Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch or Air Lift System?? Help

freddy4toes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Brand New To This Great Forum...
I just bought a brand new 2018 Grand Design TT 37' "Reflection". Love the trailer, but now I need to set up my truck with the Hitch or an Air Bag System. Can some of you pro's out there(sure not me)tell me what the benefit is... one over the other, for me doing just the air lift system 7500lbs or a Weight Distribution Hitch. I have a 2012 Ford Crew cab 4x4 F350, Dual rear wheels, long bed, King Ranch, 6.7L Diesel, that I'm going to be buying soon. It has 30,000 miles on it and I don't know which way is going to be better. Stand alone Air Lift System or the Weight Distribution Hitch. The trailer is around 1,000lbs at the tongue and the trailer will be around 12,500lbs. Thanks for any suggestions??
23 REPLIES 23

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
delete double post

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 F350 dually CC long bed. My ~7200 lb TT has about 1000 lbs tongue weight with the front water tank full. I also have firestone airbags but only have them at 15 psi with the water tank full. The best part is hooking and unhooking with the airbag pressure adjustment switches, full pressure, lower the jack then let the air out and the ball falls right out without loading up and stressing the jack.
If you load really heavy you can add some air so your headlights arenโ€™t too high.

Weight distribution hitch is mandatory. Airbags optional.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
freddy4toes wrote:
I'm leaning towards a WDH. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Were I you. I would lean a little more. Air bags do NOTHING to return lost steering control to the truck. All they do it lift the rear. You will still have light steering that can cause sway.

A WDH returns lost steering control, and braking to the steering axle. It is as much of a safety devise, as anything on the truck. A WDH will make you more safe, AND level the truck. Win, win. If you go with the air bag. There is a good chance you will find you need the WDH as well. 12 to 1400lbs is a lot to hang off the back of any truck. Like a seesaw that weight will in all likely hood raise the front end. Even if it does have a diesel trying to hold it down.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

freddy4toes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaning towards a WDH. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Apples and oranges. Like said above, the WDH distributes weight to the front axle. If needed, you can add air bags to bring up the rear if it sags too much after correctly adjusting the weight distribution. Of course a minor correction may be needed to the WDH after installing air bags.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
freddy4toes wrote:
Love the trailer, but now I need to set up my truck with the Hitch or an Air Bag System.

No you don't - air bags may make the truck look pretty by allowing it to run level with the trailer sitting on the hitch but won't do a darned thing to transfer weight back on to the truck's front steer axle where it belongs. A properly sized and adjusted WD system will. Just a suggestion but for that size of trailer I'd be looking at a Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P which stop sway before it even starts, not just dampen sway that's already occurring.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

freddy4toes
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank both of you for your opinions. I really appreciate all the information.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
freddy4toes wrote:
I'm Brand New To This Great Forum...
I just bought a brand new 2018 Grand Design TT 37' "Reflection". Love the trailer, but now I need to set up my truck with the Hitch or an Air Bag System. Can some of you pro's out there(sure not me)tell me what the benefit is... one over the other, for me doing just the air lift system 7500lbs or a Weight Distribution Hitch. I have a 2012 Ford Crew cab 4x4 F350, Dual rear wheels, long bed, King Ranch, 6.7L Diesel, that I'm going to be buying soon. It has 30,000 miles on it and I don't know which way is going to be better. Stand alone Air Lift System or the Weight Distribution Hitch. The trailer is around 1,000lbs at the tongue and the trailer will be around 12,500lbs. Thanks for any suggestions??

Which TT I have a 315 and it's tongue empty is almost 1200# some who have it scale at 1700#. In a word WDH YES. Just a not I have the 200# blue ox and also a set of 1500# for when I have less weight.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my opinion you should have the weight distribution system. A TT when hooked up to the truck will "unload" the front axle. A WDH will transfers weight off the back axle (reduce sag) and put it back onto the front axle. A very desirable outcome. Is it necessary for a 1 ton truck - no; is it beneficial - yes. If your going to do and air bag or a WDH, why not restore weight to the front end in the process?