cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zep or Wax on new TT

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to start a war here but really wanting to solicit some feedback on using a wax vs Zep on a brand new TT.

It looks like there has been some great and very successful Zep stories. I've searched a lot of different forums and through them, haven't been able to find anything truly negative.

You have the purists that would never use a house hold floor product or for that fact, any thing not designed specifically for fiberglass or RV use on their TT/MH. Prior to reading the Zep stories, I'd say I definitely was in this bucket and would say it was ludicrous to go through but I'm a firm believer of thinking outside the box and doing things differently; especially if it can better the outcome of a given solution. Many problems/situations are solved this way in which we use unconventional methods to address different solutions. I see this Zep method as possibly falling in this bucket ๐Ÿ™‚

Again, I'm definitely a purist when it comes to wax and my automobiles but I see a TT as different for a couple reasons. First, it's all fiberglass with some sort of gel coat. Car's have paint along with clear coat which require protection and restoration that a good wax and polish will provide. An automobile's paint needs to "breath". UV rays affect an automobiles paint from the time the vehicle comes off the assembly line. Fiberglass and gel coats are very different so I'm not a firm believer they must be treated exactly the same however similar considerations definitely exist (i.e. UV protection).

The Zep process is attractive to me for a number of reasons...

1.) It appears to create a "sealant" over the gel coat protecting it from road abrasions, bugs, and dirt. It also appears to virtually eliminate water spots. Wax has some of these characteristics as well but I wouldn't classify it as the same sealant like one would get from Zep. I see Zep creating almost a hard like polymer seal over the gel coat (perhaps I'm wrong in stating this).

2.) Zep is easy to put on and you don't have to worry about shade or the hot sun impacting application like you would with wax. Any good wax will indicate not applying it in direct sun. I unfortunately don't have a big enough shaded spot to park the TT in all day to spend waxing it. Wax will require some elbow grease in both application and removal. Seeing how my TT is brand new, I won't have to do the BFK process. Mostly it'll be a quick Dawn washing then moving directly to the Zep process after making sure the surface is clean and free of anything (bugs, tar, etc).

3.) I've read, and it appears that through normal maintenance, applying another coat of Zep once a year is all that is required to maintain Zep. A purist on waxing would probably agree with me that a good yearly wax cleaner followed by a thorough waxing is best when using any sort of wax. This doesn't include the other maintenance waxing one may do throughout the year.

4.) Purists will indicate Zep has zero UV protection. A key item which I would certainly side with them on. To combat this, my plan would to apply 303 every couple of months or so on top of Zep to provide the UV protection.

My TT is going to be sitting outside under the intense sun of Denver, CO. I do plan on covering it during the winter months but for the most part it will be subject to the sun.

Any comments would certainly be welcomed. I'm sure there have been many successes of both applications so mostly I'd like to see if my head is in the right place with both and to see what those think about Zep application on a new TT. Most the Zep stories I've found surround restoration vs new.
28 REPLIES 28

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
Zep has not been marketed for reviving old neglected fiberglass as long as a product called PoliGlow, which is the same******in a different bottle. As Weldon has stated it will eventually fail and start to peel and/or turn yellow. The only way to remove it is either heavy sanding or scrubbing or with a nasty chemical remover that Poliglow sells for just that reason.

Try Googleing Poliglow instead of Zep and see the horror stories. If your ride is so far gone that red fiberglass looks pink/orange the stuff will make it look pretty good but for something I want to keep there is no way I would use it.

I didn't even go into the removal process for the floor finishes. Heavy abrasive brush on a floor machine, along with an alkaline (caustic) floor stripper. Good times. Spent years of my youth doing just such a thing twice a year at the local grocery store I worked at.

You can, however, apply new finish over old with varying degrees of results. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Uually
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of Protectall , that all I ever use

westend
Explorer
Explorer
cfendya wrote:
Great feedback and I definitely appreciate all the responses!

It sounds like the general consensus on a new TT is to go the wax route and I'll definitely do so. My plan now is to use Zymol which I've grown accustomed to on my automobiles. It's a cleaner wax and a quick google search shows it popular among the boat crew so it should work great on the TT.

Thanks again for all the input!!
Zymol will certainly give some protection and should make a new trailer shine like a penny. It is, however, mostly Carnauba wax and there are more durable waxes out there. I'd suggest you use a synthetic wax, maybe something like Meguiars Flagship.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I only 303 twice a year, maybe 3x. But I live in a more norther state so UV intensity is lower than most of the country.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Awww, rats! on the 303. Something else to put on the calendar....I need a bigger calendar. But, considering we don't have any desire to have to replace decals a few years down the road, at least the one on the rear will get the 303.

Even with our trailer being under cover 24/7, the rear decal on our '07 ROO was looking pretty tired from the sun hitting it all day and the edges were brittle. A call to FR in Millersburg took care of the problem with a new one sent out...price was about $50 including shipping. Glad it wasn't lots of swirls and lettering, ugh!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
ZEP, apply with a mop and smooth with a rag wetted in it. Keeps real well.

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
It's too bad the horror stories are not more prevalent and easy to find. The only ones I found were those of individuals which were purists flaming folks that used it and at that, they were simply quotes which could've been made up.

Really glad I asked prior to going down the Zep path and grateful for all the honesty!!

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Zep has not been marketed for reviving old neglected fiberglass as long as a product called PoliGlow, which is the same******in a different bottle. As Weldon has stated it will eventually fail and start to peel and/or turn yellow. The only way to remove it is either heavy sanding or scrubbing or with a nasty chemical remover that Poliglow sells for just that reason.

Try Googleing Poliglow instead of Zep and see the horror stories. If your ride is so far gone that red fiberglass looks pink/orange the stuff will make it look pretty good but for something I want to keep there is no way I would use it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also need to know that not only do cars have clear coat on them. so does your fiberglass RV. It has a layer of clear coat over the gelcoat.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Zep process and after a while it started to peel. I tried to remove as much as possible last year and did get most off but not all. Started applying Nufinish the other day and I still see remnants of the old Zep. Just not for me.

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
gunner65 wrote:
Great another project to the list. Thanks for that....Seriously looks like a promising outcome to my dull 2006 KZ 2809.

If you're looking at the Zep process, many have had huge success with it! Good luck with your new project ๐Ÿ˜‰

My new TT shows up Fri so my weekend will be putting a good coat of wax all over it!!

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
Great another project to the list. Thanks for that....Seriously looks like a promising outcome to my dull 2006 KZ 2809.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the newer non-wax products meant for RV's and cars are as simple as "trigger spray on, wipe off excess." With the caveat being it should be done in the shade.

The Maguiars Ultimate Quick Wax I used on my black truck is doing very, very well so far. The Thetford RV Protectant I applied in the sun is showing wipe marks (via dust collection), but still beads pretty well.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
Dadmomh - You bring up an excellent point about the warranty. If nothing else, this would be reason enough not to do it with a new TT. Perhaps after and in the circumstances which others have used it but as it stands, I'm going the wax route ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just read the back of my 303 bottle and it states "reapply every 3-5 weeks for maximum UV protection".