cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade Suggestions Needed

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 Gas 4x4 with a standard 6.5 ft box. It has the tow package from factory. I've towed 3 different TT's since owning the truck from new. I use an Equlaizer WDH with 10 k head and thousand pound bars. Use a prodigy P3 brake controller. Currently towing an 8000 lb TT with less then 900 lb tongue weight. The truck has a 10.5 K tow rating
Looking to upgrade to a new TT that had a 8400!lb dry weight and right at about a 1000 pound tongue weight.
Planning on a new WDH hitch or a minimal of a bar upgrade but welcome input on that too.
My questions are about the truck. It has the power and drivetrain to handle what I've towed and will be towing, its completely stock and well maintained at or above manufacturers recommended schedules. Never had any engine or transmission problems. 120 K miles from new.
I'd like to get another few years out of this truck, we all know the cost of replacement.
My questions; Should I be upgrading the receiver? Read about a Curtis receiver that's not a butget buster but is it worth it for my situation ? Should I be upgrading my stock original shocks or add air bags ? If so what are the benefits? What about leaf springs ? I never had a desire to upgrade or chip the stock engine over the years, like I said all stock yet. Would I benefit from this type of upgrade? K&N air filter thought too ?
Maybe I know the answers already, If it ain't broke don't fix it right ? I'm just trying to be proactive to get a few more safe years of towing from this good truck.
Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
8 REPLIES 8

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard many bad things about washable high flow air filters. More air equals more dirt. As far as suspension, I put Bilsteins on my Ram 2500. Biiiggg improvement. I also added stable loads. If the spring on your truck is predrilled it's s super easy install. If not, take it to a shop. These were also really good and they're inexpensive and mechanically really dumb; no fail. Don't know about your receiver but are they that expensive? Other than that happy travels!!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
The GM receivers of that vintage were terrible, replace it. Replace the shocks with Bilstein 4600's. I added a larger transmission cooler in place of the original cooler. Do not use a K&N air filter, stick with the HD stock air filter.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You're only going a little bit heavier so I don't think you will notice much of a difference. The K&N would be a waste of time IMO.

As to the receiver hitch, Chevy had some bad years on some of their round tube hitches leading to failures. I don't recall the details so some Chevy owners will need to chime in here. Therefore, the Curt receiver might be a worthwhile upgrade.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
What Takeingthe5th said.

I'd spend my money on comfort and convenience items if I had the money to spend. Maybe tire pressure monitors, back up cameras, 12V converter, 12V cooler, and I love my heated seat cushion/back rest in the winter.

Opinions will vary, but I would not consider a reusable filter. I tried one and prefer to change filters rather than try to clean and then get the correct amount of spray on the KN or similar reusable filters.

You might save some money over years of use but the time, effort and piece of mind is better with a replaceable filter for me.

Almost forgot to mention the Mass Air Sensor. Clean it, the biggest power boost for my old Astro van was after I cleaned the MAS.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Sounds like your truck is perfectly capable as is, and that you take care of it. I'd tow the new trailer with it first before doing any "upgrades".

^^^^ This...Agree completely ^^^^

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
You say you are good with maintenance. Your truck is getting older and you are going to work it harder. Your maintenance should go from good to better. Spend some extra time on the cooling system, making sure the system is flushed, the hoses and belts are good, etc. Shocks? Maybe, but do you have any worn steering parts? Bearings and tires OK?

Get close up and have a good look at everything. In my mind a sweet running old truck can be like an old friend. Take care of it's heightened needs and you will still be friends.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your truck is perfectly capable as is, and that you take care of it. I'd tow the new trailer with it first before doing any "upgrades".

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The only change I would consider might be a cat back free flowing exhaust. You really wouldn't see any difference changing the receiver.
-- Chris Bryant