Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tundra or Ridgeline

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
Ridgeline or Tundra

I'm probably going to buy this week, but like an idiot I am gravitating back and forth between two totally different vehicles. I keep my vehicles a very long time, so it's a huge decision. Since I am 67 years old, this will probably be my last tow vehicle. Priorities: reliability, comfort, towing ability. I'm towing a 3,000 lb. travel trailer, but could conceivably move up later.

1. 2014 Ridgeline SE ($36k sales price) (5,000 lb. max. towing)
2. 2014 Toyota Tundra Model 1794 ($43k sales price)(10,000 lb. max. towing)

I am a hard-headed Honda and Toyota devotee, so other brands are out.

Ridgeline:

advantages: handling, maneuverability, ride, cost, fits my wife and my driveway

disadvantages: old school, last year of production, manually adj. passenger seat, less roomy, limited towing ability

Tundra:

advantages: first year of restyle, full-size spare
roomy, plush interior, power passenger seat, almost unlimited towing ability, RWD

disadvantages:
cost, maneuverability, slightly less mpg., takes up a lot of space
74 REPLIES 74

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the Ridgeline only rated for 5000# if that 5000#is a boat? I thought for rvs or other towables with more frontal area it was rated lower.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez, I hate it when threads deteriorate this way. Anyhow, Tundra, Tundra, Tundra, Tundra, Tundra, Tundra. 'nuff said?

My bro just towed his 10,000lb Cougar 5th wheel 1,800 miles from Canada to California. It was a very impressive trip indeed and I was quite impressed with how his Tundra handled things. I saw a Ridgeline come through the RV park today and to me it kinda looked like a poser as far as trucks go. I just don't know how a Ridgeline could handle much of a trailer in tow. You said that you might be moving up to a bigger RV at some point so ya might as well step up to the plate and swing big. Buy a Tundra.

JFTR, I don't buy vehicles that aren't Dodge, Ford or GM. As always, YMMV!

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2010 and had an AIP pump go under the 3/36K warranty. That was before they increased the warranty to whatever it is now. When the pump went, it didn't put me into limp mode. Took it to dealer, they replaced it by the next day and I was back in the truck and loving it.

As long as your payload is low enough, the Tundra is a GREAT truck to pull with. Plenty of power, plenty of brakes, transmission seems strong, rear end is plenty beefy. My father in law has a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 and pulls an equal size trailer that is newer and lighter than my trailer. We both average about the same mileage towing and both trucks got up the mountains in central PA at the same speed (above the speed limit) and came down the other side the same speed just fine.

For an appropriately sized trailer, the Tundra is a great towing machine.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
There was a TSB released on the AIP which required an ECU flash. I had this done at my 10k service. I'm now at 15k and have not experienced this.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
otrfun wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Again, I am asking youngone, who made a statement that there is a FEDERAL recall on the AIP for his 2012 Tundra to provide the information showing this FEDERAL recall. Here is the place to start, NHTSA website and I see NOTHING about any recall for the AIP, there or anywhere else.
Texan- If the manufacturer recalled on a voluntary basis the Feds don't get involved. The vehicle had issues-and it involved a pollution control item/at least partially.

So please explain to us what's your fascination whether it was a manufacturer based recall or a Federal one. It was a BIG ISSUE EITHER WAY FOR OWNERS WHO WERE AFFECTED! AND big dollars.

Toyota Howl

In addition-If you go down to "Toyo Tech"s post in the comment section-he saying it's not entirely over and later model years could be affected!

Go down to "Dave Waters" post 2 under "Toyo Tech." He had a 2013 affected. THERE IS AN ISSUE!
Typically, the NHTSA doesn't get involved unless it's a safety related issue. The defective Tundra AIP's are more of an EPA issue (pollutants released on startup) than a NHTSA issue.

Of course, if it's your Tundra that goes into "limp" mode while towing a 4 ton trailer on I70, chances are you'll have some very choice comments about whether it's a safety related issue or not--lol!

Doesn't matter-it was a major issue-there is no denying that!

I too read about the AIP issues on the Tundra forums and that had me concerned as it's an expensive fix if out of warranty. From what I recall it involved water getting sucked up into the intake of the pump causing it to fail. This happens apparently if you frequently drive through deep water. Toyota sent a letter to Tundra owners extending the warranty on the AIP's to 200,000 miles to calm the outrage. My '07 has had no problems and I never heard of the "howl".

Having said all that, I would not hesitate to put the F150 or Silverado on my list if I was looking new. They're great trucks too and I would probably get the one I could get the best deal on.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Again, I am asking youngone, who made a statement that there is a FEDERAL recall on the AIP for his 2012 Tundra to provide the information showing this FEDERAL recall. Here is the place to start, NHTSA website and I see NOTHING about any recall for the AIP, there or anywhere else.
Texan- If the manufacturer recalled on a voluntary basis the Feds don't get involved. The vehicle had issues-and it involved a pollution control item/at least partially.

So please explain to us what's your fascination whether it was a manufacturer based recall or a Federal one. It was a BIG ISSUE EITHER WAY FOR OWNERS WHO WERE AFFECTED! AND big dollars.

Toyota Howl

In addition-If you go down to "Toyo Tech"s post in the comment section-he saying it's not entirely over and later model years could be affected!

Go down to "Dave Waters" post 2 under "Toyo Tech." He had a 2013 affected. THERE IS AN ISSUE!
Typically, the NHTSA doesn't get involved unless it's a safety related issue. The defective Tundra AIP's are more of an EPA issue (pollutants released on startup) than a NHTSA issue.

Of course, if it's your Tundra that goes into "limp" mode while towing a 4 ton trailer on I70, chances are you'll have some very choice comments about whether it's a safety related issue or not--lol!

Doesn't matter-it was a major issue-there is no denying that!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
The Texan wrote:

Toyota Howl

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
DUNEBUGGYDOUG wrote:
Please take some medicine for your hard head and buy you a real truck.Chevy, Ford or Dodge

And there it is... I was waiting for the troll.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
The Texan wrote:

Toyota Howl
Go back and read the post he made about how it was a forced government recall, which it was NOT and how he lost his bid for a lemon law claim because it was a NHTSA forced recall, which it was NOT. NO fascination, but to try and scare folks away with totally false information is flat WRONG.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Please take some medicine for your hard head and buy you a real truck.Chevy, Ford or Dodge

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:

Toyota Howl

It_s_Me
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
esjay wrote:
Ridgeline or Tundra

I'm probably going to buy this week, but like an idiot I am gravitating back and forth between two totally different vehicles. I keep my vehicles a very long time, so it's a huge decision. Since I am 67 years old, this will probably be my last tow vehicle. Priorities: reliability, comfort, towing ability. I'm towing a 3,000 lb. travel trailer, but could conceivably move up later.

1. 2014 Ridgeline SE ($36k sales price) (5,000 lb. max. towing)
2. 2014 Toyota Tundra Model 1794 ($43k sales price)(10,000 lb. max. towing)

I am a hard-headed Honda and Toyota devotee, so other brands are out.

Ridgeline:

advantages: handling, maneuverability, ride, cost, fits my wife and my driveway

disadvantages: old school, last year of production, manually adj. passenger seat, less roomy, limited towing ability

Tundra:

advantages: first year of restyle, full-size spare
roomy, plush interior, power passenger seat, almost unlimited towing ability, RWD

disadvantages:
cost, maneuverability, slightly less mpg., takes up a lot of space

I', 67 also and remember my dad's injury's from the war. No thanks I will never buy from that country

Umm.....you bought the generator in your sig from "that country." FYI, thought you should know.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think as others have said...the Toyota is a truck and the Honda is a light truck .

Honda impresses me more with quality control. I have a Toyota (Matrix)...bought new. I have not been impressed with some of the design features, quality and problems...specifically electrical (ECM replacement, electric window controls, sensor, etc.)

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
youngone wrote:
I have owned Toyota Trucks for 25 years. I had a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7v8. My latest one was a 2012 Toyota Tundra Doublecab SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7v8. I had 2,000 miles on this truck and I started losing power as I drove along. Brought truck back to dealer and they were confused. Somehow they thought they solved the problem. One year later {May 2013} I get a Recall notice so I bring in my truck to dealer. Recall was because the 5.7v8 engines were loosing power. They did the recall. A week later I am hearing this howling noise after I shut off the engine. I go back to the dealer and the mechanic tells me that with the recall now the electronic air pump runs after the engine is shut off and there is nothing that they can do with that howling sound after you turn off the engine. That was part of the recall. I met with a Toyota engineer and he told me to listen to his company supplied truck {Tundra}and it does the same thing. I ended up filing a grievance with the lemon law book that they give to you when you buy the truck. I had my hearing and I lost my case because this was a Government approved recall. I think this recall was between 2011-2013 models.
I decided I did not want to listen to this howling sound every time I shut off my truck. AS off today I am no longer a owner of a Toyota pickup and have no plans to own a Toyota product for a long time. I feel Toyota could have solved this problem some how different. I'm not saying the other brands out there are better but I will take my chance.
I feel Toyota could of taken care of my problem better after buying a $40,000 Toyota Tundra.
Good luck on what ever you decide to buy!
mrp116 wrote:
I own a 2012 Tundra with the 5.7 that we use to tow our 6,000 lb, 32' TT. I am an avid follower of the major Tundra forums (Tundra Talk and Tundra Solutions) to keep abreast of any issues with these trucks. I have NEVER heard, or read, ANYTHING about any "howling" problems after the truck is turned off or of any issues with the trucks losing power.
I believe this recall (ref youngone's post) deals with the Tundra AIP (air induction pump) issue. The recall involves reflashing the ECM to change the pump's operating characteristics. After the reflash the pumps run much longer upon shutdown. That's exactly why I'm not having this ECM reflash recall done on my truck--it's very irritating (i.e., "howling"). Sure, I run the risk of having AIP issues, but even without the reflash the AIP is still covered under warranty. Have plans to trade/sell before the warranty expires.

The losing power issue youngone is referring to is the truck going into "limp" mode when the AIP unit throws certain error codes. This issue has been covered in detail over and over again on tundratalk and tundrasolutions.

BTW, if one or both AIP units fail (out of warranty) it's a $2000-$4000 fix!!

You are right on with This issue being the air induction pump issue. I know they reprogrammed my computer chip.The engineer told me from Toyota to solve this limp mode issue they needed to have the electronic air pump shut off after the engine shuts off. It is only a matter of seconds between all this but the howling sound if very irritating. The noise comes from the electronic air pump shutting down.If I remember right the engineer mentioned it clears out the moisture in the pump lines. Since I experienced this limp mode a year earlier at that time they changed my air pump line so they did not do it on the recall. I will tell you it is pretty dam scary when the engine goes in this limp mode. I was 14 miles from the nearest dealer and as I limped going down the road I kept saying to myself please make it to the dealership. I was very lucky I was not towing my 7,000 lb trailer at the time. It was a big joke around my friends when I would shut my truck off. I usually tried to shut it off when no one was around. Because the Government approved this recall Toyota was covered under the repairs that they are doing for this problem.