cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution with sway control question

BobbyHJ
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what the differences are between the straight line (CAM) and the 4 - Point weight distribution with sway control. Which one is better, and why? I assume the 2 -point distribution system is more for WD.

Thanks.
38 REPLIES 38

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Anderson is a great idea and is probably easier to install at the beginning of a trip than other systems like the Equalizer (maybe). However, it doesn't have the active sway control of the DC. The Anderson resists movement but doesn't actually apply force to move the truck and trailer back in-line.
I've found this feature to be most helpful in some situations and would prefer it over any system that doesn't do it.
I believe the Husky Center Line system also has active control (could be wrong).

I am not bashing the Anderson, just pointing out an observation.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Equal-i-zer and it worked well. It was easy for me to install without drilling anything. I've read that the Reese is harder to set up correctly (and RV dealers don't always get it set right, either).

The 2-point provides some anti-sway friction, but the 4-point will do more.

I liked the Andersen better than the Equal-i-zer mainly because it was easier to deal with chains than heavy, long bars when disconnecting and reconnecting. It worked just as well, too. Only, the Andersen is best for trailers under about 7K lbs as it cannot level the rig properly when there's a lot of tongue weight.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Timtation wrote:
I found the Andersen a great improvement over the system installed on my trailer. Control, ride, ease of connection and feeling of safety all improved. Picture this, you are on a rough road, staying in your lane, getting feedback from the trailer through the hitch system, you're on edge, your wife wishes she were smaller in all possible manners related to dynamic comfort and you change systems and the feedback is reduced by 90% as are the previous objections but you find no difference in control, perhaps better control due to better attention!
As long as my load is in the range, my hitch will be Andersen.

Agree wholeheartedly.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I personally prefer the Reese DC, simple and effective.

The one issue being, some trailer manufacturers install the Propane tanks forward of battery making it difficult to install chain lifts vertically of cams.

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
I found the Andersen a great improvement over the system installed on my trailer. Control, ride, ease of connection and feeling of safety all improved. Picture this, you are on a rough road, staying in your lane, getting feedback from the trailer through the hitch system, you're on edge, your wife wishes she were smaller in all possible manners related to dynamic comfort and you change systems and the feedback is reduced by 90% as are the previous objections but you find no difference in control, perhaps better control due to better attention!
As long as my load is in the range, my hitch will be Andersen.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The beauty of the dual cam is it actually pushes the trailer back in line with the tow vehicle.
That being said, there are lots of different technologies that strive to achieve the same thing. Some use other methods to help force vehicle and trialer in-line. I haven't tried them all but I far prefer the perfromance of the DC over the Equalizer I had.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Reese Dual Cam and my current Equal-i-zer 4 point with success. I had to switch to the 4 point when I changed trailers. The V-nose covers much of the hitch area so that there is no room to mount chain lifts. It has to be under-slung to work on my current trailer.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, openspaces.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
That really is a Ford vs Chevy type of discussion.They are both good in their own way and both are fairly effective.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup