cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump problem?

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
On our last trip of this season, we ran out of water in our fresh tank. The sensor still said 1/3 left, but you all know those sensors.....went to fill it up and it only took 35 gallons. That meant there was stil about 17 gallons in the tank when the pump stopped pumping. Maybe I'm going crazy so I forgot about it. A few days later, no more water (long trip with only elec hookups). Fill the tank again (again the sensor read still 1/3 left) and again, it only took 35 gallons. Any chance this little junk pump is starting to go bad? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Always looking for the perfect site.
8 REPLIES 8

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Here is the problems I found with my KZ:

1. Most of the fresh water spilled out the vents when traveling on curvy roads.

2. The supply port was above the bottom of the tank so that about 20% was not accessed.

3. The tank was supported by only three straps causing downward sagging that wasted capacity.

To fix these problems, the vents were moved to a level above the tank, the supply was moved to the drain port and two straps were added to reduce sagging.

Make sure that your trailer frame is level side to side and front to back. Don't take the advice about leveling any other way. A water tank is usually very short in height and even an inch out of level is a lot of water.

I agree with nearly everything Lynnmor says. I also added straps and fixed the vent tubes. As for leveling, you may want to be slightly off level in the direction of your supply ports.

The trailer in question has a "sealed" underbelly, so the OP probably can't tell which way to tilt the trailer. If the port is not near a tank corner, tilting won't help. If the system doesn't work, when the trailer is level, then the system needs to be corrected.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:

2. The supply port was above the bottom of the tank so that about 20% was not accessed.

3. The tank was supported by only three straps causing downward sagging that wasted capacity.

To fix these problems, the vents were moved to a level above the tank, the supply was moved to the drain port and two straps were added to reduce sagging.

Make sure that your trailer frame is level side to side and front to back. Don't take the advice about leveling any other way. A water tank is usually very short in height and even an inch out of level is a lot of water.

I agree with nearly everything Lynnmor says. I also added straps and fixed the vent tubes. As for leveling, you may want to be slightly off level in the direction of your supply ports.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since the pump works fine with more water in the tank then I think it is fine.
If you really want to fix this you going to have to expose the tank and all its plumbing. I suspect when you do that the cause will become obvious.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might be able to pull the suction tube out from the top. It should be visible from the inlet side of the pump. It is possible that suction tube has a hole in it or for some reason does not got to the bottom of the tank anymore. It is also possible the pump is going bad and won't create enough lift to get the last 1/3 out.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank is 52 gal. Yes it pumps fine when it is full. Big problem is that the whole underside is sealed....part of their "winter package". It worked fine all season until our October trip.
Always looking for the perfect site.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
IF the water pump worked fine when greater than 1/3 full, I would suspect it is the tube leading to the water pump rather than the pump itself. Chances are it isn't reaching the bottom of the tank.

Your fresh water tank holds 43 gallons?
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but does it pump when the tank is full?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)