cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did your previous vehicle cost you?

Bedlam
I recently sold my 2005 F250 and wanted to see what the vehicle actually cost me, so I added up purchase price, upgrades, service, repairs, wear items, insurance and registration then subtracted the selling price. The only other expenses I had was fuel which I kept out of the calculations. I figured this was cost for me to own the vehicle with depreciation (purchased new) and came up with $325 month. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
23 REPLIES 23

dedbird
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my 2004 Dmax/Allison on a Silverado with the tow package.

I kept every bill from new. It kinda gave me justice to pull the trigger.

Including oil changes, tires, everything $14,980.00

Always dealer serviced. The truck had 249k/kms

Bedlam
This thread is not about discouraging anyone from their passion or interests. It's about what a vehicle really cost you over the length of your ownership. I know some people would rather not add up what their chosen lifestyle costs, but I like to look at how fast I am burning through money compared to what I bring in and how much enjoyment I get out of that self-built bonfire. If you indulge in a hobby where you are constantly worried about the cost, you need to reorganize your priorities because you are missing out on the enjoyment.

I cannot afford to finance fun because the end cost is too much for what I earn. For me to replace/buy toys or vacation requires saving until I have available funds. My latest vehicle required ten years of saving (making payments to myself). Not having to pay someone else interest for a purchase has allowed me to travel more and pay off debts. As I mentioned before, these calculations are about the balance between work and life. Each person tips the scales a little differently.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My current truck is costing me about $420/month for depreciation insurance and repairs.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
The real cost of the Rv lifestyle can be quite high. So is eating out regularly and booze and drugs and many other optional persuits I'm not interested in. We all make choices and identify what it is that keeps us going. I mostly feel increadibly lucky to be able to do the Rv thing as a hobby. Knowing what it costs would only mean I'd have to compare that against flights car rental and motel and I'm pretty sure it is more. But I also get more out of it. Much more. Sitting at home wishing I'd done something is not an option.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds pretty reasonable, really, but you forgot the price of a new one added in there. So, you paid out that much, but then from the old purchase price to the new purchase price you add that in too.. Almost 120 months.. at 250 a month.. thats up only $3000 a year.

Mind you, you also have to include your ability to pay the inflationary amount, maybe that compensates for the new price somewhat.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

You are the only one.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost every vehicle on the road is a terrible investment. They depreciate, cost money to maintain, and are expensive to buy.

You're far better off taking $10, $20, or $50k and putting in the bank. But, I don't want to walk 15 miles to work - so I drive. I buy what I want because I can afford it.
🙂
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Last truck:
- $2500 purchase price
- around $3000 repairs and maintenance.
- Sold for $1700.

Over 5 years and 100k miles, that cost us $3800 or around $65/month (not counting fuel or insurance)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
I recently sold my 2005 F250 and wanted to see what the vehicle actually cost me, so I added up purchase price, upgrades, service, repairs, wear items, insurance and registration then subtracted the selling price. The only other expenses I had was fuel which I kept out of the calculations. I figured this was cost for me to own the vehicle with depreciation (purchased new) and came up with $325 month. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

But what about the cost of your travel trailer ot Fiver? You should factor that in as well.
But personally, I don't want to know what my costs are. They are sunk costs and my 2002 3/4 ton Dodge and 2011 TT take me to places that are priceless.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bought new in 2005 F150 4x4 etc , don,t no the cost ,its out in the barn some where? I do drive it couple K a yr. I looked it up on nada and its still worth a good chunk.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My calculator came up with $327 per month and I still own it.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know and could really care less. At almost 11 years old and with 177k miles and counting I am not planning on replacing it for a long time yet. Accidents do happen though.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at about 21¢ a mile with my '04 excursion. Some people drive only a few months a year so per month doesn't mean much to me. I bought my '47 olds about 25 years ago for $1000 and put on about 2000 miles. Tax and ins are very cheap so I'm at about $50 a year, that doesn't mean anything.

Bedlam
Experiencing life is definitely worth the cost, but all of us want to get the most out of life. This may mean having to work less to be able to do more - I'm a firm believer that you can always make more money, but you cannot make more time. So the question always becomes how do I balance the work that will pay for experiences yet not spend all my time making the money.