cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT without wardrobe cabinets next to master bed

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about a new RV and are considering going back to a TT.

One of the biggest issues we're having is finding a model that doesn't have cabinets on either side of the master bed.

My wife is claustrophobic. She has struggled with the floor to ceiling cabinets next to the bed since we've owned our FW.

A lot of nights she sleeps on the fold out sofa.

Something with bunks would be a plus. The kids are sleeping in a tent more often so bunks aren't mandatory but would be nice for colder weather.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.
13 REPLIES 13

Steamguy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I can help.
My wife is claustrophobic, and she does best with a "walk-around" bed. She has told me that as long as she can see an 'escape route' on her side of the bed, she's okay. The last three trailers we've owned, we've made sure that she can see her way out to the main living area from the bedroom while lying down.

Do your looking based on that, then only show her what fits the above. Start with this, only then show her anything that doesn't marginally fit.

Different people react differently, because they see things differently. For instance, we've been in a couple 5th wheels, and she couldn't get out fast enough.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JustLabs wrote:
captnjack wrote:

Can't help but to wonder if he could just remove the cabinets himself (or pay someone local who will work at a reasonable rate).

I've considered this in the past. I'm either left with storing the cabinets until I want to sell or dumping them and hoping the next owner doesn't care about the missing cabinets.

Don't worry about the next owner. Do what makes your wife happy.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I would take a look at Northwoodmfg. They are most likely to omit the closets for you. They MAY be able to install overhead cabinets for storage instead. I would be sure to have a big bathroom closet if you choose to omit wardrobes or have a closet slide on your side of the bed.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
How about switching how you sleep? Put your heads on the "outside" end of the bed with your feet in the end between the cabinet/closets. That solves her claustrophobic feeling, but your pillows may fall off!

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has them but they are shorter, like for for shirts and folded hanging pants. They do not extend all the way down and provide for a "open feeling". It leaves room for a light, cell phone, books, clock, etc next to the bed.

I do not like enclosed feeling either! ......or you can simply spin around and put your feet in that enclosed area !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sunny Brook 273 with twin beds,no wardrobe cabinets. I t was special ordered 5yrs ago when Winnie took over.We are not clausdafobic in the bed room. Neather of us is skinny.so the twin bed give us room to dress.
Bobby

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
This is a tough one, as I can't remember any TT without bedroom wardrobes, although our KZ Jag entry level model only had a wardrobe on one side of the bed. I think the wardrobes are essential and convenient for storage, but I can see the issue if one was claustrophobic. My biggest concern was banging my head on the overhead cabinets when sitting up in bed. But I use the cabinets to help pull myself up from the bed, so in the process I am aware of where they are in relationship to my noggin.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:

Can't help but to wonder if he could just remove the cabinets himself (or pay someone local who will work at a reasonable rate).

I've considered this in the past. I'm either left with storing the cabinets until I want to sell or dumping them and hoping the next owner doesn't care about the missing cabinets.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
If you order a new trailer, they can easily and gladly delete those cabinets during construction.

We have ordered our last 2 trailers and have had a number of custom changes, deletions and additions made to the basic brochure model...

Does this hurt you in the negotiations? Seems it would take away some of your power when not buying from stock.

Not criticizing, just asking.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at virtually every TT floor plan from Thor Industries, and all of them with the head board against the front cap have wardrobes and over head cabinets.

There are a few models that had the bed turned sideways, with the headboard on the drivers wide wall, up in the corner. But there is still a narrow wall near the head.

The other options are the bed in the slide outs. Although the slide outs did not have wardrobes on the side, they did have walls, which would give the same claustrophobic feeling as the wardrobes beside the bed.

Then there were corner beds. But after owning a camper that had a master corner bed, and it was surrounded by 3 and 1/2 full walls, I think that would be even more unnerving to someone with claustrophobia.

Now here's a thought? Really, this isn't so dumb if you think about. Sometimes you JUST have to go unconventional....

What's stopping you from turning the living room area into a bed room, and turning the bed room area into a living room area? Really! Remove the bed and you have a living room. Get some stand alone furniture, and BINGO! You've got it.

In the original living room, take out the dinette, or table and chairs, the couch and put in a bed. It can even be a REAL bed, not an RV bed. Put it right in the middle!

Like I said, it might be a bit unconventional, but if means you don't have to sleep alone any more ... hey! I'd be ripping that camper apart yesterday!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Lack of a wardrobe is usually found in the smaller trailers where the objective is to keep cost down for the first time buyer. Unfortunately they also lack some of the features the more experienced travelers like.

I believe the previous commemt is correct, if you order new they may be able to modify the floor plan for you.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you order a new trailer, they can easily and gladly delete those cabinets during construction.

We have ordered our last 2 trailers and have had a number of custom changes, deletions and additions made to the basic brochure model...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would view all the available floorplans from all the mfg.'s to see if a non wardrobe set up exists. I would think you would want an island bed opposed to one against a wall, like a slideout.
OR... put the pillows at the foot of the bed which would then the head of the bed. You could easily fabricate a headboard. Normally, there aren't any cabinets or wardrobes at the foot of the beds.