cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck overheating towing on long steep grades.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I came out of Death Valley to Beatty which is long and steep, but not that bad, but the transmission temp got up to 230 for most of the trip. I stopped part of the way up and let it cool before going on. This has happened a few time in the past, but I am looking to add a additional cooler if for nothing else make me more comfortable. The truck is a 2003 Dodge Cummins with less than 160,000 on it, and runs great. I would like to find an add on cooler that would not cost a mint and be an easy application to take care of this in the future. I have had it 15 years and other than this it has been a great truck. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room with coolers attached to the radiator now. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Mike.
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
39 REPLIES 39

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I really need to have mine boiled out as well. After all that time, it's just good maint.

Certainly a good idea maintenance wise, but you don’t need to worry about overheating your transmission... :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
mike-uswest wrote:
Thanks for the answers. It was about 75 out, and the engine temp. was a little over 200. I was doing 35mph with overdrive off, so I believe that is 3rd gear. My main worry is if I get in a climb this summer at 100 degrees I don't want things coming apart. Everything looks good and clean, but the first cooler that I think is for the transmission in front of the radiator has several areas where the fins are flattened down where something has come through the grill and smacked it. I know of no way to bend them back out. I will run it by the transmission shop and have them look at it. Thanks again.

Mike

I would use a small pick and pull the fins back up. It always looks like more work than it actually is. The fins are soft and straighten out easily. You could also use a fin comb, but I really don't think they are any better than a small pick and a few minutes time. It's definitely a lot cheaper than paying shop rates to straighten the fins.
Fin comb
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I really need to have mine boiled out as well. After all that time, it's just good maint.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-uswest wrote:
Thanks for the answers. It was about 75 out, and the engine temp. was a little over 200. I was doing 35mph with overdrive off, so I believe that is 3rd gear. My main worry is if I get in a climb this summer at 100 degrees I don't want things coming apart. Everything looks good and clean, but the first cooler that I think is for the transmission in front of the radiator has several areas where the fins are flattened down where something has come through the grill and smacked it. I know of no way to bend them back out. I will run it by the transmission shop and have them look at it. Thanks again.

Mike

If you were doing 35 you were unlocked in 2nd gear!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
04 doesn't have a catch bottle. (That's how Dodge fixed the radiator build up problem)

True but it may be worth taking out the radiator and have it cleaned inside and out.

I assume a 04 has a separate trans cooler like a 2nd gen? If so make sure it’s nice and clean.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
04 doesn't have a catch bottle. (That's how Dodge fixed the radiator build up problem)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
01 CTD RAM has the famous catch bottle that allows oil fumes be drawn to the front side of the radiator and over time with dirt clog the radiator. I pulled mine and cleaned along with relocating a new catch bottle inside drivers side front bumper. Runs nice and cool now.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That series of CTD trucks had a known defect that made those symptoms occur. At the rear bottom of the radiator "fuzz' will build up and clog the fins. Clean out the fuzz on a regular basis. It happened on my 2001 CTD at 75,000 miles. After that I drove it for another 250,000 with a mishap.
Dodge told me I needed both a radiator and transmission ($3,000). I laughed and searched the CTD forums.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even though the OP appears to have zero issues, his quest for more cooling and simple application, consider a deep pan with fins on it.
Otherwise I’m sure there are other better coolers, maybe. You have a truck that just pulled your trailer out of Death Valley with no issues. Because it already has good cooling. It a HD diesel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So what was overheating?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
This is why some manufacturers stop putting in gauges that indicate actual temperatures.

My 15 RAM shows actual trans temp and water temp.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This is why some manufacturers stop putting in gauges that indicate actual temperatures.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problems and found debris crammed between the coolers. If you have a 160K on it, I am sure your not getting optimum flow through the coolers if they have never been cleaned out.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you are towing in an appropriate gear, people need to realize getting into DV is not that easy. All roads including the road from Beatty, contrary to some opinions is steep and windy. That means lower gears. I have pulled over plenty of times hauling a trailer with my Ford 7.3 to let the engine cool off and also to keep the brakes cool heading to Death Valley. I rarely remember doing that anywhere else.