cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch Question

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie TT question. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW with a payload capacity of 4,022lbs. Do I need a weight distribution hitch for a TT with a dry tongue weight of 643lbs?
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2
29 REPLIES 29

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I don't have to use WDH with my rig but I still do because the Equal-izer WDH incorporates sway control into the hitch.

Makes me feel safer and more confident of the rig.

Bingo! If you "Think" you need something, then you need it. Perception is reality. "Feeling" safer is almost as good as being safer. If the OP has any fear about not using a WD hitch then he certainly should, or every twitch or bump in the road will make him think he is missing something.

Nope, not even close.

That would be just the SAME thing as having a bunch of beers or a few shots of Whiskey, THEN driving.. Your "judgement" becomes impaired making YOU "feel safe" all the while risking not only your life but others.

First and foremost is to ENSURE you have ENOUGH HITCH WEIGHT for the trailer. A Properly loaded trailer will tend to not sway.

Not enough tongue weight for the trailer or too much weight behind the trailer axles and you are setup for disaster EVEN WITH WD AND ANTI SWAY DEVICES.

As long as you have enough tongue weight AND you are not overloading your tow vehicles rear axle or other tow vehicle specs WD becomes less effective and can be optional.

WD was designed to overcome shortcomings of lighter less capable tow vehicles and of itself is not really a "safety device" per say as far as sway goes..

I myself have never felt the "need" to use WD, instead I optioned to go with a tow vehicle that has plenty of capacity (some would say overkill) for my loads..

I spend a bit more for a more capable vehicle instead of choosing to be on the cheap side and buying a less capable vehicle then masking it's short comings with a bandaid (WD).

My choice HAS earned dividends not once but several times over the years having to make emergency maneuvers to avoid crashing into deer running across the road in front of me.. If I had a lesser vehicle and using WD the outcome would not have been pretty.

deer30084
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
deer30084 wrote:
Well I have another question. I am using an Eaz-Lift 750 Weight Distribution hitch that I bought in 1996 for my first travel trailer. So that makes it about 22 years old. Anybody know the lifespand of these hitches? I was told they would outlive me.

If it has trunnion style spring bars, check the trunnion ends and the pockets where they fit to the hitch head. Those tend to wear after a while.

Thanks. It's not the trunnion style.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I don't have to use WDH with my rig but I still do because the Equal-izer WDH incorporates sway control into the hitch.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought a Reese HP WDH with no sway control to satisfy the 650 lb weight capacity of the truck's receiver. With WD it's rated for 1250. We towed with it for a year and had no sway. Push and pull from passing trucks with a cross wind was a little annoying but never scary. Then I saw a barely used Equalizer 10k 4 point hitch on ebay for a song. Even with a little lube on the L brackets to keep it quiet, it provides enough control to keep it solid with passing trucks. It simply feels better.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Bingo! If you "Think" you need something, then you need it. Perception is reality. "Feeling" safer is almost as good as being safer. If the OP has any fear about not using a WD hitch then he certainly should, or every twitch or bump in the road will make him think he is missing something.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
garysol wrote:
Newbie TT question. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW with a payload capacity of 4,022lbs. Do I need a weight distribution hitch for a TT with a dry tongue weight of 643lbs?

Tvov wrote:
Are you getting a new TT, or is this question from a friend? Or are you just bored and asking a question on a slow morning?

The OP was quite clear, saying he's asking a "Newbie TT question". If you had bothered to read the OP's concurrent parallel discussion about downsizing from a large 5th to a 30' travel trailer you wouldn't be posting such dumb & insulting comments. :R

Holy mackerel!! It is just the beginning of winter, and if the forums are already getting this touchy, it should be interesting come February!

They are real questions. NO, I did not "follow" the original poster to see all of his threads, I just read this one. I don't usually track and shadow individual posters, I just read threads as I see them.

But... seeing in the OP's signature that he is an experienced RV'r, I thought he maybe was asking for a friend.

If not, I thought he was just curious about weights, towing, trailers, and possibly on a bored morning over coffee thought that it would be a good theoretical thread about weights and towing.

Thank you garysol for simply answering my post.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
deer30084 wrote:
Well I have another question. I am using an Eaz-Lift 750 Weight Distribution hitch that I bought in 1996 for my first travel trailer. So that makes it about 22 years old. Anybody know the lifespand of these hitches? I was told they would outlive me.

If it has trunnion style spring bars, check the trunnion ends and the pockets where they fit to the hitch head. Those tend to wear after a while.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
deer30084 wrote:

The one on my old trailer is 32 years old and works just fine. You were told correctly if they are treated correctly.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

deer30084
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
One of the pluses of downsizing can be the elimination of WD hitches. Get an electric tongue jack and you will be hitched up and out of the park while some other guys are still looking for their pry bar. To the OP. You have received a few comments, but what does your owner's manual say on this subject? GM is very helpful on what is required for towing in their manuals.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i would try it without one first and see how she rides. i have a 33ft TT. i pulled it with an f150 with WDH for about 4 months. recently updgraded to a f250 gasser. i already had the the WDH so i haven't even tried to tow without it because its so comfortable. why tinker with a good setup and it only takes a couple of minutes to hook up or unhook. one thing i did learn that i hadn't thought of before concerning the weight distribution. my f250 is 2 wheel drive. i park the TT a home in a grassy back yard area on a slope. the first time i hooked up to tow the TT i hooked up WDH completely. i had a problem getting traction going uphill. new to me because my f150 is 4x4. then it hit me. duh! the WDH is moving weight off my truck tongue so it was too light to get hill traction. next trip i hooked up TT on ball hitch backed up and pulled TT uphill to my driveway with no problem, then hooked up WDH in my driveway.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I wonder how they came up with 1,181, better not go to 1,182 ๐Ÿ™‚

I better not load up that last box of twinkies.....lol
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder how they came up with 1,181, better not go to 1,182 ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Look at your reciever, see what the dead hitch weight rating for it, chances are you will be over it with out a equalizer. My class 5 has a dead weight reating of 1200 pounds, I have a crew cab, 8' box, dually, I tow an enclosed trailer with a hitch weight of approx. 1000 pounds and have had no issues for over 300,000 miles.

Is that figure on the receiver itself? I spent an hour online yesterday trying to come up with receiver hitch capacity but all I keep finding is payload and overall towing capacities. Thanks

UPDATE: I found it thanks to the term "dead hitch weight" Looks like I am rated at 1,181.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2