cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump - Not working right - well sorta

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
When using using the fresh water tank with the 12v water pump (no city water pressure), the water pressure/flow gurgles and flows very slowly as observed by looking at the lines themselves and by the flow at the end of the faucet.

The lines gurgle when engaged but the pump doesn't shut off as when the line is fully pressurized. You can hear the electrical motor running but that deep sound of the water pump running is largely absent. My guess is the pump motor (electrical bit) are fine ... it's just the pumping bits (diaphragm or impeller?) that is broken.

Any ideas and is there a kit to replace just the pumping bits?
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs
12 REPLIES 12

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the manufacturer of your rig, there may be a 1-way check valve between your pump and the tank to prevent back flow into the tank if the valve in the pump body were to fail.

If that valve gets stuck closed, gravity will not feed water into the pump from the tank and your pump will have nothing to prime from.

Also note on the really old Shurflos, they were horrible at self priming, and usually required the air to be fully purged from the system to get it to start.

Also, another thing to check.

If your rig has a winterization mode, there may be a T-valve by the tank that allows for the connecting of an external inlet line to pump anti-freeze into the system.

This valve needs to be set back to drawing from the tank and not the bypass line or it won't draw water out of the tank and will just continuously suck air.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it's turned off city outside where you hook up the hose.mine did the same thing, that was the problem

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump will not self-prime unless he reservoir is nearly full. On one occasion I found a crack in a plastic "L" joining two sections of PEX close to the pump which was allowing air to get sucked into the pump. Replaced the L, and also unscrewed the connector on the outlet side of the pump, & ran the pump to confirm water without a lot of bubbles was coming out.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Is the inline filter clogged? All pumps will have an inline filter on the suction side.

I checked that on the pump water input side, not clogged that I could see and the pressure is fine over in the Bathroom area, so I would think if clogged there, then all would be slow...

Also OP, I checked the faucet's filters, strainers too.. there's two of them, one on the end of faucet and one going into the handle..
Both appeared ok..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for a crack in the suction strainer casing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the inline filter clogged? All pumps will have an inline filter on the suction side.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air leaks only occur on pump SUCTION side

Any leak on pump DISCHARGE side would result in water leaking

Pump casing, suction strainer, suction hose clamps/fittings etc

And if pump is a Shurflo 2088 model.......obsolete/out of production several years ago/no parts.
So if you need to replace cause pump casing is cracked etc then get a Surflo 4008 (3gpm/55psi) or 4088 (4gpm/55psi)---direct replacements
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, going through the same thing, sorta...

Kitchen water is almost like a steady drip in Slooo-Mo.....
Shower/sink/toilet flow is fine and pump works fine (I think anyway, who knows with the Pounding sounds), it's just kitchen faucet.

Tried air compressor (small one) blowing out the lines from the pump output, not sure it was enough pressure.

In looking into it further, apparently there's a "Faucet Cartridge" in the kitchen faucet that can get clogged. It's a real PITA to get out and I'm taking it into the Shop, just don't have the tools/expertise to yank the whole thing out.

Earlier, I also did have the pump go out. It was acting screwy, like a short, but then eventually failed. I now recommend carrying an extra one when you have the chance. I went to an RV shop in Flagstaff, AZ and the pump was almost 2xs the cost on Amazon.. so just a heads up.

Not much help, but I feel the pain...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your replies. Full fresh water tank, all faucets closed, no outside hand faucet, all valves set for camping and by-pass open to Hot water tank. Air leak sounds like a likely cause. Never had one so I'll just try to track it down.

I'm guessing you start at the water pump and work out? At first I though maybe the connection between the fresh water tank and the pump was loose or corrupt. Maybe I'll start there. Is there a water pickup" in the fresh water tank .... that might be plugged? Not looking forward to this due to the limited basement space to work in.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes at the city water inlet there is a little valve that seals when disconnected from the city water.I have used just a small nail to push it in/then it pops out, and it reseals itself.

Just a possibility that I have encountered a few times.

Make sure the bypass is in the correct position also.Another of my minor mistakes with the water system.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, sounds like an air leak. Also check the outside shower taps, make sure they are also closed. It may take a while to track the air leak down, or it may just be a loose fitting, not fully closed tap... usually it is something simple, but not always.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds more like an air leak or something.

Is there enough water in the tank?
Are the flow valves fully set for camping and not bypass?
Are the two showers turned off at the valves (not just the heads)?
Are ALL the faucets in the house in proper working order?

I've taken my Shurflow apart and they are pretty simple, and reliable. Not much to go wrong inside. I was able to get mine working again with just a good cleaning. I'd look elsewhere for a cause before working on the pump itself.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.