cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two seasons of TT'ing under my belt and...

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I really wanna take my kids camping at a beach. They are 3, 6, and 8.
My DW doesn't think she would have fun camping at a beach but I'm thinking a little sun and warmer weather in say March/April will be a good cure for the cabin fever blues!
Anybody have good suggestions for young kids? I wish we were actually closer to a beach but oh well. I'm live near Virginia Tech in southwest va.
Any suggestions would be great.
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
33 REPLIES 33

gapeachy
Explorer
Explorer
we are gulf people so we camp at cape san blas fl. at st joseph peninsula state park. even on 4th of july no crowds. beautiful very close to beach and bay. the bay is so shallow you can walk forever. kids play and kayak in bay.
:W

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
well. We've not ruled out traveling to va beach to visit friends but cape hatteras KOA is calling our name as well! Anyone been there?
I think it would be good choice for our young kids and mid/late april might be swimming weather if it's warm…thanks for all the great suggestions folks!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what you mean "camping on a beach", but I would try to find a nice rv park NEAR a beach, so if the weather is crappy, you will have things to do at the rv park (pools, game room, activities) and the wife won't have to worry about the kids in the ocean and getting sand out of areas that normally sand is not to be. Maybe then she won't mind going.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where ever you go, ensure you have the facilities commensurate with the season. If you go to the beach in the summer, be sure you have electric so you can run the AC, boon docking with a young family in extreme heat will be miserable. OTOH, boon docking could be very pleasant in the spring or fall.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

jondrew
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
If you want to come to Florida... I would'nt reccommend Anastasia State park as sites are small ...

Couldnt disagree with you more about Anastasia. We've been going there for more than 20 years with everything from tents, to TTs to a 34' Class A. Only complaint I have about Anastasia is its tough sometimes to get my sat dish in a spot I can get a signal due to the trees. But that was always part of the charm of the park.

You're right on about North Beach and Gamble Rogers though.

As others have said, the time you want to take your trip is right in the spring break area, so expect crowds if you can find a reservation.
Freeport Shasta 28BHS

racecitypat
Explorer
Explorer
HA HA....... I love the bucket list idea!... we have the east coast of Fl on our bucket list for sure..... after seeing the clear water and white sand in pictures, I certainly want to see it between my toes!!.... just trying to save the change we find in the couch cushions to pay for the trip!!

And your right, Ocean Lakes can be crowded if you camp right on the bldv... but over in the numbers section, its quite peaceful..... and the 11pm curfew is enforced..... nice, new, clean restrooms all over the campground.
2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS... "the Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC, 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Bucket list!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Sarasota florida and experienced the white sand once in my life and it was marvelous! Would love to take them but I'm afraid that might be a little farther out than I wanna venture with a 3yo. I bet we'd be 16-20 hours out from northern gulf!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend anywhere on the northern gulf coast. Wait until a little later in the year, with mid August through October being my favorite. The water is warm and clear, the crowds are less because school is back in. With kids that small, I think you would like the sugar white sand, warm shallow water with gentle waves. There will be plenty of kiddie things to do when you tire of the beach or the middle of the day when it's just too hot.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Might not be too far from the OP's VA area:
Years ago, probably 11 or 12, when our kids where still little, we did a week camping at the beach in Lewes DE. We only had the use of a little pop-up camper we borrowed from my sister back then. We stayed at Cape Henlopen State Park. We had a great time just relaxing and enjoying time on the beach and in the campground. It was very a low-key family atmosphere. I'm sure the local area has grown some, but I doubt that State Park is any different. Now that we are going full tilt in our own TT, we plan to get back there soon as well as down to Assateague.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
racecitypat wrote:
We have camped at Myrtle Beach for 30 years.... and we have tried every campground down there, and by far, Ocean Lakes is the best all around. They all have their flaws, and over crowded beaches during peak times, but overall, I would rate Ocean Lakes the best. Lakewood is also a nice campground for young kids since the opening of their small waterslide. April or May is a great time, and your wife will love the beachy atmosphere at either campground. I am not a fan of Pirateland, and would not recommend it.

But camping at the beach is so awesome!... And for the kids, its an experience that they will never forget. We average going down 4 to 5 times a year.

Have fun and enjoy!!

We have stayed in all of the MB CGs, and have Pirateland to be the quietest on the South end, and now our choice. As Golf carts are parked at 11:00, and the CG itself is smaller. The carts tend to run all night at the other 2.

For us OL is too crowded, and the beach sites are too small.
On the North end. MBTP is the best. LW is OK but many of the bath houses are dated, and have no AC.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

racecitypat
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped at Myrtle Beach for 30 years.... and we have tried every campground down there, and by far, Ocean Lakes is the best all around. They all have their flaws, and over crowded beaches during peak times, but overall, I would rate Ocean Lakes the best. Lakewood is also a nice campground for young kids since the opening of their small waterslide. April or May is a great time, and your wife will love the beachy atmosphere at either campground. I am not a fan of Pirateland, and would not recommend it.

But camping at the beach is so awesome!... And for the kids, its an experience that they will never forget. We average going down 4 to 5 times a year.

Have fun and enjoy!!
2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS... "the Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC, 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
hmknightnc wrote:
woodtrucker wrote:
Thanks guys! We were hoping to avoid some crowds being this is our first long trip. I'll see what I can do with mid april.
Lakewood, MB travel park, ocean lakes? what's the best one for younger kids you think?

Pirate Land in South Mrytle Beach. Large, quite, on the beach, and lots of activities

Lots of activities, yes

Quite, not a chance

We were there this past summer, yes peak season, but this was the loudest, most crowded CG we have stayed at in the past 3 years of camping. The golf cart thing was crazy and dangerous. Silly, loud golf car parade everynight and we saw the paramedics 2 times in our 2 day stay due to stupidity. We are young family with young kids, I would visit MB again, but definetly not stay at Pirate Land. JMO
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

windpusher
Explorer
Explorer
Try Myrtle Beach in April but what would I know as I live in Myrtle Beach.;) Pirate Land is a good family campground.