cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unhooking

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Rockwood. When I try to unhook the hitch I'm back & forth, back & forth etc. with the truck. If not just right I'm lifting the truck with the electric jack. Never had this problem with our other trailers. Hitch make is hard to read, Atwood, Awooo, Al something, no idea. Hitch latch open. Any ideas ?
19 REPLIES 19

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If it's like ours, I had a heck of a time unhitching until I found a 1/4" little blob of weld splatter had gotten in the pivot point down inside the coupler behind the part that holds the ball when you move the latch forward and it snaps into place.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
The latching mechanism inside the tongue usually has an adjustment. It may be too tight and not backing off far enough when unlatched. There should be a nut underneath the tongue for this. Just be sure it still fully engages when latched.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Camper G wrote:
If mine sticks when I'm trying to unhook, after i have some of the weight off with the tongue jack, I simply stand on the hitch or bounce it when I'm standing on it and it pops right off.

This is assuming you have your wheels properly chocked before hand!

Me too. I just jack up until I'm plenty high enough , then jump on the bumper.

It then releases with a thump.

Hang on to the tailgate when you do this so that you do not get startled and fall off of the bumper.

This.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If it sticks, I just keep jacking. I know the ball is greased. Haven't had one not come unhooked yet.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Hang on to the tailgate when you do this so that you do not get startled and fall off of the bumper.

Still not convinced that you should grease the ball????

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Pull the pin on the receiver, drive forward.

Ball might have rust or a gouge making it hang up in the couple?

This is exactly how I have to remove mine.

Pull the pin after releasing the latch. then just pull forward.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Camper G wrote:
If mine sticks when I'm trying to unhook, after i have some of the weight off with the tongue jack, I simply stand on the hitch or bounce it when I'm standing on it and it pops right off.

Yes, exactly make sure you brace yourself. I also grease as needed as well with wheel bearing grease, so as soon as I get some of the weight off with the tongue jack, a little downward pressure with my leg and she pops right off no problem.

Common problem unless your sitting dead level with no load on the ball, which rarely happens for me.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper G wrote:

Rumtan
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the sticking is caused by the ball not being level. Just something else to check.
2013 Keystone Passport 2100RB
2015 F150 ecoboost
Fish-O-Holic;)

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:

X2
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
As previously mentioned, a little grease on the ball works wonders.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a rubber mallet behind the truck seat. I use it to rap on the coupler to help it pop loose from the ball if it gets hung up. It also comes in handy breaking up ice when it freezes solid inside the bag.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you need a dab of grease on the ball.
I did the same frustrating dance with my travel trailer before I wised up.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H