cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPDATED: GM about to smash another record!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Great news- they're within spittin' distance of surpassing the 2004 record set for most GM recalls ever! ๐Ÿ™‚

News report wrote:

General Motors recalls another 2.7 million vehicles

The latest action covers eight different models and brings the number of vehicles recalled this year by the nationโ€™s largest automaker to more than 11.1 million in the United States and 12.8 million worldwide. That put GM on course to break its 2004 domestic recall record of 11.8 million vehicles, the company said.

Link to source

:B

ON EDIT UPDATE 5/22

Newest recall puts 'em over the top

News report wrote:
DETROIT (AP) โ€” General Motors has added yet another recall to its growing list for the year.

The recall of 218,000 Chevrolet Aveo subcompact cars is the company's 29th this year, bringing the total number of recalled GM vehicles in the U.S. to around 13.8 million. That breaks GM's previous annual record of 10.75 million set in calendar year 2004.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
90 REPLIES 90

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
bmanning wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
The Tow Vehicle forum used to be the most interesting part of this forum IMO, but know it's filled with more and more if this nonsense. Very few informative posts, just nonsense.

Eventually you'll do what I did Ron; I used to check the forum daily, now it's once every few weeks. Same nonsense gets recycled over, and over, and over...

I agree with the two of you. I find I'm drifting away as you are.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
FYI, the American car industry nationwide only employed just over 3/4 of a million people in 2012. That is across all brands and parts suppliers...

Here is my source
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/07/american-made-index-which-automakers-affect-the-most-us-w...

It's even sadder when you look at the historic statistics at the site that article got its info from- here's the curve for the last ten years:

Source

Very interesting chart.
Right after Jan. '09 things start the steady recovery, while right after June '06 they crash and burn.

Who was in office during those two time frames?
Whose policy looks like it worked and whose looks like it didn't?:)

Recessions are cyclical and if one goes far enough back to get a representative sample they will see that most recessions have started to recover around the time that a new leader is coming into office. Many, and I am guilty somewhat, want to remember who was in office during the recession and not recognize when the recovery actually started.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
The Tow Vehicle forum used to be the most interesting part of this forum IMO, but know it's filled with more and more if this nonsense. Very few informative posts, just nonsense.

Eventually you'll do what I did Ron; I used to check the forum daily, now it's once every few weeks. Same nonsense gets recycled over, and over, and over...
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:

Very interesting chart.
Right after Jan. '09 things start the steady recovery, while right after June '06 they crash and burn.

I know this one...this guy!

People's Republic of China Premier Wen Jibao...term 2003-2013. Link

๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
FYI, the American car industry nationwide only employed just over 3/4 of a million people in 2012. That is across all brands and parts suppliers...

Here is my source
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/07/american-made-index-which-automakers-affect-the-most-us-w...

It's even sadder when you look at the historic statistics at the site that article got its info from- here's the curve for the last ten years:

Source

Very interesting chart.

Whose policy looks like it worked and whose looks like it didn't?:)

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
Your argument is based upon one of two theories;
#1 GM owners will never buy another car.
#2 Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/Honda/Kia/etc will produce more vehicles to take over GM's market share without hiring any new employees or increasing parts bought from (former) GM suppliers.

Neither theory holds much water to me.

Where are your FACTS to support your claims? All you have is a theory of what could have happened.

I wasn't going to say any more on this topic, however...

My Dear Spoon, I must point out that everything you have stated or claimed in this thread is based entirely on classic economic theory (from David Ricardo to Milton Friedman), assumptions, and speculation all the while ignoring the specific historical context and circumstances at the time of the financial crisis of 2008.

I would ask you the same question... "Where are your FACTS to support your claims?"
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
T nuts you don't know what your talking about, Ford would have hired everyone with in 2 weeks.....After all spoon said so so it must be fact.

BTW that's sarcasm and not directed to Tnutz.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls,

Great post and the truth but so many are blind. There's so much more to what not having bridged the auto manufacturers etc would have caused which would have been utterly devastating.

Drastic reduction in just a few of the other non-auto related businesses revenues and cause so many to have failed as it's a mushrooming affect.

Drastic drops in and adding to the unemployment numbers:

Eating out

Clothing purchases

Fruniture purchases

Home improvements items purchases

Fuel purchases

Vacations taken which are so vitally important to many areas of the country

RVing, camping, fees for attractions, entertainment venues

Big change in comsumer's grocery store purchasing habits which are very low profit to begin with and cause many to close

Vehicle repairs drastically cut and putting so many more unsafe vehicles on the roads which adds to accidents

Drastic rise in un-insured drivers and unlicensed vehicles

Health care for millions would be even more in emergency rooms only

Skipping of dental and other normal appointments

Millions of additional children living in poverty

Extreme rise in forced bankruptcies across the entire population base

Big increase in homeless numbers

Total collapse of our banking, financial, economy, and way of life would be assured.

