cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two seasons of TT'ing under my belt and...

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I really wanna take my kids camping at a beach. They are 3, 6, and 8.
My DW doesn't think she would have fun camping at a beach but I'm thinking a little sun and warmer weather in say March/April will be a good cure for the cabin fever blues!
Anybody have good suggestions for young kids? I wish we were actually closer to a beach but oh well. I'm live near Virginia Tech in southwest va.
Any suggestions would be great.
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
33 REPLIES 33

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I generally don't go as far south as you are. But Claytor lake and Hungry Mother are on my to do list. They appear to be great places. Just not enough time.......(or money LOL) to do them all but I'm trying!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
We are a little south of shenandoah but if you can find some camping around wintergreen you will love it. It's so beautiful in that area. Enjoy!
Also, a lot of private campgrounds throughout our area which is a little further south. State parks are great here too. Hungry Mother State Park, Grayson Highlands, and Claytor Lake State park which I could almost walk to from my house. If you decide to come farther south let me know! I can give you the skinny on those campgrounds around here!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I love the beach and I haven't ruled anything out yet! OHH...St Augustine sounds heavenly but I'm not sure my youngest could handle a trip that far. We could stop off halfway and camp somewhere and make a two day trek out of it but that would lengthen the trip and the cost somewhat. I'm going to look at North Beach too.
You guys are definitely helping me with my cabin fever blues!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
woodtrucker wrote:
We have some DF's in the suffolk area and we may take a trip out toward va beach in april.I'm checking into it.

To the OP.
Don't give up on the beach idea,we head to the beach every summer and sometimes Spring Break too.

Funny thing is the grass is always greener on the otherside.
Our plan this year is to go to your area "Shenandoah Valley" for Spring Break!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to come to Florida, consider North Beach Campground newa St Augustine. Its located directly across A1A from the beach, and you can watch the sunset on the intracoastal behind the CG. It has a swimming pool, access to dining on the water, and lots of things to see as St.Augustine is very close. I would'nt reccommend Anastasia State park as sites are small, however for right on the beach camping check out Gamble Rogers State Park a little farther south.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not trying to talk you into anything. But in truth. Spring camping at the beach is as good as summer camping. In the spring. It's the perfect temp to do just about anything you want. Shop, Golf, Mini golf, what ever.
During a Myrtle Beach summer day. Often. It's just about too hot to breathe.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, I think she would enjoy a warmer time of year for beach camping. I might be redirected on this b/c I forgot about our friends in suffolk,va so I'm going to check into that a little further. Someday we will do ocean front camping at the beach. I'm determined!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
We have some DF's in the suffolk area and we may take a trip out toward va beach in april.I'm checking into it.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
uscgcolletti wrote:
I live in Newport News, we camp often near Virginia beach.
Trav-l holiday campground comes to mind. When you grow tired of the beach they have 3 swimming pools and alot to keep you interested at the CG. Not to mention in the evening you can walk to boardwalk.

However you need to convince your wife to atleast try beach camping

I agree get her to try it. We all know Beach camping is great, but doing it in the off season when things are a bit cool may not convince her. She won't get the full effect due to the cooler weather

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever you're thinking of going, confirm that the spring breakers are back to their books by then. Made that mistake ONE time going to Key West in late Feb - before camping days. Then totally forgot when I planned our yearly trek to FL for spring training and went mid Mar and the traffic was dreadful. You should be fine by late March/early April, but be sure to check....if there is sand and water and it's still spring break, no fun at all. Must be a sign of old age, but DH was NOT a happy person having to drive into Tampa 4 days in bumper to bumper traffic. We go to Lakeland now....no sand, no water, just baseball.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Assateague Island is great. There is both a state park (has some electric sites) and a national park (dry camping).
I have camped there every month of the year except June, July, and August - too crowded and hot for me then. March, on the bay side of the national park, can be nice, April on the ocean side of either park can be downright pleasant. For example, tomorrow it will be 56 degrees and partly sunny - great if the wind isn't blowing. Any beach in March or April can be great but it depends more on the wind than anything else. I camped once on the beachside in May; the 30 mph winds that weekend kept the temps in the 50s and the people off the beach.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Newport News, we camp often near Virginia beach.
Trav-l holiday campground comes to mind. When you grow tired of the beach they have 3 swimming pools and alot to keep you interested at the CG. Not to mention in the evening you can walk to boardwalk.

However you need to convince your wife to atleast try beach camping

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
woodtrucker wrote:
Thanks guys! We were hoping to avoid some crowds being this is our first long trip. I'll see what I can do with mid april.
Lakewood, MB travel park, ocean lakes? what's the best one for younger kids you think?

In April the weather will be much nicer than home but it will be lukewarm at best vs. true hot beach weather. You will certainly have reduced crowds because it is off season.
I have enjoyed Spring Break in Myrtle many times however you do not get the full effect of the beach atmosphere during Spring. The weather simply hasn't warmed up yet
Nevertheless any of the destinations above will be great. Hope for warmer weather and make the most of it.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
woodtrucker wrote:
Thanks guys! We were hoping to avoid some crowds being this is our first long trip. I'll see what I can do with mid april.
Lakewood, MB travel park, ocean lakes? what's the best one for younger kids you think?

Pirate Land in South Mrytle Beach. Large, quite, on the beach, and lots of activities

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer