cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

upper terrace loop drive yellowstone

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
This loop says no RV's allowed. Does this mean truck campers too?
I don't plan on dropping the camper off the truck while we are there but would like to drive on these smaller loops if possible.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
11 REPLIES 11

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
This trip is 1600 miles from home. We have two nights reserved at Canyon, two at Madison and two at Grant.
Can't wait for June.

I would still have another 500 miles to go from here. In a TC, think you have a very good plan for staying around the park. And June a great time - warmish weather yet small crowds.

Have a great trip.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
There definitely is NOT overhead/side clearance on that loop. There is parking right on the main road and the best viewpoints are only a short walk, Maybe 100 yards. Lots of scars on the trees to prove it.

Five years Ranger at YELL. ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for all the questions. This is our first big trip with a camper. Most of our camping has been within 2 hours of home. This trip is 1600 miles from home. We have two nights reserved at Canyon, two at Madison and two at Grant.
Can't wait for June.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mote wrote:
billtex wrote:
Our TC is not registered as an RV. We asked a Ranger at the first loop road we encountered that said "No RV's" and they waved us through, after that we drove all the loop roads we encountered in Yellowstone...as we are not one (unless we want to be!).
Have also found the same confusion else where; beaches, campgrounds, etc. It has been our experience that many Folks look at a TC as a truck...not an RV.
Unless specifically defined, or a Ranger says otherwise, I would go for it (but check over head!).

Bill

Is there a park ranger at the start of each of these special loops ?

Not in our experience. They are usually located around the various attractions...and sometimes directing traffic around the busier areas. We always found the Rangers helpful, but not in the least intrusive. IOW; we never had a Ranger tell us NOT to do something.
I guess you could say the Rangers are there to protect the Wildlife...from us!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Our TC is not registered as an RV. We asked a Ranger at the first loop road we encountered that said "No RV's" and they waved us through, after that we drove all the loop roads we encountered in Yellowstone...as we are not one (unless we want to be!).
Have also found the same confusion else where; beaches, campgrounds, etc. It has been our experience that many Folks look at a TC as a truck...not an RV.
Unless specifically defined, or a Ranger says otherwise, I would go for it (but check over head!).

Bill

Is there a park ranger at the start of each of these special loops ?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take the bus tour and avoid the problem.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
We offloaded, drove every side loop we came across. Was just a lot easier hop-scotching around. I dont know names but a couple of the loops I remember glad we didnt have the camper on. Very narrow and low trees. Plus without camper we could pull off into turnouts to explore.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I went into the administrative offices nearby and asked them to define RV. They had no precise definition by height or weight or length. I went out to the parking lot and mulled over the issue, since I am basically a rule- following person. Then I saw a large schoolbus go up the loop road, so The Tiger and I went, too.

The national parks in general really need to work on their signage. Tell me my vehicle cannot go there because it is too tall, too wide, too long, too heavy. Do not tell me it cannot go because it has a sink and a stove!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Been a number of years since I was there, but there could be some overhead clearance issues with trees. And maybe some width issues.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should double check with a ranger, but I don't remember anything along the loop that would prevent a truck camper from making the drive.

Biggest problem you may have is parking with getting your overhang out of the road enough to not block traffic.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)