cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

used Truck Rant

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beginning to look for a truck... some owners are crazy in what they think their trucks are worth.

First F250, about 20% ABOVE KBB high retail. Granted it "looked" in good condition, it was still a 2003. It sat for another 60 days after he absolutely refused my KBB average stating he already had an offer $1k above my offer.

Second one I looked at last night, another F250, used extensively in snow plowing, 2008 gas with the bad plugs that had never been changed, and tires all the way down to the wear bars and accident history. Owner selling it for 15k, I offered 11.5. He stated even the dealer offered him 12.5. Dealer acquaintance suggested sight unseen, he'd offer 9.5 as a dealer purchase. It's already been sitting for about a month. Wife had a bad feeling about either the truck or him. She couldn't articulate the feeling, but I've learned to trust her gut feelings.

She did offer that a co-worker's husband recently died and she can no longer make the note payment on a more recent F350. She suggested a price that is just a little under avg retail for gas, and quite a bit under if it's diesel. So maybe this will work out anyway.

This is all coming about 18 months before I was going to buy a new truck, but we're talking about taking some longer trips with the trailer. One thing to haul with my car on level reasonably good roads in good weather, completely different thing to be crossing mountains in the winter ๐Ÿ˜‰

/rant
48 REPLIES 48

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
hawkeye-08 wrote:
My brother wanted a newer truck, started looking and then realized just what many have said on here, it may make more sense to buy new. He found the truck he wanted on a local lot, took note of the VIN and then send a request to 5 local dealers asking for their best price on that VIN (knowing that they all transfer vehicles between dealers). There was more than $5000 difference from highest to lowest. He bought from the one with the lowest price.

Pfft. I tried that with a certain Ford dealer, and they claimed they couldn't find the truck in their system. The truck was listed right on Ford's website in the inventory search, within 100 miles.

Oh, but they were more than happy to sell me what they had on the lot, which had a list price of $14,000 more than the truck I wanted, had none of the features I wanted, and was the wrong color. Plus, if I acted right then, they'd generously take $2000 off list and give me nothing for my trade. So much for the "no nonsense dealer."

After I figured out which dealer had it, and having a similar experience with them, I went and bought a Chevy for $10,000 off list. In JANUARY. That Ford still sits on the lot, unsold.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Throw the KBB out the window. The price of the truck is the going price in your area, ie, as much as a seller can get for it.

I like to take vehicles that have issues and resurrect. Usually they just need basic repairs. If I'm trading, I use KBB to get an idea of what each others vehicle is worth in regards to the other. My current driver/tow vehicle is a '97 F250HD diesel. The previous owner wanted the Jeep I had really badly. The truck was nice but I wanted to let it roll around in my head overnight as my truck was listed as $7500 and the Jeep was worth maybe $4000. I eventually swapped and later found out why he was in such a rush. The kid he got it from was getting it to "roll coal". He was also getting ready to put a stack in the bed. Eventually the truck just shut down and wouldn't start. Three hours to find the problem and 3 minutes to fix it. A chip was added and the chip failed. I now have a good driving and running truck with no problems. It shifts better, gets better fuel mileage and is wanted by a lot of people but nobody has offered enough to sell it.

The lady friend is looking for a new car. Prices on new pickups are sky high. An F150 was nearly $68,000 list price. With new trucks so high, used ones go up. The clunker turn in a few years back took a bunch of good older equipment off the road. Yes, it helped the car companies sell a lot of new cars but it also took a lot of older ones off the road and drove up demand for newer vehicles. Henry ford did the same thing back in the early 1900's so sell more NEW Model T cars rather than people buying older ones and not new.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Fish" Btw the couple that traded the 05 in was an older couple that the gentleman didn't like towing with a manual tranny. Like I said the price was good because it had a manual transmission. "
Mmmmmmmmk! Cause like those 2005 Dodges are sooooo much cheaper with that crappy NV5600 compared to the stellar 48re auto that everyone loves!! Lol

Hard to tell if your like 16 or 60 but your game is gettin weak! Not going to get many fish on one with statements like that! Lol

It's not a game but my experience...

As far as catching fish I'm your Huckaberry!

Fish On... :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish" Btw the couple that traded the 05 in was an older couple that the gentleman didn't like towing with a manual tranny. Like I said the price was good because it had a manual transmission. "
Mmmmmmmmk! Cause like those 2005 Dodges are sooooo much cheaper with that crappy NV5600 compared to the stellar 48re auto that everyone loves!! Lol

Hard to tell if your like 16 or 60 but your game is gettin weak! Not going to get many fish on one with statements like that! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother wanted a newer truck, started looking and then realized just what many have said on here, it may make more sense to buy new. He found the truck he wanted on a local lot, took note of the VIN and then send a request to 5 local dealers asking for their best price on that VIN (knowing that they all transfer vehicles between dealers). There was more than $5000 difference from highest to lowest. He bought from the one with the lowest price.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

We purchased a used 05 Dodge cummins for a relatively cheap price and the main detractor was the manual transmission. I have to say that the manual tranny was about the only thing that truck didn't have problems with. We sold that truck after 1.5 years at a loss.

So that is the some total of all your hatred of Dodge/Rams? You bought a CHEAP used one and did not have good lucky with it? Wonder if the first owner(s) abused it and that is why it was cheap? Or did you abuse it?

While in the service in 1965 a shipmate and I bought a late 50's ford with a six cylinder motor that had a knock in it, therefore all fords are bad and I have never bought another one! And it gives me a license to bash ford cars and trucks all these years later, BECAUSE I had one bad experience with a cheap ford purchase.

Chris

No hatred just stating our experience with our trucks. My BIL owned a 09 ram cummins for about 9 months and just got tired of the problems with it so he sold it with full disclosure and at a loss. He then picked up a 07 ram that's been a decent truck to date. The point your missing guys is there are ram trucks on the market at very good prices but be careful when purchasing as full disclosure is not common practice.

That's why I don't buy someone elses problems to work out of.

We generally buy used trucks to be used for our farm/ranch. Buying used or new can be a **** shoot as in the 09 (new) truck was plagued with emission related problems which should not be any suprises.

I had a 2010 Cab Chassis which is the same truck as an 09 and I agree, it wasn't half the truck my 2005 and 2013 is. I never had a problem out of it but for the short time I owned it, I didn't like it. I traded it for a C6 Corvette. I still wouldn't but a used truck for what you are using them for. I would probably buy plain jane work trucks with gas engines.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
You guys justify these high prices with comments like "free market at work" and "what the market will bear," but you fail to realize that these trucks have been sitting for MONTHS, unsold.

So obviously, the price being asked has *NOTHING* to do with the so-called "market."

This is what's known as "fishing." The seller knows darn well what the market value is for his truck, but he's trying to find a fool that doesn't know anything about trucks or their value, that will pay the inflated price.

But hey, they're free to ask however much they want, and I'm free to walk away. It's just irksome when you find a nice truck and you just know that you could make a deal with the seller that both of you would be happy with, if the seller wasn't a deranged lunatic who thinks he has a golden shoebox.

Used truck dealers in Puyallup, Wa meet your post 110%! Posted prices are ridiculous. Same trucks are on their sites for months, then along came a sucker! On the other side of the issue, is that RAM dealers offered about a third for trade in of what I was able to sell my truck for. And they would have sold it for more than I did!! Chris

I had a dealer offer me 20K cash for my 2005 knowing I wasn't going to buy anything from him this year.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

We purchased a used 05 Dodge cummins for a relatively cheap price and the main detractor was the manual transmission. I have to say that the manual tranny was about the only thing that truck didn't have problems with. We sold that truck after 1.5 years at a loss.

So that is the some total of all your hatred of Dodge/Rams? You bought a CHEAP used one and did not have good lucky with it? Wonder if the first owner(s) abused it and that is why it was cheap? Or did you abuse it?

While in the service in 1965 a shipmate and I bought a late 50's ford with a six cylinder motor that had a knock in it, therefore all fords are bad and I have never bought another one! And it gives me a license to bash ford cars and trucks all these years later, BECAUSE I had one bad experience with a cheap ford purchase.

Chris

No hatred just stating our experience with our trucks. My BIL owned a 09 ram cummins for about 9 months and just got tired of the problems with it so he sold it with full disclosure and at a loss. He then picked up a 07 ram that's been a decent truck to date. The point your missing guys is there are ram trucks on the market at very good prices but be careful when purchasing as full disclosure is not common practice.

That's why I don't buy someone elses problems to work out of.

We generally buy used trucks to be used for our farm/ranch. Buying used or new can be a **** shoot as in the 09 (new) truck was plagued with emission related problems which should not be any surprises. These trucks do get worked hard and don't ever see a car wash but that's all cosmetics.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
You guys justify these high prices with comments like "free market at work" and "what the market will bear," but you fail to realize that these trucks have been sitting for MONTHS, unsold.

So obviously, the price being asked has *NOTHING* to do with the so-called "market."

This is what's known as "fishing." The seller knows darn well what the market value is for his truck, but he's trying to find a fool that doesn't know anything about trucks or their value, that will pay the inflated price.

But hey, they're free to ask however much they want, and I'm free to walk away. It's just irksome when you find a nice truck and you just know that you could make a deal with the seller that both of you would be happy with, if the seller wasn't a deranged lunatic who thinks he has a golden shoebox.

Used truck dealers in Puyallup, Wa meet your post 110%! Posted prices are ridiculous. Same trucks are on their sites for months, then along came a sucker! On the other side of the issue, is that RAM dealers offered about a third for trade in of what I was able to sell my truck for. And they would have sold it for more than I did!! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Chris

That's why I don't buy someone elses problems to work out of. IMO , if you are going to buy a truck to get you and your family from point A to Point B towing and hauling on vacation or you're going to buy one to work out of and make a living then buy it new. When you are done with it , retire it to a short trip runner or sell it as a short trip runner. I will not buy a used HD truck used unless I personally knew the truck since new. The only truck I have ever had that had to be put on a hook to get it home was two Ford service trucks. The one I currently have and the one before.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

According to my tax bills the last five years on my 2005 Cummins I do have a golden shoebox. The value at the Court House has went up the last 4 years. Yes, the value they have it worth in their book is more than it was 5 years ago in their book.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Chris

Btw the couple that traded the 05 in was an older couple that the gentleman didn't like towing with a manual tranny. Like I said the price was good because it had a manual transmission.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Calicajun wrote:
Those used prices are why we bought new.

Ditto.

The only cheap used HD trucks I found were 6.0/6.4 Ford diesels.

Sure you did.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB