cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walking on the roof

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
A year ago we bought a 3 year old Dutchman Lite Series M-25C-GS. It was very clean and we used it all year, accumulating a total of 14 weeks and 8000 miles of travel. We had no leaks or other issues and I parked it for the winter with the trailer cover in place. In March or April we plan on a heading south.

My question is โ€œcan I walk on the roofโ€ to do an inspection. While I have rinsed the roof off with a hose and checked the various seals as best I could from the edge but I would like to crawl up for a better look.

The roof does not leak now so I do not want to do any damage. Can the roof of a Lite Series M-25C-GS support a 225 lb. person?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
17 REPLIES 17

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the roof flat or curved? My Coleman is a clone of your TT - made by THOR, and I walk on it to put on the cover.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
You get some very strong Caravans in Australia, on the other hand you get some lightweight rigs as well

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Gulf Steam Streamlite and the manual says to use a 4' X 4' piece of 1/2" plywood. I've seen elsewhere on this forum where folks have used a sheet of thick styrofoam with good results. It's lighter and there's less chance of dropping it and having a corner puncture your roof as there would be with the 1/2" plywood.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at a thread I posted yesterday titled, "Great way to work on roof".
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

jmdprice
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Prowler Lynx, a very much entry level unit, advertises "fully walkable roof" in their sales brochure. I would not walk, but slide on a 3/3-1/2 plywood to spread the weight. Am getting up there today for the first time to install vent covers.
1997 24' Kit Companion. 2006 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 liter. I know, I know.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well here is the follow up. I sent an email to the manufacturer asking whether I could walk on the roof. The manufacturer requested the VIN to check their records. They came back as said not to walk on the roof.

I mention to them that the manual said to check the air conditioning which would require walking on the roof. I suggested laying down a plywood sheet.

The manufacturer suggested I use the old cement finisherโ€™s trick of two pieces of plywood.

I have an old sheet of plywood that I could cut in half and use two 4โ€™x4โ€™ pieces; although some recommended 3โ€™x3โ€™ might be handier.

At this point which ever size I use, I am going to keep my โ€œroof timeโ€ to a minimum.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 94 Dutchmen Classic with an alum roof. There was no way you could walk on it. I used 2 pieces of plywood to work on the roof. Each plywood panel was about 3' square.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't keep track of all the men so bought a Arctic Fox but now I can't remember the name of it half the time. BTW/You can walk on the roof of an Arctic Fox or Nash not that anyone asked.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd call them, and I did call coachmen. But you need to hear from the manufacturer. Not ALL TT roofs are strong enough to walk on. Generally speaking, and I mean VERY generally. If the TT has a factory ladder going up to the roof. You can walk on it. Best to call though.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
According to 2010 Dutchmen Brochure:
"Truss Style Walk-On Roof With Fiberglass Insulation"

Contact them to inquire:
Phone: (574) 537-0700
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the roof. Only old trailer, I would walk only on the support beams or near the edges. The roof on my new trailer is a lot sturdier and I don't worry about it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
When they are building them, the assemblers walk all over them to put the roof, vents, etc. on. Quite often, there is more than one assembler on them.

Not true at all. Scaffolding is used to prevent workers from being on the roof when at all possible.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lanerd,

Yes I make the Dutchmen/Dutchman error annoyingly often. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ You would think that with the big letters across the back it would be obvious.:B

I will pull up the Dutchmen forum to see what the factory has to say. I pulled up the Dutchmen product site and they listed every model but Dutchmen.

With the Thor merger I wonder if they are still a viable model. The DW and I really like ours.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Most are walkable, some are specifically stated as not walkable.
Only the manufacturer will know this.
Many of the not walkable ones are on "lite or ultra lite" TT's.
Many of these are built using scaffolding on each side, not multiple people walking on the roof. It all depends on the construction of your unit.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo