cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wards does not like the Eco-Boost

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
This is not going to look good for the new F-150.

LINK
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
57 REPLIES 57

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
We Cant Wait wrote:
We all knew that ALL auto mfrgs. have been padding their MPG figures all along. They get their #'s while running on a Dyno thus no wind resistance, and only 2 tires for rolling resistance. There's no way real world MPG can come close to Dyno MPG.

Curious why this is a manufacturer problem and how they can pad their EPA MPG figures. They do the testing according to EPA requirements and submit the results to the EPA. The EPA checks and approves the results. The EPA also does it's own testing on 10 to 15% of the vehicles. The blame should lie with the EPA for their mandated testing procedures and their approval of the test results, not with the manufacturers.

How vehicles are tested

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
From just a quick tally of those that have responded to this thread only 2 actually OWN an F150 Ecoboost... There were about 8 that according to their signature didn't own one and there were about 4 that didn't have a signature...

I actually OWN one of these things and I do get the advertised mpg figures with it... ๐Ÿ™‚

I've gotten 21 mpg on a 100% hwy run of about 160 miles and repeated on about a 200 mile trip.

On my daily commute to work of 18 miles, I'm getting 17 mpg. And that's with a lot of rush hour traffic both ways.

This is hand calculated figures too, but the computer has only been off by -.2 or -.3 on the actual pump gallons used, so the computers mpg figures are pretty close too.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I like to have fun with it too, so there are many freeway on ramp "boost" 0 to 60+ mph runs with it.. ๐Ÿ™‚

All you haters just go on and hate and us folks that actually drive these things and actually have a good rig will just go about our way too... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sure, there is a lot of talk of those not getting great mpg's.. If I really wanted to, I can make this thing only get 12 mpg too!

Towing, I get 10-11 mpg and that's fine. The power is incredible and I'm saving a ton of $$ in gas compared to driving my old 97 F150 that used to avg 14 mpg on my commute and got a best of 17 mpg on the hwy...

The only thing I have found on the Eco I don't like is the Sync system... My microphone no longer works, but it's a warranty thing and I haven't taken it in yet. When it actually works, it's pretty cool... Mine just don't work too good at the moment.. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Mitch

On edit, I see the article is about the 2.7 Eco... I've got the 3.5 so not the same thing... I would not want a 2.7 Eco... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Never met anyone who bought an Ecoboost and would admit he was disappointed in fuel mileage. Difficult for most owners who buy for mileage admit that the mileage sucked. They would rather brag about everything else,

Charlie,

I bought an EcoBoost and I will fully admit that I am not happy with the mileage I get. However, it is still better than my older 5.4 I was driving, as well as 6.0 Vortec. Best I have seen was last summer 20.1mpg on the highway, worst is around 13 in the winter. Usually I see around 15 with mixed.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
I own an ecoboost.
No I don't get the advertised fuel economy, but I like putting my foot in the turbos, and am willing to pay for that fun.
I also tow with it and love it.
Has anyone here, heard any one who owns one saying, they are disappointing with the towing performance?
If you are reading here and looking for fuel economy, you are lost.
It takes horse power to tow a heavy load. "if you want more power, burn more gas" pretty simple.
I have owned several 5.0's and Chevy small blocks. No comparison in my opinion.
I was out last weekend towing a 5000 lb TT into a 20 MPH headwind at 65 mph. It wanted to stay in 5th gear at 2000 rpm. Fine with me.
Without the headwind, I can tow with cruise on, in 6th at 1300 rpm.
Try that with a normally aspirated V8.
Instead of listening to the complaints from people who have never even driven one, why not ask the owner of one, if they would buy it again? I would and will.
I have also towed the same trailer with a Ford V8 2010 and the base V6 2006. They all got about the same gas mileage to produce the same result, towing or not.
Horse power = burning gas.

Winner ^^^^^^^
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Never met anyone who bought an Ecoboost and would admit he was disappointed in fuel mileage. Difficult for most owners who buy for mileage admit that the mileage sucked. They would rather brag about everything else,
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
wwest wrote:
The EcoBUST engine MUST run in derated mode when not using BOOST.

An N/A DFI engine can have a compression above 12:1 even 14:1 in some cases (Mazda).

Whereas a BOOSTED DFI engine MUST be derated, ~10:1 CR, in cruise, off-boost mode.

Most engines run in cruise mode 98% of the time.

Ford's EcoBUST FE problem is compounded by the fact of the CAC collecting water and oil as an emulsion in the bottom of the CAC outflow endcap. Roll a perfectly good EcoBUST engine out of the factory door, within just a few miles engine components will begin to fail (bent connecting rods) due to (partial) hydro-locking.

Ward, Don't you think you were a little hard on the beave last night?

LMAO - I wonder if he ever actually said that. :B

I agree, I got a chuckle out of the response too.

But a small detail....it wasn't 'he' who said it....it was Barbara Billingsley who played the Beav's mother...Mrs. June Cleaver.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody here ever seriously consider towing with a BMW honda nissan or Mini? Here's some good info.
http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analysis/10-best-engines-0

"Roll a perfectly good EcoBUST engine out of the factory door, within just a few miles engine components will begin to fail (bent connecting rods) due to (partial) hydro-locking".

C'mon, if this were true people would be screaming and they'd be recalling them.
Every news story I've read on them say "turbos are the wave of the future, it's just a matter of time till the other manufacturers figure this out".
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hannibal wrote:
wwest wrote:

An N/A DFI engine can have a compression above 12:1 even 14:1 in some cases (Mazda).

Whereas a BOOSTED DFI engine MUST be derated, ~10:1 CR, in cruise, off-boost mode.

Ford's EcoBUST FE problem is compounded by the fact of the CAC collecting water and oil as an emulsion in the bottom of the CAC outflow endcap. Roll a perfectly good EcoBUST engine out of the factory door, within just a few miles engine components will begin to fail (bent connecting rods) due to (partial) hydro-locking.

LMAO - I wonder if he ever actually said that. :B

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

wwest
Explorer
Explorer

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
BenK wrote:
There is a reason why EPA MPG goals does NOT apply to +8.5K GVWR vehicles

They are 'work' vehicles and anything lower are 'cars'

I do not know Wards and guess will have to find out how credible they are to me...

Ben as far as credibility goes, look at who Wards picked for 4th on the list some years ago. :B
I guess reliability wasn't factored into their evaluations:E
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
BenK wrote:
There is a reason why EPA MPG goals does NOT apply to +8.5K GVWR vehicles

They are 'work' vehicles and anything lower are 'cars'

I do not know Wards and guess will have to find out how credible they are to me...

Ben as far as credibility goes, look at who Wards picked for 4th on the list some years ago. :B

Now that's some funny sheet right there!:B

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
45Ricochet wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

ROTFLMAO

Wow, ya, that's puts them in the same league as Consumer Reports.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I've owned several Chrysler products as well as Ford products. I've never had any problem achieving either's rated fuel mileage. I easily get 14 city and 17+ interstate with my 5.4L F250 that the F150 was rated for. Even my Prius easily gives it's EPA rated 48mpg highway and 51mpg city. On the other hand, I can easily achieve much less than EPA rated fuel mileage on any vehicle with short trips in cold weather or excessive heavy pedal stop and go city or excessive speed on the interstate. I wouldn't refrain from buying a vehicle based on the likes or dislikes of the Lexus crowd. Damn the egg on the gas pedal trick. Put it on the brake pedal and you'll get EPA rated fuel mileage on any vehicle.

Hahaha I have yet to see ANY of the 20+ gasser trucks I've had get the epa est mileage. Cept maybe downhill with a tailwind. Lol
You must be that guy doing 53 mph down the freeway in the middle lane drafting a semi truck!

Not. I set cruise on 72-74mph most of the time. I have a friend/co-worker who can't hold a steady cruise. His right foot is on and off the gas constantly as he talks endlessly while he drives. He gets lousy mileage no matter what he drives. My guess is you're one of those.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

ROTFLMAO
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin