.

Now this is a man who understands camping with women! ๐Ÿ™‚

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Host

More pics..

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/camper_everest_mp_copy.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Women, in general, need more "stuff". I'll be surprised if 3 girls can share a camper.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Host make some of the nicer truck campers from what I see onlin.. Plus with what your looking for with the two children...

Walk through bath on the manmouth and everest..

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/campers.html

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/campers.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

endalby
Explorer
Explorer
I also have two daughters (ages 6 and 9) and have had the TC for 5 years now. We spend the majority of our time outside and use it to sleep/cook in. During inclement WX we do all pile in there at times and it is crowded but nothing you can't overcome. Pull out a game, put on movie, or read a book to pass the time. Traveling with 3 women the one item I had to get was the dry bath; a wet bath wasn't even an option for me if the DW was going to let me spend the $.

Right now my sleeping arrangements are great. One kid in the bunk above the dinette and the other on the dinette bed (or the tent on the back). But my oldest is soon going to outgrow the bunk so I have to start identifying other arrangements. DW wasn't thrilled when I said throw her in a tent outside.

As for the big camper going off road use common sense. Do I put it in 4WD low and go rock crawling or ford deep rivers, no; but going down forest service roads, gravel, etc. is not an issue (drive for the conditions). The clearance is what usually gives me the most trouble (read - carry a bow saw).

I have a heavy TC on a F350 DRW DSL and average 11.9 and when towing it drops to around 9. My only advice is spring for a nice awning so when the 3 women are in the camper during the rain (or when everyone is mad at you for making them hike 7 miles to see a "dry" waterfall) you can have cold one outside under the awning alone.
08 F350, DRW, 4WD, DSL
07 Lance 1131
1 wife, two kids, and a dog

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I came from a 35' double slide 5th wheel to a non-slide truck camper. There's only 3 of us but so far we are glad we made the change.

I was always a fan of more remote camping, boondocking, smaller parks off the beaten patch etc. whereas my wife and daughter liked the resorts. Slowly they've come around to my way of thinking I guess. We now use the camper more for exploring the area and spend less time in the actual campground.

We do miss the 5th sometimes when it's raining or something but even then we just try to adapt. For us it's made the entire experience much simpler and less stressful.

Most of our friends think we're insane though lol
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome.

You sound like the perfect candidates for a TC.
We have an AirStream and a TC.
We will use the TC 10-12 trips plus a few day trips this year.

We will use the AS for 1 week.

Guess which one we prefer?

The ease of use of a TC is just awesome...you will love it!

Good luck...and ask away,
Bill

Edit; fuel mileage-you will probably do a little bit better with TC vs 5er...but nobody plays this game to get great mpg.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson