cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We are considering a new tow vehicle.

curtbaker
Explorer
Explorer
We now have a 2005 Suburban 2500 w/Vortec 8100 496 cu in V8 (325 hp at 4200 rpm and 447 lbยทft of torque at 3200 rpm) and 4.11 axle ratio. It is rated to tow 12,500 lbs and our trailer is a Keystone Outback KRS 23' with the garage in front where we store an 800 lb. HD Road Glide. The trailer is 7500 lbs. loaded. The tongue weight is a little close to max due to the bike in front.

Our Suburban is almost pristine, very well taken care off and just had a new cam and lifters installed at 200K miles. Maybe it's time to get a newer tow vehicle, maybe not.

POSSIBILITIES:

2015/16 Ford Expedition w/3.5L EcoBoostยฎ V6 - 365 @ 5,000 420 lb torque @ 2,250 - tow capacity 9200 lbs

2015/16 Chevy Tahoe w/EcoTec3 5.3L V8 - 355 hp 383 lb torque - tow capacity 8600 lbs. w/3.42 axle ratio

2015/16 Yukon Denali w/6.2L V8 - 440 hp 420 lbs torque - tow capacity 8400 lbs.

QUESTIONS:

What will the towing experience be with any of these new vehicles compared to our "old" Suburban? The tow ratings are much lower but there is 10 years of newer technology to consider.

How can they get that much torque/tow capacity from the Ford? It seems like a less substantial vehicle although I haven't checked the weight.

Why does the Yukon Denali have less tow capacity than the Tahoe? I believe the axle ratio is higher but the engine is larger ...?
23 REPLIES 23

curtbaker
Explorer
Explorer
thanks again to all for some great info ...

it now looks like a pickup truck is in our future ... maybe a Chevy High Country.

Curt Baker

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my old '98 Suburban 2500/454 and from what I've learned your Suburban with the 8.1 is a fantastic tow vehicle, too bad GM dropped it. I considered the Denali with the 6.2 but it's only available in a 1500, not the 3/4 ton. I wanted the 2500 with the bigger chassis, bigger brakes, etc. The shorter wheel base Tahoe with the 5.3 wasn't even a consideration for me. I can't speak about the Expedition except the specs on it aren't that impressive and it is also a half ton.
I ended up spending more than I planned and bought a 2013 GMC crew cab with the Duramax and Allison 6 speed transmission. This truck is awesome and I'm so glad I bought it.

jonny5cam
Explorer
Explorer
None of the engines listed will give you the towing ease of the 8.1L because none of them have the effortless "low end" torque the big block has. It's got 455 ft lbs at 3200 rpm and 400 ft lbs at 1100 rpms. You've got to really wring out an eco boost to even aproach those kind of numbers. The 6.2, not as much. Think about all of those 5% grades that your Suburban takes without downshifting. It's diesel like. I know because I,ve pulled my 8000 lb rig all over the southeast with my 2001 2500.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
curtbaker wrote:
why not a pickup truck?

if we got a pickup it would have to be a long one with large crew cab and long bed in case we switch to a 5th wheel. might not be able to close the garage door. even with a nice bed cover the space in the bed is not anyway near as useful as in the Suburban. wife doesn't like pickups ... says it makes us look like a bunch of hillbillies (just kiddin') Thanks again for all the excellent replies ...

Curt Baker

What would you do with the suburban if you switch to a 5th wheel?

A crew cab 2500 short box is about the same length as a suburban, you don't need a long box.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

curtbaker
Explorer
Explorer
why not a pickup truck?

if we got a pickup it would have to be a long one with large crew cab and long bed in case we switch to a 5th wheel. might not be able to close the garage door. even with a nice bed cover the space in the bed is not anyway near as useful as in the Suburban. wife doesn't like pickups ... says it makes us look like a bunch of hillbillies (just kiddin') Thanks again for all the excellent replies ...

Curt Baker

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
totally out in left field, but any reason why a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW crew cab with a truck cap won't work for your needs?
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

APT
Explorer
Explorer
No 2007+ SUV can support more than 1000 pounds of TW. I highly recommend either a trip to the scales or a Sherline scale in order to understand exactly how much tongue weight you have. I suspect you are well over 1000 pounds.

Power and suspension wise, the 2008-2013 GM 3/4 tons are great.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
curtbaker wrote:
WOW! ... thank you all for the help!

It sounds to me like most all can eaisily see how hard it is to give up the TV we have. We are going to look at 2013 Suburban's. (last year of 2500's)

Curt Baker

Great Choice!!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

curtbaker
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! ... thank you all for the help!

It sounds to me like most all can eaisily see how hard it is to give up the TV we have. We are going to look at 2013 Suburban's. (last year of 2500's)

Curt Baker

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone's situation is different, for me, my truck is only used sparingly. I pull the boat or camper with it, the occasional trip to the hardware store etc. It's a 2005 and has about 60k miles on it. So for me fuel mileage isn't a huge concern. The thing about an 8.1 versus say a 5.3 or equivalent Ford, Dodge, Toyota etc "small block" is that the fuel economy doesn't drop off as hard while towing. Your 8.1 Burb will likely get as good of fuel mileage as any of the newer SUV's pulling that trailer. However if this truck will be your daily driver then the newer truck will most certainly get better mileage and drive better unloaded. 200k isn't that big a deal if the truck has been taken care of, and it sounds like it has. Your drivetrain is very reliable, it's the electronic gizmos in the GM trucks from that era that you have to watch out for, but not necessarily something that's gonna leave you stranded on the side of the road.
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't change but you will have no problem selling the Sub 2500 with the 8.1L.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

ksu_j
Explorer
Explorer
I just made the change myself from a 2004 Suburban with the 8.1 and 4.10 rear end to a newer 3/4 Suburban with the 6.0 and 6speed. I've only done a short tow with the new(er) suburban, but I can tell you the 8.1 with the low gears pulled better, although not by much. The 6speed really helps make up for the less torque of the newer engine.

Where the newer Suburban (a 2008) shines is on non-towing duty. I don't pull my camper all that much other than a few short trips a year and one long trip each summer. The 2008 is getting over 50% better unloaded fuel mileage than the big block did. Interstate drives which used to be done at 2800 RPM's at 75mph can now be done at 82mph with the engine loping along at 2,000 RPMs.

Unloaded mileage on the 8.1 was 9-10 mpg average, with a best ever of 12. Unloaded mileage on the 6.0 has never been worse than 14. If I'd ever slow down on the highway, I think 16 or 17 would be easily achievable.

All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade. Looks a little newer, is A LOT quieter on the inside, and is a bit easier on the pocket book at the gas pump. (Note: The 2008 3/4 ton Suburban has a 39 gallon gas tank. At 15mpg, you can go A LONG ways on a single tank of gas)
2002 25' KZ Frontier
2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yeah for the most part, I agree the 8.1 Burbs and excursions don't have an apples to apples replacement anymore, especially in chassis/ Gvw.
But 200kmi+ and 12 years is a lot of use. You can keep it running but imo youre to the point of spending $ to keep it up. And peace of mind gets less with a hi miler doing tow duty.
On the upside, and I'm guessing, but the new chassis, more gears, newer tech, etc make a new expy or 1500 suburban a very capable tow rig that likely only needs some heavy duty tires and a little help in the rear suspension to make it as capable as your current rig.
If I was set on a new rig and a pickup wasn't an option, go 6.2 GM or Eco boost and don't look back.
One of the guys I brought up to AK for my last project towed his 35? Ft enclosed race trailer up there from GA with a new Ram dually. Ended up selling his Ram and wife's diesel grand Cherokee. Bought an Expedition Eco boost long wheel base.
Towed the trailer back to the L48 with the Expe and said he was keeping it to tow that trailer. Handled well in fact he had a boulder come down off a hill swerve/avoid etc. Rock ended up smashing the side of the trailer in back pretty bad. Said that Expe handled the trailer well.
Jmo get a 6.2 Burb and travel in style.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
I keep what you have for as long as possible. Anything else will be a downgrade.

agreed
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637