cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

underbelly is wet

badbowtie
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2000 forest rivers cherokee 37' travel trailer that I have some things I got fixed and working last night. I was aware when I bought it I had work to do but price was right. I noticed when I was under it last night the whole underbelly is like a thick rubber my old camper was more like a nylon than rubber and my neighbors fith wheel has like 4x8 panels that come out. But this is more like a one piece rubber. But If I push up on it it feels like there is water in it. I am not sure where or how it is getting in. the walls do not show any signs of water in them or anywere else. I am not sure if I should just drill some 3/16 drain holes thru out to let it drain everywhere. I just would like to hear what or were to look to locate were water is coming from.
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Right after we purchased our Springdale, I was filling the black tank to flush it out. I have this round thing that slips in the toilet valve (bottom) and keep it from closing so the water will continue running. Well, I got carried away and forgot about the water running, and the wife started yelling ... WATER! WATER! WATER! Sure enough, the toilet overflowed and water running all over the floor.

We got it cleaned up, but unfortunately water also leaded through the walls, under the floor and into the underbelly where it pooled. Yuck. How do you get that out?

Got the trailer home and I used a screwdriver and punched one hole in the fabric-cloth-rubber underbelly "thing" and water started pouring out. I left it that way for an entire day until nothing dripped any more.

I then went inside the camper and took 2 of the floor vents for the furnace off, twisted the metal conduit so hot air would blow under the floor, and then placed heavy pillows on the top of all vents so the air was forced under the floor.

I cranked up the furnace, opened all the windows, and let it run for about 6 hours full throttle... OK I used up some propane. But with all the heat blowing under the floor (and the underside looked like a baloon ready to pop), it dried out completely. Also, I found every tiny place where air was blowing out from under the underbelly, marked it, and later went back and sealed up those spots.

The air blowing through the insulation like that, dried everything out, bone dry. I then took some gorilla type tape and simply taped the hole back up where I punched through the liner. Never had another problem, and I learned to always attend the toilet when breaking camp!

I admire you for not going into a panic and instead finding a creative solution to the problem.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Before you fix anything, find out if it's really broke. Access to your belly should be possible from above the floor, possibly at the floor heat vents or the furnace connection. What you think is water could easily be insulation.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to ask if it "felt like water" or if you could actually hear water when you push on it. Sounds like you have figured it out. Glad there was nothing to it
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

badbowtie
Explorer
Explorer
Well for a update I did fill fresh water tank last night and ran pump to fill hot water heater and all lines and pumped kicked off lick normal and it sat for atleast 15-20 minutes and never came back on till I cracked a faucet. But I did go out today and took a ice pick and put a 1/8 hole in belly were I thought it was full of water and nothing so I am really thinking it is just the weight of the rubber making it feel like it has water. I am going to cheeck some more over the weekend but I guess I am good to keep working to get camping soon.

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of remodeling my Sunnybrook trailer, it also has the black plastic looking piece underneath it. What I discovered is my holding tank valves were leaking, and puddling above the plastic. My holding tanks are right above it. I am wondering if that is the same situation you have.

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to drill some drain holes- if there's water in there you need to get it out PRONTO. Such holes can easily be patched or, better yet, plugged with a removable nylon cap (in case more water accumulates).

You of course need to locate the source of the leaks if possible- but since you don't know how long the water's been there, you can't know if you even still have a "leak" problem.

If the rig was mine, I'd find the lowest point, drain it, and watch for more water.

Exactly what he said. Lean it to a corner are find a low spot and drain that water out pronto. Then pressure up and see if there is more and how fast it is leaking. Then you must find the leak at all cost. Water in a rv where it is not supposed to be is not your friend.
1997 24' coleman Sun Ridge Pop-up
1998 F-150 crewcab:E

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate to drill some drain holes- if there's water in there you need to get it out PRONTO. Such holes can easily be patched or, better yet, plugged with a removable nylon cap (in case more water accumulates).

You of course need to locate the source of the leaks if possible- but since you don't know how long the water's been there, you can't know if you even still have a "leak" problem.

If the rig was mine, I'd find the lowest point, drain it, and watch for more water.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

path1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing is for sure, water leaks are not your friend in RV's. I would try to isolate where the water is coming from. Which brings you to "chasing water leaks". Incoming or outgoing, hot or cold? Leak could be from any place that has water. From a drain to roof, You have to find out where the source of water leak is.
I would turn off all water faucets, water heaters etc.. and turn on your water pump until everything is full and water pump shuts off, then walk away for 5 or 10 min, then just sit near your water pump there real quite, see listen for your water pump to cycle every now and then. Just a little burp maybe every min or so. If it does, the pump is pumping water somewhere via your leak (or this leak)is from the incoming side and not discharge side. It is cycling too replace the water and pressure it has lost, due to a this leak somewhere. I finally found mine only after water damage was done. The incoming line to hot water heater was lose, just enough to let a drip every couple of min. Just a simple tightening of the connection could of solved all my problems, if I found it leak fast enough. Had to tear out insulation around water heater to find and replace some wood. If pump doesn't cycle, not the incoming water side has to be drain side. Could be nothing more than a leaky $10.00 valve. Some Rv's just getting access to inspect where leak is coming from is a hassle all within its self.
Some people have had good results with air pressure tests. Others get an air pressure test and fix where soapy bubbles have shown up and fixed that spot only to find out years later that they fixed one leak out of several.
Hope this helps. PM me you think I've missed anything.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Right after we purchased our Springdale, I was filling the black tank to flush it out. I have this round thing that slips in the toilet valve (bottom) and keep it from closing so the water will continue running. Well, I got carried away and forgot about the water running, and the wife started yelling ... WATER! WATER! WATER! Sure enough, the toilet overflowed and water running all over the floor.

We got it cleaned up, but unfortunately water also leaded through the walls, under the floor and into the underbelly where it pooled. Yuck. How do you get that out?

Got the trailer home and I used a screwdriver and punched one hole in the fabric-cloth-rubber underbelly "thing" and water started pouring out. I left it that way for an entire day until nothing dripped any more.

I then went inside the camper and took 2 of the floor vents for the furnace off, twisted the metal conduit so hot air would blow under the floor, and then placed heavy pillows on the top of all vents so the air was forced under the floor.

I cranked up the furnace, opened all the windows, and let it run for about 6 hours full throttle... OK I used up some propane. But with all the heat blowing under the floor (and the underside looked like a baloon ready to pop), it dried out completely. Also, I found every tiny place where air was blowing out from under the underbelly, marked it, and later went back and sealed up those spots.

The air blowing through the insulation like that, dried everything out, bone dry. I then took some gorilla type tape and simply taped the hole back up where I punched through the liner. Never had another problem, and I learned to always attend the toilet when breaking camp!

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect a leaky grey/black line or a fresh water line. Things do come loose sometimes. When I bought my '96 Mallard it had been in storage for a number of years and all the fittings on the fresh water lines had been loosened. Water everywhere when we pressured up the system. (Mental note: check stuff like that BEFORE putting water in!)

Luckily that was an easy fix. Not sure what kind of access you'll have to your enclosed underbelly to inspect for leaks.
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

badbowtie
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to look around somemore tonight if I get time but I have not found anywere to look in for sure. I don't think I will have a critter problem since there is other spots were I would say then could get in if they wanted to anyway.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
That doesn't sound so good. If you drill holes, it will allow mice, squirrels, insects, etc. in. Can you check from the inside to see if there really is water down there?