So many more devastating effects!

The tentacle effect is and would be extremely disasterous!

Add thees to those already posted and it would undeniably put the country in a deep DEPRESSION not a recession from which the nation would likely not have been able to recover from for many decades.

How little some of these posters realize the true affect would be or have been and it wouldn't be pretty or even palatable.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
This is like the dork who knows more about Obama than his own life.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Get used to bail outs another one is coming and it is not about cars.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Don
You also missed the point that all of us employee's would have stopped paying our property tax on our house when we stopped paying our mortgage. That stopped the revenue to the governments. This reduced the cash flow for education, health, safety, etc.

I never saw what line of employment spoon059 is in, but since he indicates that he is north of DC, I suspect that he has a job tied to government resources that are much more monopolistic.

Individuals in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana understood what was going on. I have neighbors that worked for the other OEMs during these times, and they were concerned. The houses near me were sold for 25% on the dollar. I wondered why I continued to keep mine.

So there will be individuals that argue the point all day. However, I must not be on the correct forums to see the complaints about bailing out AIG, Fannie Mae, etc.

Additionally, I doubt the real, behind the headlines activities of the bailout/bankruptcy will ever be written and published. Those that spent their time dedicated to it will probably move on without seeking the publicity of those that were headlining and already wrote their books.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
This will be my last post as nothing I say will change your mind or vise versa.

Don

First intelligent thing you have posted in a while. Thank you.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

Your argument is based upon one of two theories;
#1 GM owners will never buy another car.
#2 Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/Honda/Kia/etc will produce more vehicles to take over GM's market share without hiring any new employees or increasing parts bought from (former) GM suppliers.
You do understand that it is a domino effect right. When the vendors stop receiving their checks form BOTH companies not just GM then bad things hit the fan. Your theory is not taking in the fact that had the Fed's not stepped in BOTH GM and Chrysler would have closed.
Neither theory holds much water to me.

FYI...
#1 In 2012 GM had 77,000 employees based upon my research, not a quarter million. Sorry was looking at GM's total employment 221,000+ globally. The source I looked at did not post just the US numbers.
#2 Yes, they will no longer receive paychecks from GM. If they get hired by Ford, for example, they receive a paycheck from Ford. Back when this was all going down Ford had people laid off also. So sorry no one was going to Ford, Honda (people on LO there also) Toyota no idea if they had people laid off but I bet they did. So again no one would be getting hired. No one was buying to many cars at this time.
#3 If they have new jobs, they can pay their mortgage
#4 Again... not a quarter million or a half million... 77K. We are still refusing to believe that there is a chance they get hired by another auto manufacturer who needs to increase their market share...
#5 Again... I argue that JOBS aren't going to be lost if GM goes out of business, just paychecks from GM. Someone else will need to hire additional workers to handle increased output from larger market share. Again companies would have to be in the hiring mode and they were not. Think I'm wrong, just look at Knowles graphs for the proof.
#6 Vendors that used to supply that GM PS pump now supply Ford with PS pumps. Vendors continue to get paid. Maybe there is some temporary discomfort while they re-tool... Such is life. again you lack of manufacturing shows here. You need cash to retool, no machine builder or tool shop will be making tools for someone with no cash flow. And you can bet your last dollar that every machine builder and tool shop knows who you work for.
#7 Again... why do we assume that GM goes out of business and those jobs are LOST and that market share disappears? Where is any evidence to support this theory??? see above, no one was hiring
#8 Ummmm... okay? That is what most of the economists were saying, that is the ones that did not have agendas any way.
#9 Sounds horrible, guess the sky is falling? bet you don't think there is Global Warming either right?

Where are your FACTS to support your claims? All you have is a theory of what could have happened. Lets be real, do you really honestly believe that GM owners will never fix their old cars (because that would still supply jobs for vendors, which you argue cannot possibly happen) or buy new non-GM cars? again look at Knowles graph we were in one of the worst recessions in history. Keep your head in the sand that way you can't get hit with the falling skies.

I simply don't believe that those options are viable. Indian went out of business. People lost jobs. Owners were upset. Harley filled in that market share. Harley hired more people than Indian ever employed. Life goes on. so you're comparing a few hundred people to the loss of millions. Remember GM was global Chrysler not so much at that time. That domino effect thing again.

LINK
LINK

LINK
WANT MORE

This will be my last post as nothing I say will change your mind or vise versa.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.