cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck starts on its own

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night was watching tv heard my truck start . Went into my garage truck was running all lights on dashboard was flashing, Has anyone else had this to happen? The key was off
2019 Duramax. 2500 HD 80 thousand miles

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
66 REPLIES 66

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Probably neighbors have remote start for their vehicles.

Like house keys, one key fits many houses....Many devises use the same frequency.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IDK if Iโ€™d consider it amazingโ€ฆ.
Just sold a guy a truck canopy a couple days ago.
I think he wanted me to clamp it down for himโ€ฆ. Uhhh no.
Well as he was rolling around (literally) in the truck bed, he was a little too portly to move around well inside the back of a truck, he hit the remote in his pocket about 27 times before he rolled onto his back and removed the keys from his pocket.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
rhagfo wrote:
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Busdriver wrote:
Talked to my service writer, he said there is no way to disable auto start on a 2019, said that feature was started 2022. Said probably a wifi signal close to my house

I don't think a remote start will work if the vehicle is unlocked. I think you mentioned its parked in the garage. So, if you leave it unlocked, it should not remote start?...

Best solution is to remove the key fob from your pocket once in the house. I just this afternoon triggered a remote start of our Ram while carrying a tool bag next to the pocket with the fob in it.
I asked before as to what is the sequence on your GM fob to trigger a remote start. On our Ram it is lock doors then press the start button twice. That is what carrying the tool bag next to my pocket with the fob in it.

Our 2014 GMC is lock, then hold start for 3-4 seconds. Seems less likely to happen in a pocket.

Not as hard as you think, have you ever set of the alarm with the key fob in your pocket?

the panic alarm is 1 button 1 push, designed to be easy to actavate for that reason. the remote starts are usaly combanations of pushes, mine is one push if the lock button followed by two pushes of the start button with in a time period. if you can replacate that in your pocket by a tool bag bouncing thats amazing
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
PastorCharlie wrote:
There have been cases where TV remotes opened garage doors.

Garage door openers, ah yeh.

When my barn extension was being built, I was inside the barn cleaning up. There are 3 main front facing overhead doors. One large door was open to let light and air inside, the other 2 doors closed. One of the electricians drives in for work to park his truck for the day. As he drives past the front of the barn, I see he gets a phone call on his cell phone. He answers it, starts talking and one of the overhead doors popped up. Not good, told the overhead door guy, he reprogramed all 3 of the controllers and the remotes. So far no more issues.

Now to the house garage, in the kitchen we have a TV set on a swing bracket. We leave the house in the car, press the overhead door down remote, the door closes like is should. We come home, open the garage door with the remote, come inside and the TV in the kitchen is on????

After it did it several times, we figured out it was not us forgetting to turn the TV off. Have no idea if it was tripped on when we left or when we came home. Now we unplug that TV set every time we go out camping so it is not on for days, weeks at a time.

Remote controls and noise interference can make bad things happen. If your truck started itself inside your house garage tripped by some random signal, that is a major issue in a house.

Busdriver, please report back if this gets resolved.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Busdriver wrote:
Talked to my service writer, he said there is no way to disable auto start on a 2019, said that feature was started 2022. Said probably a wifi signal close to my house

I don't think a remote start will work if the vehicle is unlocked. I think you mentioned its parked in the garage. So, if you leave it unlocked, it should not remote start?...

Best solution is to remove the key fob from your pocket once in the house. I just this afternoon triggered a remote start of our Ram while carrying a tool bag next to the pocket with the fob in it.
I asked before as to what is the sequence on your GM fob to trigger a remote start. On our Ram it is lock doors then press the start button twice. That is what carrying the tool bag next to my pocket with the fob in it.

Our 2014 GMC is lock, then hold start for 3-4 seconds. Seems less likely to happen in a pocket.

Not as hard as you think, have you ever set of the alarm with the key fob in your pocket?

I meant the hold versus press 2x is less likely. Actually no, Iโ€™ve never set it off since Iโ€™m kind of OCD about laying fob button-side in toward the key before pocketing it.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Busdriver wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Busdriver wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
Busdriver wrote:

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busdriver wrote:

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Busdriver wrote:

If that's true then I'd put in a battery disconnect switch. No battery, no start.

While a disconnect would be an option, lots to consider, such as presets and relearning the various idle settings. Not something you'd want to do all the time.

Jerry

Few decades back I was helping a friend change jobs. Noticed a short pair of wires with a 9 V battery on 1 end, and a male lighter plug on the other. He said it would hold the presets while he serviced battery terminals. Might expand on that idea.
Guess I'm lucky. Leave battery disconnected for a month, only need to reset the clock.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes wrote:
Busdriver wrote:

If that's true then I'd put in a battery disconnect switch. No battery, no start.

While a disconnect would be an option, lots to consider, such as presets and relearning the various idle settings. Not something you'd want to do all the time.

Jerry

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busdriver wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d be a little suspect of that explanation however I have had a key fob get picked up by a different car than mine in a parking lot before.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well OP (Busdriver) hasnโ€™t posted back since first post, so time to quit guessing until they do.